World of Wesnoth - stuck in Glamdrol

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

simira

World of Wesnoth - stuck in Glamdrol

Post by simira »

I must have missed some important part here... What am I doing wrong?
I play a now 7th level cleric-ish elf. Having managed to destroy the catapults, I am to find flowers, but I am constantly crowded by wolves. There's a bug causing them to not attack me as long as I don't use my level up, so I could theoretically take them out, but it would take days. Realtime.

What did I miss?
Heindal

Re: World of Wesnoth - stuck in Glamdrol

Post by Heindal »

Hi, I've developed the scenarios for World of Wesnoth. Maybe the spawning is too much, you really just have to get the flowers and head back. I just can say that this is a campaign which is designed for five Players and should be a challegene for them. In the basic design of this campaigns there used to be just a bunch of wolves, which wasn't really enough/nor entertaining so the spawning has been added later by dugi.

There are more than enough herbs and maybe you can find a way to avoid fights with the wolves.
You have to collect 14 herbs and they can be found on following spots:
Spoiler:
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
simira

Post by simira »

Thanks! No wonder I am struggling alone, then. ;) I had a little run about earlier and had no problem seeing the flowers, but the wolves are too fast for me. There's really no way I can get around them. I tried, even portaling to the middle and then teleporting to the other side of the map. It took them 5 rounds to crowd me.

Shouldn't there be a way to scale the game according to number of heroes?
I guess I'll just have to drop this and find another campaign then. Shame, because I really liked it.

Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks for this picture, we should inform dugi about this.

This is annother reason why I stopped to work out scenarios for Wow, because i've tested my original scenarios a lot (hours over hours). Than changes were done to my original concept (like spawning wolves), which have never been tested. The spawning should just spawn up to a certain maximum (e.g. up to 10 enemies, only 1 per round).
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
simira

Post by simira »

I shudder to think what lies beyond the fog. ;)
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I am the guy guilty of adding the spawning wolves there. I did it because I found simply collecting the flowers boring. I have tested it and it was working as I intended at that time.

In average, three wolves per turn appear. They shouldn't be hard to hack to death by a group of players (on lower levels because the experience is divided between the players), but as a lonely player with no AoE (I presume), you have to rely on retaliation (I had no problem to do this) or you kill at maximum one wolf per turn and two more of them remain from every turn. And you can't retaliate because your experience is too high and the wolves aren't attacking you. You'll have to level up to prevent them from shunning to attack you.

I am aware of the problem that AI doesn't attack units that have more than maximum experience, but a workaround would require using something else than experience for experience and that isn't easy to code and I can't get myself to do it somehow. It isn't so hard to level-up everytime you can, so it isn't serious... I know I should do it, but I can't promise anything. An update deserves more changes than one.

If you think that I am wrong, write about it.
simira

Post by simira »

I am able to level up, but I am then killed in one round. That is the reason I tried to avoid it. I even used a portal scroll to get to the middle, then teleport to the opposite corner from the wolves, and was crowede in a few rounds. I also tried moving by finishing one wolf, step in his place etc., but it would take me ages.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

It appears that your character is too weak. It might be a balance problem, can you upload a save file here or show a screenshot of the character window that shows some relevant stuff? I was testing the balance of scenarios only with one character (necromancer/barbarian hybrid), other classes might be significantly weaker (or stronger), theoretical contemplations can be greatly inaccurate.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Think about getting a maximum for the spawned units. On the other hand I don't think that fighting through endless hoards of wolves is amusing either.
Maybe we could add some mercs here, that have been hired to kill the heroes, bosses each one with two or three spells.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Limiting the number of spawned units sounds good.
They keep appearing endlessly because without them, it would be just about hanging out on a meadow, no challenge, no Wesnoth.
grenthegreat

Post by grenthegreat »

i hate cheating but i had to sorry to many wolves i tryed everything
sommoning walls of skeletons to stop wolves FAIL
having hunter snipe wolves to let fenser get flowers FAIL
having berserker go nuts FAIL (its never failed me until now) :(
so i used debug to kill all wolves but now the courier is dead and he wont tell me the final riddle so im very stuck
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

That issue happens if you don't level-up when you should. Did it happen for you despite not having more exp than the maximum exp is?
grenthegreat

Post by grenthegreat »

no most of the time I kept a close eye on my exp but I have a habit of limiting the number of enemies I fight to keep my heroes alive but that limits the amount of exp I gain so I have 5 level 3-5 heroes vs 20+ wolves and I have to keep the courier alive and hunt flowers so I need better heroes or more heroes
Last edited by grenthegreat on March 3rd, 2015, 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I had no problems in that place, but yeah, maybe I could limit the total number of wolves there.
grenthegreat

Post by grenthegreat »

thanks a lot