Lich Overpoweered ?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Yomar

Lich Overpoweered ?

Post by Yomar »

Anyone finds this guy a bit too powerful ?
When I play against this leader, I have difficult times to deal with him, even at day, he has a lot of resistances, and does heavy retaliation at ranged attacks and also at melee, sure ate melee range he deals less damage, but with every counter attack he heals up.
I find leader kill much more difficult with a Lich, than for example with an Necromancer.
He is strong at day, but at night he becomes unstoppable.

Any good strategies to counter this unit in multiplayer ?
How can you stop for example a night rush, with the Lich leading it, and then retreating after a massacre ?

But I have to admit, that's a cool unit, at least when I use it, he he. >:)

P.S.
Maybe its was better if I had posted this in the strategy section.

[Topic moved from Multiplayer Development to Strategies & Tips at 2014-05-28 08:51:13 UTC. If you’d prefer this topic be moved back, please do feel free to say so. — 8680]
Beheld the origins of BFW.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Heindal

Re: Lich Overpoweered ?

Post by Heindal »

It is a level 3 unit after all - so encountering any level 3 unit with lower level units is dangerous, but still possible if you know how.
One idea is to rush the Lich with a high number of units or to take him out with specialized units that can do arcane damage.

The lifesteal can be nasty, but just can reduce the melee damage he takes.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Battlecruiser_Venca

Post by Battlecruiser_Venca »

Lich does suffer from being a mixed unit, so it has low primary attack dmg (only 12-3 for being a L3) but you'll always get hit back hard. Use Red Mages (or their advancements), Paladins or Mages of Light. Be careful with White Mages, as they're low with their HP. Be sure to take them down in one turn in order to avoid losses. Remember that, they don't have much HP as other L3 units do.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Silver magi are the best counter to other magic units if you can get them. They deliver 11-4 damage, and take a relatively weak 9-3 from a lich at night. (During the day, it's just 5-3!)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Also, encountering a lich in mp? That must be a uber-rare occurance! If you manage to let your opponent level his leader into a lich, you were probably pretty much screwed already anyway...
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

Dixie wrote:Also, encountering a lich in mp? That must be a uber-rare occurance!
No if you play mp survivals. Liches are pretty common there.
I find fun everybody suggesting use mages... when liches becomes really umbalanced is when you are playing drakes!
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
grrr

Post by grrr »

Of course necromancers and (ancient) liches are OP, that's the whole point! Consider this: 1 church, 1 graveyard, 1 battlefield nearby (slaughterhouse sufficient).

*yx***xxx***xy*
--Q1 How many skeleton warriors can 1 necromancer raise per night?
--Q2 How would *you* kill a single skeleton warrior/archer?
*xy***xyx***yx*
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

tekelili wrote: No if you play mp survivals. Liches are pretty common there.
Well my comment would of course exclude anything that is not a mainline game on a mainline map. Wether anything is balanced or not in a user made scenario is up to the scenario's creator rather than the main game's devs. For example: "Hey! Walking corpses are really overpowered in this scenario I made where every other mainline unit has only 5 HPs! The devs should do something about it and nerf walking corpses!" Would be a highly ridiculous thing to say.
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

6p - Survival map has a Liche, and that is 50% of mainline suvivals. (But it is true this map is horrible imbalanced and imho should be removed from mainline)
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Well it HAS been some time I have checked the maps that are in mainline, my bad for saying survivals weren't in it. Let me rephrase my previous comment:

I was rather talking about standard multiplayer, were default unit balancing really is the thing. Costum scenarios like survival can easily customize units to fit their needs...