When to use Planning Mode

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

max_torch
Inactive Developer

When to use Planning Mode

Post by max_torch »

When is it good to use planning mode? I never use planning mode.
tekelili

Re: When to use Planning Mode

Post by tekelili »

It is good use it whenever you find it helpfull. I have never music enabled, and would have no sense ask when is good enable music ;)
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

well then what i want to understand is, for the people who use it, what makes you want to use it? Am I correct that the planning mode is also called a whiteboard?
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

I would use planning mode only if there 1) is time before my turn where I have nothing to do; 2) 10+ unit to move; 3) random crashes from using planning mode won't matter.

Since 1) and 3) can't exist together, it turns out that I don't use planning mode.
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Pros of planning mode (mp):
- Lets you enter your moves before your turn starts, so you have more time under wesnoth's timer system
- Lets you show the moves you are planning to your ally in a team game. This is a lot quicker and more comfortable than using labels I find.

Cons of planning mode
- Lets you enter your moves before your turn starts... but you probably shouldn't make up your mind about your moves until you see what your opponents have done.
- The game can crash it seems if attacks are involved. It is not totally understood, and I actually I forgot many of the details... it seems that crashes can occur if a planned attack is executed, or if you plan a move for a unit during your opponent's turn and that unit is killed... I really don't remember anymore.

In 1.10 I have generally used it safely, for planning movements only, and usually only in the first few turns of a game, or during my ally's turn when my turn is next.

The implementation of planning mode is not very robust at all, the whole thing needs to be redone. It was almost removed entirely for 1.12 -- Coffee fixed the more serious bugs that were reported though and that was enough to keep it in. We had also discussed disabling planning mode attacks... but ultimately that didn't happen. We might try to rewrite the whole thing for 1.14, maybe.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

max_torch wrote:Am I correct that the planning mode is also called a whiteboard?
That's it's name in the source, while planning mode is just the user visible description, yes.

I also use it sometimes to plan long-term movement of some units (2-3 turns), to see whether I should be able to reach some spot in time and how my ZOC effects will be. Especially if my turn has just ended.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

I'm a campaign player, and I use planning mode almost every time for recruiting. I don't need to use it for the start of recruiting, but on the second to last round I often want to arrange to have an even multiple of 20 gold for the last turn, so that I can use it for recalls. (It's usually annoying to have 19 gold on the last turn of recruiting, for example.) Even if I don't want to recall, I still might want to tinker with my final recruits. Sure, I can do it on paper, but it's easier with planning mode.

It's very rare that I use planning mode otherwise, but I might if there is shroud (or other thing to upset "undo") and setting my line correctly is critical.