Fighting Orcs: Tips?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ank

Re: Fighting Orcs: Tips?

Post by Ank »

Its really quite simple : u must fight fire with fire : 'see the ork understand the ork become the ork'
On a serious note by playing them u will realize things like :
1)grass lands and watery areas are not yr friend orks have great mobility and can use it to apply attaks from several hexez at once vs units with low defensive ratings... use terrain as primary deffence against orks as they have no magic to flush u out of there
2)never trade units with them; yors are much more expansive then theyrs are and u will quickly lose out on the economy front
3)for each one that u see theres at lest 1 or 2 that u don't; always have a high mobility scout with u to see what , how many , when and where the orks will engage u ... trust me this advice is priceless
4)watch the map , watch the f'in map !! u are always gonna be out numbered and perhaps out gunned but remember no one can concentrate all of his army in one point at one given time ... as such find yrself fortress like spots on the map(forest clusters ,hilll/mountain ranges) and leap from one fortification to another conducting heavy combat mainly only when u are on fortified ground and the enemy comes at u from grass or water areas
5)watch out for the time of day and its 2 friends 'day time' and 'not yet night time' so what the heck am i trying to say ?? turtle formation on fortified positions during unfavorable TOD and spread line atack all u reasonably(as in no suicide moves unless its rly rly necessary) can during favorable TOD and make a push for the next fortify-able spot on the map...
6)Under no circumstance should u retreat(exception to this are scouts that need to survive so u don't get dominated economically/get blinded on map) if u are forced into retreat it means u screwed up badly some where /were baited into engaging in unfavorable conditions and should consider doing the scenario from turn 1 again to optimize yr strategy based on what u seen so far (what hes army is made off, how fast it can travel and where can u entrench yrself to survive the initial contact)
7)The trickle factor : there is but one thing to fear : 'the initial contact' as it entitles 2 to n keeps of enemy troops slamming into yr army in rapid succession ... be sure to make contact from a fortified position and if possible exactly when the sun starts to rise... if u planed and executed well the contact phase all that remains is a bunch of random enemy units trickling towards yr army at a rate of 2 to maybe 5 a turn , an amount small enough to be obliterated in a turn provided u don't do stupid things like parking near villages or fortified terrain...
8) The 'they suuuck factor' ...yeah u are reading me right : ever wonder why orks are the favored enemy in most campaigns ?? its because they s..k so bad it isn't even funny unless a human uses them the ai will do a half ass-ed job deploying orks: recruiting poor troop combos using poor terrain to engage(if properly baited) and most of the time the concept of TOD is flat-out ignored... so there will at least be a ton of them to overcompensate :twisted:
9)Use the force young one... umm riiiiight ... knowledge, it al boils down to it: combine proper scouting, smart recruiting combos,map analisys, good initial contact tactics,sane mop up tactics and all that remains is a good laugh when u see that u finished the scenario in half the allocated turns or u still got close to a dozen turns make yr ldr take a 2-3 turn stroll to 'extraction point'
Most of what i written can be applied with proper modification against any faction... but orks are even more susceptible to it due to theyr lack of magics, heavily armored troops and theyr known affinity towards melee oriented squad builds that tend to badly lack proper support...
roidanton

Post by roidanton »

Did I somehow miss this year's speak like a pirate's day? And lol @ 6. Ever played something like WC or a ranged unit in a SX RPG game?
Ank

Post by Ank »

He was talking about the default campaigns so :eng: 6) is justified : as rarely, if ever will u find yourself in such a position (especially on the harder levels) that u can afford to get routed and as a result have up to 3/4 of the army cut down and reasonably expect to finish the scenario fast enough(or at all) to enter the following scenario with any decent gold bonus... therefor by all means its preferable u do an organized push forward when terrain and TOD favor u and when they don't to turtle down on good terrain in order to minimize both damage taken and the wasted turns recovering from 'tactical retreats'...
About survival sx-es i haven't a clue about whats best in those... nor was i giving any advice about them.. :whistle:
About WC all i can say is that , by no means can it compare to default campaigns as both gold bonus and recruitment patterns are altered in a way that it doesn't fit hes question about 'what to do against orks in campaigns' ...
As far as my pidgin-english goes it's only purpose is to allow me to pass information to someone in particular and by all means it wasn't aimed at being used to teach oxford-english to anyone or was it :hmm:
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Tips to win with Orcs:
send only units with atleast 2/3 exp bar to heal,
keep leader near/at Castle for you have to spam units throughout the round,
keep spamming units especially grunts,
get atleast 1 wolfrider send to uncap enemy income,
if forced to defensive youll have incredible advantage due to being a horde,
if forced to defensive dont hesitate in using goblin spearmen. If they manage to lvl up you can take them along when counterattacking.
if map has plenty of water villages get atleast a pair of naga.
know which units is weak against what dmg type, when scattering the horde into 2 packs avoid creating mono armies, try achieving ranged:melee ratio at an 3:4,
never feed units except canonfodder,
poison is an utility, dont overexaggerate its importance, dont underestimate either,
always begin offensive at dusk, if they are fully encircled by first watch mostly gg,
when they throw away single unit its always bait for drawing you into mass archers/cavalry spam at next turn. never eat that.

Find the counters to these then you get how to win against them.

As for the default campaigns, simply spam a combination of anything ranged and hard hitter melee backed by healers.