NR-Infested Caves - Clear the Caves, Min. Gold, Nightmare

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

peanut

NR-Infested Caves - Clear the Caves, Min. Gold, Nightmare

Post by peanut »

Hi, this is my first post on the Wesnoth forums.

Today I discovered that it IS possible to clear the caves in Northern Rebirth's "Infested Caves" scenario with minimum starting gold (350) on Nightmare level.

Infested Caves is, by far, my favorite scenario of all time, and after seeing some posts on this forum on the lines of "you need at least X amount of gold in order to beat the scenario" (where X is a big number), I figured this would be a fun challenge to do (and prove them wrong!). I edited the save file to give me very little starting gold, and it automatically gave me 350 gold, which I will assume to be the minimum. I've beaten the scenario with minimum gold on nightmare with the easier "Move Tallin to the dwarven keep" objective many times already, but never have I succeded in clearing the caves.

Disclaimer: I cheated *a little*: Around turn 30ish I reverted back to turn 24 because I falsely assumed the brown trolls took out the northern skellies, but when the skellies starting coming out of the northern chamber, I realized I was pretty much screwed and had to change my game plan. Also, I saved/reloaded about 15 times on the last turn in order to kill the last troll; however, if I had just gotten there 1 turn earlier, I wouldn't have had to. Besides these 2 cases, I didn't do any save/reloading.

Basic Strategy:
Spoiler:
Here is a link to a video of the replay: https://www.dropbox.com/s/alngmgh6gd7jq ... t.mp4?dl=0

Anyone else here a big fan of Infested Caves? Let me know what you think! :)
Attachments
NR-Infested_Caves_success_replay.gz
Infested Caves, Wesnoth 1.10.7
(162.99 KiB) Downloaded 392 times
Maiklas3000

Re: NR-Infested Caves - Clear the Caves, Min. Gold, Nightmar

Post by Maiklas3000 »

I beat it with min gold on nightmare, no save-reloads, version 1.9.4:
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 15#p477500

Northern Rebirth is my least favorite campaign, suffering from too much "counter pushing". Clear the Caves involves stalemate lines and long treks to villages for healing, so it is tedious, but if I recall the statemate lines are brittle, which makes it more interesting.
peanut

Post by peanut »

Nice replay!
I was referring to the "Infested Caves" scenario though, not the "Clearing the Mines" scenario. You know, the one where you get Camerin. (You can look at the dropbox link I posted)

I like Infested Caves better than the other scenarios in Northern Rebirth. I think it's because it allows for different types of larger-scale strategies and is very challenging due to being attacked from every side.

On the wesnoth wiki page for Infested Caves, it mentions that clearing the caves might not be possible for higher difficulty levels, so I took that as a challenge :P
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Sorry for the brain fart. I called Infested Caves the hardest scenario of any mainline campaign, and I had more than minimum gold, so good job.
sylph

Post by sylph »

The term "expert" has little relation to tactical prowess for this campaign. It should be "memorized" and not on mainline.

There are other campings that I didnt finish because I re-installed my operating system and lost the saves or I didnt upgrade to the new version. By upgrade, I mean I didnt see a, "click here to upgrade to the new OS version which transfers the saves to the new Wesnoth version". (I started studying IT in January 2012. ) I will probably play the main line campaigns I have not beaten on the next stable version of Wesnoth, except for Northern Rebirth.
Spoiler:
...and Under the Burning Suns comes with a warning!

Other things in my life occurred that lead me not to play Wesnoth. But this was a major factor.
If I spoke the truth, they would put me in a straitjacket. So, I left the society.
darla

Re: Rogue Cost

Post by darla »

I like Infested Caves better than the other scenarios in Northern Rebirth. I think it's because it allows for different types of larger-scale strategies and is very challenging due to being attacked from every side.
darla