EI(Eastern Invasion)-strategy guide to the campaign??

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

maredi316

EI(Eastern Invasion)-strategy guide to the campaign??

Post by maredi316 »

I have been trying to go hardcore on Eastern Invasion(EI), which means that if the game is over, the game is really over and you have to start from scenario 1 turn 1. Of course you are not allowed to redo your turns for a dead white mage or shock trooper or that spearman that has the holy thing. Cursing is promoted due to the stress this creates.

I have spent much of the summer doing this campaign when I had nothing on hand, so I thought I would like to make a updated version of the strategy guide to EI

Anyhow, this is hard but it is not impossible on Challenging(Royal Guard) if it weren't for the first effing scenario, the outpost.
The scenario made me die like 20 times, until I got how to play it.

I got angered so I went to look at the mainline campaign helper thing, and I think it was outdated for 1.10(think it was for 1.8), so I would like to offer a updated version we can have for 1.10 (because I feel that I have found out how to beat the scenario). Then you people can check it out and see if it is legetimate. If it is, I would be honored to have it on the mainline campaign helper thing.

the map:

As any person can see, there are 3 teams of undead ready to beat the crap out of you. Their keeps are surrounded by water and hills with the exception of the green one.They have a lot of income, and can usually send a unit in a turn or two.

For starters:

It is not recommended, or let me be frank, it is sheer stupidity to try and kill the enemy leaders on challenging. An even more dumb thing to do is to try to kill the green leader in the middle(yeah I tried it myself). It is stupid to kill the enemy leaders because your main army are Heavy Infantry(HI), which will be explained why later. HI suck on hills cause they take forever to cross. Everything sucks at crossing water but the navy units, so yeah.

Recruitment:

Here is where I disagree with the guy who wrote the campaign helper thing because it does not work for 1.10. It says there that most should be HI and mages, but can have some cavalry or spearmen as a diversion. I suggest that you only get HI and mages, cause you only have 120 gold to spare, where does the money for diversions come from? Basically it is a waste and you lack numbers to win the battle. The recruitment best suggested by me is 5 HI and 1 mage for the first turn. Then keep on recruiting HI till turn 4(you should be getting 2 more). After the sergeant comes back to the starting keep around turn 8, get more HI, and maybe a spearman if money is seriously lacking(explained later at turns 8-12).

What units do what:

HI-core unit. Kills most of the crap from bones to bats. At least will inevitably level up into Shock Troopers(ST). Also functions as riot shields to protect the sergeant and mage. Quick and Resilient are wanted.

ST-the better version of the core unit. Kills crap even more efficiently. Also serves as a sturdier riot shield. Not really important strategically as by the time one gets ST, the game is virtually won.

Sergeant-a piece of crap, as everybody knows. Its leadership will not help anyone because it only functions for level 0s. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO LEVEL IT. It leads to dead sergeants. Instead let it be in as few engagements as possible even against bats. If this dies, game is over so never use the sword even when it has to fight. It would get about 4-12exp in the end from shot bats with the crossbow(explained in turns 8-12).

Cavalry-not used in any way or form.

Spearman-Used in turns 8-12 if lacking the money for HI. Only 1 would be hired even then. PS, don't try to recall this at the next scenario unless it has at least 16 exp, which is unlikely.

Mage-the tricky unit to be used in this scenario. Due to the fact that most of the army consists of HI, the only enemy the bats attack are mages or the serge (unless there is a severely weakened HI). If the serge dies, the game is over and that happens quite easily, even when it is in the village. The only thing with a weaker melee than serge in the recruit list are mages, so they serve as a appealing target against bats. Thus, it must be protected against bats early(turns 1-4) and just against bones in general. They will burn down bats if bored and if it is safe to do so. Resilient is wanted on this unit. Is expected to die around turns 5-7.

White Mage(White)-kills any idiot on the trapdoor or just anything for 4-8exp on turn 12.

Maneuvering turns 1-4:

Recruit the above, and keep on recruiting HI till turn 4. Send all units Southeast to the purple army. This is done so the bats cannot capture as much villages and will be forced to fight HI one way or another. Saving villages is as important as saving the serge, explained in turns 8-12. Bats are only produced in the Green and Purple team, so this stops the bats from there to capture many of your villages. Also Blue sends many units to capture villages across water and mountains, so there is no reason to go where they are.

Maneuvering turns 5-7:

The core battle happens in the night, believe it or not. It sucks, but it is the way it works. The most dangerous units are the two bone shooters(BS-yeah I know that sounds weird) and the revenant, albeit the BS are more dangerous. These need to be taken out quickly because they deal much damage even against HI. The BS can hit HI without retaliation so hit them quickly, but not with more than 3 units because some HI need to fight against the Green army.

The next up in the dangerous list are the skeleton archers(Archers). They, like the BS can attack without retaliation and will kill one HI with a team of 3. Next are skeletons, which are annoying and kill HI, but they take heavy losses from the retaliation. Only attack them on your turn if they will die within one hit. they are better attacking other crap. Last on the list are vampire bats(Bats), which are only attacked when there is a need to hold up Zone of Control(ZoC), or if a units becomes bored due to it being unable to reach a unit or because you don't want it wandering around just to get killed. The bats die themselves by trying to attack HI.

While doing this, move the Sergeant out of the starting keep to make sure you are safe from Blue skeletons.

When the HI that fight the Purple bones are finished(usually one or two HI die in the process), they must go north as fast as possible. So the

Maneuvering turns 8-12:

Much of you must be thinking, "what the hell happens in turns 8-12? Everything is noted, explain in turns 8-12."

This is where it gets tricky. The Sergeant comes back to the Keep-usually the skeletons come to fight your HI on a somewhat equal fight(you deal about twice the damage, but you don't evade much and they have about 3 times the amount of soldiers to launch). The Mage is probably dead by now unless you are both very lucky and skillful. With the extra money on your hand, recruit as much HI as possible, and continue on every time you get 19 or more gold. All the HI run to the starting keep, and literally take all the castle hexes and surround the sergeant. If the waves of enemies are not so harsh, some can be near the keep for ZoC purposes. The game will become a zombie apocalypse, where hordes of skeletons will try to hit your HI on bad ground. Try not to let any bat or skeleton attack the sergeant. Also, NEVER move the HI out of the castle hexes, even for kills. This leads to openings where skeletons can hack the Sergeant and badly placed HI dead.

On turn 12, the White Dacyn will come and the trapdoor will be open. Get all of your HI and make them go kill anything they want that gives them exp like an idiot. Then Gweddry in the trapdoor on that turn because 1:Skeletons are everywhere and staying in that castle becomes more difficult as time passes. 2:You need gold, so finish fast. 3: The more you linger in the battlefield, the higher chance sergeant dies and you raging. If there is a unit on the trapdoor,kill him with Dacyn and/or HI.

This generally ends up with 1-2 ST, about 3-5 HI, some with exp and others with barely any, the Sergeant with little/no exp, Dacyn with 0-8exp.

This strategy is not perfect, but it worked many times for me, and is worth a try. Remember, luck may screw the plan over. Its Wesnoth.
Kanzil

Re: EI(Eastern Invasion)-strategy guide to the campaign??

Post by Kanzil »

It is a wiki, so you can put up whatever you want (though I suggest you cut down on the cursing)-especially when it says:
This walkthrough has been updated by Maiklas3000 to reflect changes up to version 1.8.3 on hard and previously by Crus4a7E for up to version 1.4.5 on medium. Feel free to add your own updates.
:D
High over valleys in the red levelling rays -
In din of crowded streets, going among the years, the faces,
May I still meet my memory in so lonely a place
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.