Multiplayer Replay Analysis

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Crimson_Conure

Re: Multiplayer Replay Analysis

Post by Crimson_Conure » January 31st, 2018, 12:56 am

ElderofZion wrote:I think a single best advice I could give you is to retreat at night against orc and attack at day. Defense there was entirely possible if you put spear in village instead of cavalry, actually it would have been the best, but considering your play I think retreating and attacking at day might have been better for you.
But even at the cost of giving up a village? This is the part that trips me up the most. I know to retreat at night and attack at day, but like what if it gives a village up or two?

Elder2

Post by Elder2 » January 31st, 2018, 1:30 am

Nothing, a village is a 4-6 g difference per turn, not much especially if you can later catch orc by day and get kills. And it usually is betetr than losing units yourself at night for nothing.

Crimson_Conure

Post by Crimson_Conure » February 1st, 2018, 6:52 pm

Hi! Could somebody please check this game out? My opponent started a very vicious attack on the right, but then later decided to leave the game on move 12 (so I ended up droiding the opponent side and winning very easily). I also sided my side on move 13 by mistake XD

I am wondering who has an advantage at the moment that my opponent leaves, and why he/she has the advantage (move 12). I am also looking for advice on attacking and defending, as well as unit recruiting in the beginning. Thank you in advance!
Attachments
2p_—_Weldyn_Channel_replay_against_Dragonxp.gz
(19.21 KiB) Downloaded 121 times

Crimson_Conure

Post by Crimson_Conure » June 26th, 2018, 4:35 am

Hi all! I played a game that I thought was interesting, and I would greatly appreciate it if anybody here could go over the game move by move and basically annotate for me any glaring mistakes. Furthermore I would like a brief map review for this map. I quite like it. Thank you in advance! :)
I like Northerners at the moment and I would like to become a strong competent wesnoth player in general.

Computer_Player

Post by Computer_Player » June 26th, 2018, 10:25 am

Crimson_Conure wrote:
February 1st, 2018, 6:52 pm
Hi! Could somebody please check this game out? My opponent started a very vicious attack on the right, but then later decided to leave the game on move 12 (so I ended up droiding the opponent side and winning very easily). I also sided my side on move 13 by mistake XD

I am wondering who has an advantage at the moment that my opponent leaves, and why he/she has the advantage (move 12). I am also looking for advice on attacking and defending, as well as unit recruiting in the beginning. Thank you in advance!
Ok this is 1.12.6 game btw, just a heads-up for others. I will be concentrating on what you could have improved in terms of general play as well as the context of the game.

First turn, you did not recruit appropriately to capture villages / position in early game. In this map it is generally good to have full castle recruit. for first turn.

Second turn, too early HI recruit. Although it turned out that you were battling UD, but I feel without information about enemy type, recruits and positioning, getting a HI that early is a mistake, especially on this map where its a pain to switch fronts.

Turn 3-5 you should be more aggressive in left side positioning (since it seems you are setting up an attack there), in terms of position and number of units. Right cavalryman should have went left too. In general, as loyalist you want to smash the enemy as hard as possible at day with your iron fist of an army, especially versus undead. You also neglected to scout the right side, hence why you were surprised by the enemy right attack.

Turn 8 is when the right attack became full fledged, but it was being setup as early as turn 6. The way your units were positioned was that you weren't able to capitalize when undead abandoned the left side entirely, not to mention forfeiting the attack on dawn -> day -> afternoon.

Turn 9 is when you began to attack, facing a completely abandoned left front. This is also the beginning of your victory. It's going to dusk and loyalist is getting vils after all. If only undead left units to defend that side, not to mention a leader to recruit.. but instead he opted for a literal full force right attack.

Turn 11 you did well with a full retreat of right side. Anybody left would probably just died for nothing.

As long as you held your ground (not hard since his army is lacking of adepts), and your left army continued in order to deny his castle, you would have won through superior economy while his army slowly dwindled down to nothing with no reinforcements. By second night (turn 12) his army was quite overextended with nothing to show for it except some of your right vils (which were compensated by taking hi left vils anyway). Dawn comes next turn and you've got tons of HI and Horsemen and a mage going after him.

You won this man. :) GG.

Computer_Player

Post by Computer_Player » June 26th, 2018, 11:06 am

Crimson_Conure wrote:
June 26th, 2018, 4:35 am
Hi all! I played a game that I thought was interesting, and I would greatly appreciate it if anybody here could go over the game move by move and basically annotate for me any glaring mistakes. Furthermore I would like a brief map review for this map. I quite like it. Thank you in advance! :)

2p — Howling Ghost Badlands - Crimson_Conure vs. xach810 replay.gz

I like Northerners at the moment and I would like to become a strong competent wesnoth player in general.
This is a very good, balanced and dynamic map, a staple in competitive ladder play. You have good taste in maps :)

1st turn your mistake was recruiting too early. In a new map its best to survey the battlefield first. Check out the keeps, the vils, key military points and the lines of movement / force between them. Early turn, count the number of hexes from your recruit castle to vils (to see what kind of recruits you should get); and if there are multiple keeps, visualize how/if your leader will be switching between them and how it will be affecting how efficiently you will be capturing vils / projecting force.

Be sure to check out the enemy side too (especially in assymetrical maps). Check forward vils / keeps that you can target on your "turn of power " (in this case dusk -> 1st night as orc). Check where they might have trouble sending vils, and what recruitment pattern they might do and then disrupt their plans :)

1st turn then, failing the above, you ended up recruiting full castle with only 1 high mp unit. You also moved your leader away from the front by capturing the back castle. I will commend you though, high grunt recruit is a good orc recruit :)

Turn 4 is when you discover orc mirror. At this point, enemy is ahead economically due to superior starting pattern, but IMO you are ahead in terms of recruits.

Due to mirror it becomes a stalemate-positioning game, and enemy catches up in terms of recruit by turn 9

10-12 good defensive positioning, the double poison was hilarious, but a bit wasteful IMO XD You were able to lure the enemy from attacking in bad position and even get a vil.

13 I would have concentrated on killing the archer, since assassin does not do much in this match up (you could easily just recruit more units)

14 - 17 Speaking of which, not a fan of the leader move. It turned up well in the left side but your right side was collapsing. By the time you were able to recruit on turn 17, you had 75 g banked which is too much on a pitched mirror battle. You had good chance of leaderkill, but IMO not worth it.

Turn 19 your vils are captured while your recruits don't have the mp nor are positioned to counter-pillage. So that's a few turns where enemy has move vils AND your units that were left behind get destroyed without reinforcements for a while.

Turn 21 is a repeat of turn 1. You had a bit of chance here since enemy got sucky recruits, and with luck could have turned things over (killing level 2s is a good way to gain XP for example), but you also desperately needed a scout to penetrate and counter pillage. As you can see, you were out economied by the enemy more than outfought (after right front collapsed without reinforcements).

Orcs are one of the stronger and fun factions, and their gameplay dictates how other factions play. :) GG