Orcish Incursion

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Disto

Orcish Incursion

Post by Disto »

While the scenario *whatever the mages name is* the quick is hinted at that it is impossible to do with brute force. I managed to tear through it with fair ease. I know it's meant to be a noob campaign but it was too easy. There were a couple of very tense bits but i only lost the horsemen and keeped all my lv 3 elves.
Attachments
Linaera_the_Quick_replay.zip
Fake zip
(93.17 KiB) Downloaded 296 times
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
jp30

Re: Orcish Incursion

Post by jp30 »

Disto wrote:While the scenario *whatever the mages name is* the quick is hinted at that it is impossible to do with brute force. I managed to tear through it with fair ease. I know it's meant to be a noob campaign but it was too easy. There were a couple of very tense bits but i only lost the horsemen and keeped all my lv 3 elves.
You're right, it needs some balancing. One problem is that Linaera (that's the mage) isn't really strong enough on her own to tip the balance in the players favour if the scenario is made much harder. She actually starts to make it harder as the baddies can win by assassinating her!

I'd like suggestions on what I could do with this level - remember that the idea is to train the player to use teleportation effectively...

At the moment I'm thinking of giving the player two silver mages to play with, while making the the orcs a lot tougher. I might also make the map bigger so that teleportation is an advantage (though I'm reluctant to do that as, at the moment, all the OI maps are the same size, and I think this contributes to the feel of the campaign).
Invisible Philosopher

Post by Invisible Philosopher »

jp30 wrote:I'd like suggestions on what I could do with this level - remember that the idea is to train the player to use teleportation effectively...
I should know, I made Wesvoid that incorporates many uses of teleportation with your leader. Although teleportation is more strategic with a leader, who has other jobs to do. It's obviously most useful for assassination. It can be used for backup wherever the battle is going badly. In fog, it can sit on a village and reveal lots of area around controlled villages.

Carefully placed villages are the key to making them useful (or un-useful). Near where enemies/fights are, plus some in safer locations to retreat to, are effective places. Near the enemy's castle and near the battlefield in a way that you get the village first. And of course more villages anywhere is helpful for a teleporting unit.
jp30 wrote:She actually starts to make it harder as the baddies can win by assassinating her!
As long as there are villages to escape with, you (the player) should be able to hide her in some safe corner to alleviate the problem (assuming there is a safe corner!) Of course, that will not help train the player to use teleportation well...

All of these are general suggestions though, since I haven't played that campaign. :)
Play a Silver Mage in the Wesvoid campaign.
jp30

Post by jp30 »

Invisible Philosopher wrote:I should know, I made Wesvoid that incorporates many uses of teleportation... All of these are general suggestions though, since I haven't played that campaign. :)
Thanks for the suggestions. I know what the player is supposed to be doing with teleportation in this scenario: just the sorts of thing you suggested. Those strategies are already pretty effective in this scenario, the question is how to set thing up so that "brute force" is less effective, while keeping the scenario interesting.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Well, without playing the scenario here is an idea: you could set up events where new enemy units are summoned each time a player's units pass certain points. The more units that pass the harder it gets, while your mage can happily flit back and forth ... without passing those triggers. It would be best if these trigger points had something obvious that had to be avoided.
jp30

new version

Post by jp30 »

OK, I've rebalanced this level in the latest release of Incursion.

You now get two silver mages to play with, and only have to keep one alive. The orcs get more gold and income, and will only recruit level 2 units.

I'm interested in feedback on whether it's still too easy (earlier scenarios have changed too - so you will want to replay the campaign from the start).