A real confrontation from Invasion from the Unknown

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

taptap

A real confrontation from Invasion from the Unknown

Post by taptap »

What does it take to beat this scenario on hard?

I start with 154 gold w/ a druid, hero, captain, ranger and experienced shaman in the recall list of which I like to recall the druid and the captain. I beat this on normal difficulty with as low as 130 gold, but never managed to do so on hard. Advice anyone?
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
taptap

Re: A real confrontation from Invasion from the Unknown

Post by taptap »

Reading old comments, it seems people started everywhere in between 230 until up to 370 gold (this scenario would be comparatively easy with 250 gold). It seems the gold earning possibilities in the first scenario were much larger in the past or I am just a lousy player in the first scenario.

From the 1.10.0 IftU changelog:

- 1 (Border Patrol):
- Map balancing.
- 2 (A Real Confrontation):
- A few dialogue improvements at the start - they also involve changes
on the free recall mechanics.
- Add an explanation for the Elvish civilians.
- Other balancing changes.
Theron

Post by Theron »

Replay scenario 1 to get more gold (240 will do).

My advice for scenario 1 is:
Get their villages as fast as possible.
Do not have too much units.
Core units are Archers and Hunters.

My preferred recipe:
Recruit 3 Archers and 3 Hunters in turn 1.
(Fighters are too slow.)
(Shamans are too slow and their damage output is too low.)
Move Galas to the tiny keep in the middle of the map.
Recruit 1 more Archer and 1 more Hunter in turn 3.
Recruit 2 Fighters and 2 Shamans in turn 3 + 4.
Decide were to amass your army (green front or blue front).
Do not retreat.
Ignore TOD.
Use terrain advantage.

Examples (Wesnoth 1.10.4, HARD)
Replay 1: No Fighters. 1 Scout. Blue front. Started scenario 2 with 246 gold and nice recall list.
Replay 2: Green front. Started scenario 2 with 319 gold.
Attachments
IftU-1-Border_Patrol_replay-2.gz
(25.12 KiB) Downloaded 518 times
IftU-1-Border_Patrol_replay-1.gz
(29.68 KiB) Downloaded 540 times
taptap

Post by taptap »

Just wow! Never occured to me to play that aggressively. Thanks a lot, learned something here. I guess it is a bad single-player habit to play too defensively when sometimes doing much damage quickly is the best way to reduce the damage I take myself. That the first night is the short dark surely helps.

And tried it out... 1st attempt utter fail. 2nd attempt w/ better positioning and some (random) positive luck 19 turns later I finish with 298 gold carryover! And far less losses than in my more defensive attempts. Maybe I will become a decent player one day :whistle:
Wayirr

Post by Wayirr »

I have same problem, and it still seems hard even with 290 gold. I managed to finish first scenario without loss at all.
Can you post a replay for 2nd scenario?
Attachments
IftU-1-Border_Patrol_replay_no-loss-diff-hard.gz
(25.72 KiB) Downloaded 359 times
Bircoph

Post by Bircoph »

Wayirr wrote:I have same problem, and it still seems hard even with 290 gold. I managed to finish first scenario without loss at all.
Can you post a replay for 2nd scenario?
Here is a replay on master level with 318 starting gold. (With some replays for better luck :))

The key idea is to hold off the first wave using villages to the south and intense healing; you'll need as much druids as possible, the perfect pattern is druid in a village surrounded by troops in circle. After first wave is eliminated it is trivia to destroy all enemy leaders. But keep in mind that your AI ally is stupid and you may be attacked from the rear if it fails (also if its leader is killed, you lost the game).

It is possible to win this battle without reloads, but this requires use of civilians as cannon meat. I don't like that kind of game style due to ethical reasons, so I haven't recruited civilians at all.
Attachments
IftU-1-A_Real_Confrontation_replay.bz2
Wesnoth v1.13.0-dev (89192ce), IftU v.1.90.7.1
(32.47 KiB) Downloaded 394 times
Per aspera ad astra!
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Post by StandYourGround »

I don't see anything wrong about using citizens. Don't swarm them, but instead intersperse them among your L1 and higher units, and keep them on high defense terrain. Don't allow more than two hexes to attack them from, and they'll often survive. Because they have less HP, they heal faster, and because they require less XP, they level faster. And because they cost no upkeep, you can field a larger army. Played well, at least half of them may level up in this scenario, and you save gold, and help spread the enemy's damage across a wider area. Also, they get awesome when you add leadership perks.
I will now resume lurking silently.