[UtBS] Zocthanol Isle - help!

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Del

[UtBS] Zocthanol Isle - help!

Post by Del »

I'm on Normal difficulty on Zocthanol Isle for the Burning Suns campaign, starting out with 200 gold. I've got a rather good selection of units to work with - two of every level 3/4 unit except for one Marshall, but that's not the problem... the problem is 200 gold seems to be pretty clearly not enough to win the scenario with. Every time I try this one, I just get overwhelmed by the sheer number of things that come out. Even if I make a strong stand for the first waves, they just keep coming...

Do I need to go back and do the last one again with a more conservative use of gold, or what?
taptap

Re: [UtBS] Zocthanol Isle - help!

Post by taptap »

Some people seem to manage with minimal gold on hard, but as far as I remember I replayed the previous scenario to rescue all merfolk -> assassinate the inconveniently placed enemy leader -> requiring minimal forces (not spending all, recalling more L2 or experienced L1 than L3) -> finish early.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

You might also need to make sure that enemies will not capture any villages on the locations you've already passed through. Just one enemy passing through your lines, and you see an extra level 3 unit each turn.
CMaster

Post by CMaster »

As I remember it, the danger of the previous scenario is, that the elves fighting against you will rejoin you as soon as their leader is dead. With the effect, that you will have to pay for their upkeep, even though you absolutely do not need them to win the scenario (the amount of units you can get to the final enemies is very limited, so you want only a few tough units for that). And the fact that you have quite a number of turns of fighting left when that happens, guarantees that it will cost a ton.

So, whenever I play that scenario, I make sure that I do not kill the elven leader, before I have killed his followers. Or at least those, that I do not want to add to my recall list. I might even try to loose some expendable units in the process... (I know, such conduct of a general is simply outrageous, but after all, this is a game, not real life. Aren't you glad of it?)
I'm a reciever!