[AI] Knalgan AI fights terribly in some circumstances

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

WesnothNewbie

[AI] Knalgan AI fights terribly in some circumstances

Post by WesnothNewbie »

Don’t get me wrong: I think the current Wesnoth AI is pretty good, as these things go. It can generally be assumed that it will put up a decent fight, and can even challenge experienced players with enough gold and resources. However, there are certain instances in which the AI performance is terrible.

The biggest area—and I wouldn’t be surprised if many people confirmed this—is with the Knalgan faction, and, more specifically, on large maps. For some reason, the AI goes nuts with Gryphons. I’ve heard that AI coding is difficult, but this must be doable. Essentially, what the AI seems to be doing is buying the most expensive units it can based on map-size (and maybe to a lesser degree terrain). Moreover, it seems to have some truly atrocious tactics with this faction—terrain in particular. I don’t want to sound critical; but I would think that the AI can do a bit better than simply recruiting the most expensive units, based on mobility and some crude resistance and terrain calculations.

I’ve included a replay of the match so you can see for yourselves. Notice how the Knalgan AI recklessly trades all its Gryphons for some enemy Saurians? Notice how it doesn’t recruit in waves but instead basically feeds the Drakes experience? Notice the lack of serious terrain consideration—e.g. not mounting a defence on the more than adequate hills and mountains available?

Thanks for sticking with this long post. Also I’m glad to be back on the Wesnoth forums after a long period of inactivity.

—Wesnoth Newbie.

Note: I am playing on a map I created just for fun. I understand these are not normal circumstances, but I have seen this behaviour in mainline maps as well.
Attachments
User_Map_replay.gz
(31.93 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
In Linux Land, if you listen hard at night, you can hear the whirr of Windows machines rebooting.
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: [AI] Knalgan AI fights terribly in some circumstances

Post by beetlenaut »

This is a well-known problem, and a lot of work has been done on the AI's recruitment strategy in 1.11. It should be a lot better in 1.12.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
sadlyknight

Post by sadlyknight »

Yes they do. I have some instincts when the AI killed themselves. This does happen Knalgan often.
WesnothNewbie

Post by WesnothNewbie »

beetlenaut wrote:This is a well-known problem, and a lot of work has been done on the AI's recruitment strategy in 1.11. It should be a lot better in 1.12.
Ah! Glad to hear it. In that case, I shall have to wait and see the next version.

If you have any suggestions for my gameplay on that scenario, I'd be happy to hear that, as well.

Thanks for the replies.
In Linux Land, if you listen hard at night, you can hear the whirr of Windows machines rebooting.