Best two units

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Mint

Re: Best two units

Post by Mint »

Shaman. You need nothing else.

averyimaginativename

Post by averyimaginativename »

I normally hate playing the faction, but Drake burner/glider.

Being the one to decide when and where the fighting happens strikes me as the most important consideration in 2 unit match ups.
UMC Story Images web gallery

On an indefinite Wesbreak for health reasons - please only try to get my attention for UMC story images website issues.

Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

Mint wrote:Shaman. You need nothing else.
Really? :lol2: My Fighter hits your Shaman for insane melee while you slow me with a 4-2 attack. Since it isn't magical, I can take advantage of defensive hexes. And since the lowest I will be docked on points is 3 (more than likely I will have 4-3 melee with my axe) I can still kill all of your shamans given their poor health and low healing capabilities. Pluds, I also have Adepts with arcane range, which, even when slowed, still has an advantage over you. Plus it's killer at night.
i would seriously rethink the shaman thing :oops:

ShadowWarrior

Post by ShadowWarrior »

I would try a combo of Orcish Assassin and Shaman.
Poison and Slow combo...hard to beat. (Additionally poison has Marksmanship)

Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

I'm with Velensk and monochromatic. Dark adept and grunt, or footpad and ulf. DA and grunt is tremendously effective in pick your recruits games, and I've played footpad and ulf with surprisingly good success against full default factions.

Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

I'm thinking:

1. Spearman - good rank-and-file in most situations
2. Orcish Assassin - poison

Or alternatively:

1. Saurian Skirmisher - speed and skirmisher
2. Orcish Assassin - poison

There's no way to escape poison + skirmisher!

Well, unless you're undead. If my enemy were undead, I might do this instead:

1. Mage
2. Hakim

Actually, though, this fourth combination could probably beat anything:

1. Spearman - good rank-and file in most situations; melee and ranged attacks; pierce and/or blade damage (including level-ups)
2. Mage - melee and magical ranged attacks; impact and either fire or arcane damage (including level-ups)

Not to mention, the Mage would be effective against any enemy the Spearman wasn't effective against and vice versa.

Of course, these would also be effective:

1. Saurian Skirmisher - speed and skirmisher
2. Mage - magic

1. Orcish Assassin - poison
2. Mage - magic

But for most situations, I still think I would prefer Spearman + Mage.

But none of the above could handle deep water. If the map had a lot of water, then, I would have to rethink things, and use one of these combinations:

1. Spearman
2. Ghost - drain, effective anywhere

1. Saurian Skirmisher
2. Ghost

1. Orcish Assassin
2. Ghost

Or dare I say:

1. Naffat
2. Ghost

This could probably also beat anything. How many units are strong against both cold and fire?

Or by the same logic:

1. Ghost
2. Mage

EDIT: Updated ad nauseum for new ideas and greater clarity.

EDIT: Eliminated "Fire Guardian."
Last edited by Temuchin Khan on October 22nd, 2011, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Superking

Post by Superking »

I feel like grunt or troll whelp- especially troll whelp- would be better than spearman in most of the above
lover de wesnoth

Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Superking wrote:I feel like grunt or troll whelp- especially troll whelp- would be better than spearman in most of the above
Really? Even without ranged attacks?

Anyway, I'm not sure I'd want a faction that had no level 1 unit with ranged attacks.

EDIT 2: Eliminated Fire Dragon and Yeti.
Last edited by Temuchin Khan on October 22nd, 2011, 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

Superking wrote:Simple challenge:

Design the best possible faction which has any 2 units picked from the default wesnoth multiplayer factions, that would be optimal for playing on the default 1v1 maps.
Temuchin Khan wrote:Anyway, I'm not sure I'd want a faction that had no level 1 unit with ranged attacks.

EDIT: Let's be honest, though. This would really be the best:

1. Fire Dragon
2. Yeti

Any questions?
Yes, just one. Did you thoroughly read the first post? If so, since when are Yetis and Fire Dragons a part of Default Wesnoth MP?

Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Great_Mage_Atari wrote:
Superking wrote:Simple challenge:

Design the best possible faction which has any 2 units picked from the default wesnoth multiplayer factions, that would be optimal for playing on the default 1v1 maps.
Temuchin Khan wrote:Anyway, I'm not sure I'd want a faction that had no level 1 unit with ranged attacks.

EDIT: Let's be honest, though. This would really be the best:

1. Fire Dragon
2. Yeti

Any questions?
Yes, just one. Did you thoroughly read the first post? If so, since when are Yetis and Fire Dragons a part of Default Wesnoth MP?
Too true. I screwed up on that one. Better scrap the Fire Guardian too!

powershot

Post by powershot »

Wait a minute, since mainlines been listed, why don't we choose two favorites from UMC?
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.

Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Superking wrote:I feel like grunt or troll whelp- especially troll whelp- would be better than spearman in most of the above
The two you mention are cheaper/tougher, but the spearman has pierce. The advantage being: barely any unit is resistant to both pierce and fire. But resistant to fire and impact is more of a viability. Also, I feel the spearman is a more reliable damage-dealer (especially compared to whelp), and a decent attacker. Also take into account the allignment sinergy of mage + spearman, vs mage + whelp or grunt.
powershot wrote:Wait a minute, since mainlines been listed, why don't we choose two favorites from UMC?
Well, imho it's a bit pointless, seeing how UMC is not necessarily balanced. I could just go ahead and publish a unit with a 100% cth one-hit-kill attack. insane resistances and good mobility. It wouldn't even be fun...
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth

Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Grunt + dark adept strikes me as strictly better than spearman + mage. Both your units are cheaper and have more HP in exchange for slightly lower damage and only ranged or melee attacks. Additionally, the dark adept can't get the strong trait, and so is likely to have more useful traits than the mage. Imagine the classic grunt rush with a couple of dark adepts instead of assassin/wolf/archer/whathaveyou.

powershot

Post by powershot »

Dixie wrote:
powershot wrote:Wait a minute, since mainlines been listed, why don't we choose two favorites from UMC?
Well, imho it's a bit pointless, seeing how UMC is not necessarily balanced. I could just go ahead and publish a unit with a 100% cth one-hit-kill attack. insane resistances and good mobility. It wouldn't even be fun...
No, I mean the balanced ones.
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.

MRDNRA

Post by MRDNRA »

Wolf rider and dark adept might be quite interesting, but it would have to be played well. Wolf rider as it's level ups have slow (on one path) and eventually poison (on the other path), plus it has good mobility either way.