Best two units

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Superking

Re: Best two units

Post by Superking »

Caphriel wrote:Grunt + dark adept strikes me as strictly better than spearman + mage. Both your units are cheaper and have more HP in exchange for slightly lower damage and only ranged or melee attacks. Additionally, the dark adept can't get the strong trait, and so is likely to have more useful traits than the mage. Imagine the classic grunt rush with a couple of dark adepts instead of assassin/wolf/archer/whathaveyou.
yeah.. thinking about it, I second this as most powerful combo! Grunt isnt really vunerable to anything, and anything blade resistant enough to trouble the grunts is going to be expensive and crumple VS dark adepts
lover de wesnoth
AlaskanAvenger

Post by AlaskanAvenger »

Cavalry and horsemen or cavalry and spearman or just plain cavalry would be pretty hard on that combo as cavalry is fast and has resist to every damage type they would have.
Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

AlaskanAvenger wrote:Cavalry and horsemen or cavalry and spearman or just plain cavalry would be pretty hard on that combo as cavalry is fast and has resist to every damage type they would have.
Despite both of them being lawful with bad pierce resistance, making them look like target practice to chaotic archers. They also can't go into mountains and have terrible forest and water defense.
powershot

Post by powershot »

Atari is right. Poachers would rip them apart.

Edit: Like Dixie said, it would be a grunt, Poacher, combo.
Last edited by powershot on October 23rd, 2011, 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Yes, poachers would rip them appart... if they were included in the grunt + DA combo...
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Great_Mage_Atari

I would personally prefer to have at least one neutral unit with some good HP traits and one chaotic unit with strong attacks. I do like the Grunt + Mage combo, as the Grunt is brute force and the Mage can kill near anything with fireballs, but I don't like the fact that the Grunt has no prominent resistances, though strong. In the daytime, grunts can be ripped apart by lawful units of the same class (like spearmen). I preferred my Dwarvish Fighter and Dark Adept combo, not only because of the Dwarf's neutrality but also because of its hardiness and high resistances to most every type of attack. Though no attack bonuses are given and the movement amount is low, they would be able to protect Adepts fairly well in almost any given situation. The Adepts can also take one of two routes in its leveling up, one with physical resistances and the other with a plague attack. So, I guess I really do not prefer the lawful and chaotic unit combo compared to the neutral and chaotic/lawful combo.
AlaskanAvenger

Post by AlaskanAvenger »

Great_Mage_Atari wrote:
AlaskanAvenger wrote
Cavalry and horsemen or cavalry and spearman or just plain cavalry would be pretty hard on that combo as cavalry is fast and has resist to every damage type they would have.
Despite both of them being lawful with bad pierce resistance, making them look like target practice to chaotic archers. They also can't go into mountains and have terrible forest and water defense.
I was referring specifically to them as a match for the grunt adept combo as was pretty obvious in my above post...
Also, as a side note, seeing most default maps have very few mountains they would be quite effective vs your dwarf adept combo as well.
Superking

Post by Superking »

y'know, it wouldnt be hard to put together an era of 2 unit factions and have a friendly tourney to find out :D
lover de wesnoth
AlaskanAvenger

Post by AlaskanAvenger »

All we'd have to do is choose Pick Your Own Recruits era and play on a default map.
johnqwilson

Post by johnqwilson »

Hi there, newbie here, but I have been following a few of these threads.
How difficult would this be to set up? Is it just a matter of creating a new faction, or what?
averyimaginativename

Post by averyimaginativename »

johnqwilson wrote:Hi there, newbie here, but I have been following a few of these threads.
How difficult would this be to set up? Is it just a matter of creating a new faction, or what?
The difficult bit is organising a tournament. The WML would take ten seconds per side - just change the leaders and recruit lists in Elvish_sovereign's Spam Era for a quick and dirty fix.
UMC Story Images web gallery

On an indefinite Wesbreak for health reasons - please only try to get my attention for UMC story images website issues.
johnqwilson

Post by johnqwilson »

I understand - how about instead of a big tournament, just simple 1v1 games, and reporting the results here? If I were more experienced in pvp, I might volunteer to start the first game.
AlaskanAvenger

Post by AlaskanAvenger »

If anyone wanted to play such a game I would be up for it using pick your own recruits era
Great_Mage_Atari

AlaskanAvenger wrote:If anyone wanted to play such a game I would be up for it using pick your own recruits era
I would also be interested in playing this.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

I've reconsidered my earlier comments. This would be the best:

1. Elvish Shaman
2. Orcish Assassin

Even without the upgrades, this combination has slow, poison, and heals; impact and blade.

Including all the upgrades, it has slow, poison, heals, cures, magical, and marksman; impact, arcane, blade, and pierce.

The Orcish Assassin would wreak havoc among living creatures, and the Elvish Shaman would be effective against both the living and the undead.

Both units get 70% defense in the forest, and the Orcish Assassin has good defenses almost everywhere, including 70% in the mountains, and is just fast enough to double as a scout.