Unit Guide

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

darkeye28

Unit Guide

Post by darkeye28 »

Hi Guys, I play Wesnoth since version 1.2, so I decided to make one individual unit guide. In this guide i will list every unit of default faction and give it a brief description, listing the pros and cons of it.
NOTE: I don't speak English so well, correct me if I make a mistake
Drakes
lv1--Drake Burner: This unit has a good ranged fire attack and a blade melee, the only problem is that it has very low defense in most terrain.
lv2----Drake Flare: Now your unit got leadership, so it can help low level units to deal more damage.
lv3------Drake Flameheart: Even more leadership power and more damage.
lv2----Fire Drake: Fire attack get more hits... and more damage!
lv3------Inferno Drake: Well, now you got a really high fire damage... time to burn your enemies!
lv1--Drake Clasher: This unit has two types of melee, but it has no ranged, it also gets first strike on the pierce attack.
lv2----Drake Arbiter: You get even more damage and keeps first strike, but you have less attacks that the other branch...
lv3------Drake Warden: This monster is perfect for defense, and get a huge damage boost.
lv2----Drake Thrasher: In this branch you will get more attack options, including impact, making this unit better against undeads, and also you have more hp.
lv3------Drake Enforcer: Another monster that deal very high damage.
Drake Fighter: This one is a bit weaker than the Clasher, but cheaper and it has a ranged attack, which gives it the ability to counter bowman (pierce is effective against drakes, so a ranged attack is very good for them).
Drake Glider: This unit has 40% defense on most terrain, has 8 mp and has marksman in ranged, yes, it is your scout.
Saurian Augur: Wow, a cheap mage that can heal, and has very good defenses, you can't ask better.
Saurian Skirmisher: A unit with very good defenses, that has skirmisher, perfect to kill wounded enemies.

Knalgan Alliance
Dwarvish Fighter: Two types of melee, good hp and fast in mountains, a perfect fighter
Dwarvish Guardsman: More expensive and weaker than the Fighter, so why do you want him? Because he has steadfast, an ability that doubles resistances when he is defending (up to a max of 50%).
Dwarvish Thunderer: Well this one will make you angry, because it only attacks once with its gun, so it often misses causing 0 damage, but it is a powerful attack if it hits.
Dwarvish Ulfserker: This guy will literary not stop attacking until he or his enemy dies, so it has over 80% of chance to kill most ranged units.
Footpad: Want a cheap scout with an impact ranged attack? Pick this guy, he is very fast and has high defenses.
Gryphon Rider: So, you don't like Footpad? Pick this guy, he is more expensive, but he can fly and it does more damage.
Poacher: Need a ranged that doesn't have high chances do miss? Pick this guy, he is cheap and advances very quick, just make him stay in the woods.
Thief: This unit has the backstab ability, causing double damage when attacking from behind, which makes it a good supporter.

Loyalists
Bowman: This unit is a very good at ranged, but lack melee and resistance.
Cavalryman: This one is fast and strong, and is perfect for tactical strategies.
Fencer: The Fencer is a skirmisher, so it is a good unit to take down units trying to heal in villages.
Heavy Infantryman: The `HI´ is your tank, he has nice resistances, but is slow and can't defend very well.
Horseman: His charge ability double his damage, but double the retaliation damage too (only when attacking). He is also very fast.
Mage: The mage has very high chances to hit and does very high damage to undead, making it a very useful unit.
Merman Fighter: The Merman is fast and has good defenses on water, so it is a good unit on water based scenarios.
Spearman: With first strike and a good melee, this unit is very useful (at least against LIVING creatures).

Northerners
Goblin Spearman: What? A level 0 unit? Yeah, for only 9g you take this guy, you don't need to pay upkeep for him and he has a good attack (for his price).
Naga Fighter: Nagas move fast on water and only have melee, they also have average defense on some terrain out of the water.
Orcish Archer: This guy has two types of ranged attacks, fire and pierce, so it is good to kill both undead and living creatures.
Orcish Assassin: The Assassin has a ranged poison attack, so he is very good to force your enemy to fall back.
Orcish Grunt: This is a very cheap melee unit that can win easily by mass, it is very strong but doesn't have any ranged attack.
Troll Whelp: This guy looks weaker than most other melee units, but it can regenerate, healing 8hp per turn and curing itself from poison, you need this unit.
Wolf Rider: And finally your scout, he is really fast, even on hills.

Rebels
Elvish Archer: By far the best archer in the game, this unit is fast and has high defenses on forest.
Elvish Fighter: This cheap guy can be very useful in the forest, he also have a ranged attack which may prove useful .
Elvish Scout: A very fast scout that is good in both ranged and melee, also is the only horseman that isn't slowed by forests.
Elvish Shaman: With her healing ability, the Shaman is one very important unit for the Rebels, she also can slow her enemies, reducing their mp and damage by half.
Mage: The mage has very high chances to hit and does very high damage to undead, making it a very useful unit.
Merman Hunter: The Hunter is a water unit, has a ranged attack and a weak melee attack.
Wose: The tank of the Rebels, this unit is very resistant and regenerates, but is weak to fire and blade.

Undead
Dark Adept: The Adept is the only unit on default that doesn't have a melee attack, but it has two powerful magic attacks, arcane and cold, so it is a very powerful ranged killer.
Ghost: The Ghost has very low hp and damage, but has the drain ability on melee, which heals him by half damage he deals, so he can keep himself alive for a long time (if you be careful). He has very high resistances to most attacks, except arcane and fire.
Ghoul: The Ghoul is some type of tank/anti-tank, because it has a melee poison, and high resistances.
Skeleton: This guy is resistant against pierce, blade and cold, but is weak to arcane, fire and impact, has one very powerful melee and can submerge (becoming invisible on deep water).
Skeleton Archer: This unit is the same thing as normal Skeletons, but is focused on ranged attacks.
Vampire Bat: A level 0 scout with drain, it OK.
Walking Corpse: With plague, the most powerful ability of the game (considering that you can give it to one strong melee unit), this guy will transform anyone that he kills into another Walking Corpse, imagine one army of these guys (okay I am probably exaggerating but this ability is very cool).

Ok this concludes the guide (for now) if you want me to continue with more information about the factions PM me.
Why are you reading this? Are you stupid? There is nothing to see here, stop reading this now! Or I will... Anyway, do you like One Piece?