The Undead and the bats taking all the gold in MP

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

AcousticBruce

The Undead and the bats taking all the gold in MP

Post by AcousticBruce »

First of all, I want to say this game is excellent. I even bought it for my android phone.

Anyway me and my buddy keep playing mp and he likes to be the Undead. The problem is toward the end game I end up loosing all my income villages. This is because immediately he starts with like 2 to 4 bats and just scouts the map. At first it starts out even but then the bats show up and consume it all. I play the loyalist and get smoked because his income is high and he creates so many skeleton units.

SO I said dude lets trade teams and play the same map. So we did it and I smoked him. And I believe it is because of the bats and their maneuverability.

Is this something that I can control? If I kill the hard to hit bats then he just makes more. They are cheep!
What do you guys think?
lipk

Re: The Undead and the bats taking all the gold in MP

Post by lipk »

In fact, bats are not that cheap for 13 golds. A bat that takes one of your villages would mean 4 golds advantage per turn for your enemy (-1 income and -1 support for you, +1 income and +1 support for opponent). That means, if you can kill the bat in 2-3 turns, then undead will lose money on the operation. Just keep taking down the bats (mages and heavy infantry excel at this; maybe you could also recruit a horseman or a cavalryman), undead will run out of gold sooner or later.
watbesh

Post by watbesh »

Bats have low HP(15-20 depending on the trait) and 10% lower defense rate on villages. So it may be good to attack a bat on a village, if you can kill it in a turn. You can do so in dawn/dusk with one horseman or two.
Defending your villages is good too. Just putting spearmen can work against bats.
My MP Eras and Mods with core units and unusual gameplay (version 1.3.1 for Wesnoth 1.12)
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Bats do have weaker defense in villages on land. They only have a 40% defense modifier instead of the standard 60%.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Colouredbox

Post by Colouredbox »

What kind of map were you playing?

The scenario you described seems like a really big map. (Random generated? Cynsaun Battlefield?)
Waiting for cheesedwarfs to be added to ageless.
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

AcousticBruce wrote:What do you guys think?
Why don't you post a replay of one of your games so that it can be accurately analyzed and pertinent details don't have to be drug out of you. Tens of thousands of games have been played against the Undead and their Bats and they've been beaten. Let us show you how.
Creativity

Post by Creativity »

How am I supposed to counter bats as northerners on big maps? Attacking them with riders on villages means they get damaged a tiny bit and fly away to another village to heal in one turn, and any other units are too slow to catch them.
alluton

Post by alluton »

You can use goblins to sit on villages. Single bat has very low change to kill goblin on village. And they cost only 7 gold.
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash
Lord_Kata

Post by Lord_Kata »

Yeah, what I do in the start of every game is recruit scouts. (Horses if I'm the elves or humans, Gryphons if Dwarves, etc.) then I go around the map taking houses. I usually try to keep them alive to keep stealing houses, which is what he is doing, most likely. What I suggest is doing the same. In the start, recruit scouts and take as many houses as possible.
Lord Kata

Coder, Roller coaster enthusiast, king of the world...
I'm looking to hire artists for my campaign. If interested, please PM me.