Replaying campaign scenarios for levelling-up units?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

revolting_peasant

Replaying campaign scenarios for levelling-up units?

Post by revolting_peasant »

I seem to recall some thread here on the forum mentioning the possibility of replaying scenarios within a campaign (i.e. actually playing them, not watching the replay of what you've done) - gradually amassing more experience so that eventually you get to recall high-level units. However, I haven't found a way to do this in the game interface. Is this really an option or just an urban (well, maybe rural) legend?
HomerJ

Re: Replaying campaign scenarios for levelling-up units?

Post by HomerJ »

revolting_peasant wrote:I seem to recall some thread here on the forum mentioning the possibility of replaying scenarios within a campaign (i.e. actually playing them, not watching the replay of what you've done) - gradually amassing more experience so that eventually you get to recall high-level units. However, I haven't found a way to do this in the game interface. Is this really an option or just an urban (well, maybe rural) legend?
I guess you misunderstood. You can always load the start of scenario save of a given scenario, but your recall list and gold will be reset.

It is often mentioned not to play it again but to go back to playing it. I see where this comes from though, since in many games you can redo finished missions for levelling purposes.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

While technically the Wesnoth engine allows campaign creators to use a scenario multiple times in a campaign, this is seldom used (and most often only for talking-only scenarios [like "The Ka'lian" in "The Rise of Wesnoth"], not for fighting ones - though the last scenario of Descent into Darkness is an exception). The reason is just what came up here: You would be able do level up all your units to maximum, and also collect masses of gold, making it quite difficult to balance the rest of the campaign.

As HomerJ said, the idea is to play some scenarios again, using only your now better knowledge and capabilities, trying to optimize the leveling-up compared to your earlier play.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

pauxlo wrote: As HomerJ said, the idea is to play some scenarios again, using only your now better knowledge and capabilities, trying to optimize the leveling-up compared to your earlier play.
Well I didn't say that, but I should have... :wink:

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!