How to re-roll the second trait for loyal units? (Campaigns)

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ktchong

How to re-roll the second trait for loyal units? (Campaigns)

Post by ktchong »

I am replaying Heir to the Throne at the same difficulty level (medium). I have just found out that, in the campaign, some of the same "loyal" units receive their second traits differently. In my previous game, Loflar had Loyal and Intelligent; this time he has Loyal and Quick. Two of my loyal thieves/rogues from Elensefar had Loyal and Resilient; now they have Loyal and Intelligent.

So I reloaded to various earlier saved points, hoping that I could "re-roll" so those units would receive better second traits. (I especially hate the Intelligent trait for loyal unit, or just for any unit in general.) However, that did not seem to work. They obviously have different second traits now, but those traits seem to stay the same this time around.

How exactly do the mechanics work for those units, in terms of getting their second traits? Is there a way to force the second trait to change when I reload?
Last edited by ktchong on November 23rd, 2011, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Max

Re: How to re-roll the second trait for loyal units?

Post by Max »

just a guess: the state of the random number generator might be restored if you reload a game. if there are no actions that query random numbers before the unit is created (e.g. early on in the scenario) you might get the same traits. but since the creation of Loflar is triggered in a moveto event it should be enough to recruit a unit to get different traits.

if you really want to force certain traits just modify the save game...
ktchong

Re: How to re-roll the second trait for loyal units?

Post by ktchong »

Max wrote:just a guess: the state of the random number generator might be restored if you reload a game. if there are no actions that query random numbers before the unit is created (e.g. early on in the scenario) you might get the same traits. but since the creation of Loflar is triggered in a moveto event it should be enough to recruit a unit to get different traits.

if you really want to force certain traits just modify the save game...
Hm. How can I modify the save game?

Keep getting "intelligent" as the second trait for loyal units. It's pissing me off. I really despise the Intelligent trait... most useless trait in a campaign.

EDIT: Nevermind, I've figured out how to edit the save files: just do not save them as compressed files. Then I can just use Wordpad to edit them as regular text files.
MRDNRA

Re: How to re-roll the second trait for loyal units? (Campai

Post by MRDNRA »

I personally find the intelligent trait can be quite useful for mages, and also if you wanted to get, say, an Elvish Captain quickly. Also, sometimes it can actually save a badly injured unit that would otherwise not have enough XP to have a chance of levelling for healing! That's just down to personal preference though.

As for re-rolling the traits, I'm going to agree with Max, where some units are triggered by move to events, just recruiting a unit should theoretically work. I'm not sure if recalling a unit would work though (due to them already have pre-determined traits!)