Rogue Cost

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Yomar

Rogue Cost

Post by Yomar »

Lv.1 units are pretty balanced, but not so much lv.2 units, in this case Im refering to the Rogue, he costs only 24, compared to the 32gp of the fencer, thats really too little for an unit that has backstab and skirmish abilities, or remove the skirmishing ability or increase the cost.

Another, thing 6-3 as base dammage for a lv.0 Caotic unit, is exagerayed, the Goblin is actually the most powetfull Lv.0 unit.
Oh, and sry, I just noticed that I put this in the wrong for sevtion.
Beheld the origins of BFW.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
jakhtur

Re: Rogue Cost

Post by jakhtur »

I dont have opinion about 1st topic - i rather play standard multiplayer games where you cant buy lvl 2 units,so its not an issue for me (but i can understand your point).

But i have to disagree with 2nd statement. Gobo has a high dmg (which somehow helps orcs that have rather low dmg per hex...) but it has no special ability. Its just a fragile cheap unit that has pierce dmg.
Other lvl 0 units have important abilities - bat not only has drain (which is nice of course) but its also very quick so its ideal for vlg grabing. Walking corpse has a plague that can change the game (killing an unit and gaining another walking corpse can change a tide of the game). So for sure gobos are most powerful when you just check the sheer firepower, but you have to remember about abilities of other 0 lvl units.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Yeah, Lv2 units are allegedly not very balanced, but honnestly it's a rather moot point, especially if you main criterion is its cost, since you normally never have to pay it.

Also agreed with jakhtur about the gobo. And don,t compare it to peasant and such: since these are not in the mainline faction and are just scenario-specific units, they don't really count.

On a final note, you shouldn't compare units against each other to determine if they are balanced or not. Some units are knowingly overpowered, others are knowingly underpowered. Factions are balanced against factions, and having a stronger or weaker than average unit spices things up, it gives character to the faction. Try comparing the loyalist bowman with the elvish archer, you'll see how the bowman pales. And yet, both factions are balanced.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

No Dixie I'm not comparing unit to units, Its just that sometime I play Age Of Heroes for fun, and being able to recruit powerful units at a low cost is an advantage that unbalances the game even more.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

For what it's worth, I wouldn't say that rouges are underpriced so much as duelists are overpriced. Rouges have quite a bit of utility for 24 gold but they're also a pretty squishy lvl 2 unit. They can skirmish into backstab positions but that also puts them where it's easy for the enemy to take them down. Duelists don't provide as much utility (though they are a bit less vulnerable) but cost a substancial amount more. I would say that in terms of practical value the vast majority of lvl 2s are overpriced compared to their lvl 1 counterparts (I don't actually think it's a bad thing, I think Wesnoth's dynamics work best at the lvl 1ish point). Rouge happens to be one of the few that is actually worth buying from an efficiency standpoint as well as an effectiveness standpoint.

I will say that even if someone went through all of the recruitment prices for the lvl 2 units with a keen eye it wouldn't even begin to balance Age of Heroes.

As for the goblin spearman, remember that it's weaker than it looks. It gets a negative trait where many other units get two positive ones.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

Yes, Velensk, you are right, its what I meant, The Rogue is very useful, very difficult to block, cause his skirmish ability, I don't know why an already useful unit with backstab and high defense should should get also the skirmish at lv.2, and yes maybe its the skirmisher that's too overpriced, for this its maybe better to decrease his cost.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟