Best two units

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Boldek

Re: Best two units

Post by Boldek »

powershot wrote:Lets make an Era.

Faction 1:Grunt adept

Faction 2:Archer- Beserker

faction 3: Elvish fighter- archer

faction 4: dwarf fighter adept

faction 5:Spear man- mage.
At that point you could just tell poeple in a normal era what to recruit.
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild
ZhuQ

Post by ZhuQ »

Hrm.. I am well aware of how both units I proposed get creamed vs. adepts at night, but the idea was more or less to use a day/night push.. being faster than them, I thought it would work? the augar may be generally weaker than the adept, but it gives me healing, faster movement, and better terrain defence. Not to mention that it also requires significantly less exp..

On another note, we could run a tournament? There has been significant input to this thread, with many ideas. It seems like it could work (round robin?).
powershot

Post by powershot »

Agreed.
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

ZhuQ wrote:Hrm.. I am well aware of how both units I proposed get creamed vs. adepts at night, but the idea was more or less to use a day/night push.. being faster than them, I thought it would work?
Faster isn't always better. Just because cavalry is faster than spearmen doesn't mean that it's a good idea to send them out against the enemy.
ZhuQ wrote:the augar may be generally weaker than the adept, but it gives me healing, faster movement, and better terrain defence.
It gives you 4+ healing, yes, but that's assuming you can keep it alive long enough for it to be worth spending the gold on.
ZhuQ wrote:Not to mention that it also requires significantly less exp..
Yeah. That's because they don't stay alive for very long anyways. The whole point of the low experience is that if you actually keep the auger from being creamed by just about any melee unit (and, in most cases, ranged units), you can get a semi-decent advancement. Given that all augers are good for is healing, I would rather go with a stronger unit.
ZhuQ

Post by ZhuQ »

Faster isn't always better. Just because cavalry is faster than spearmen doesn't mean that it's a good idea to send them out against the enemy.
Hoping not to get into a brawl as I always tend to do.. I am well aware that speed is not everything, but I know it is useful in day/night push situations. I also wish to note that I would not be spamming out augars like adepts, but simply recruit a few over the course of the game, to heal, and get pesky units off villages and mountains, even if at the wrong time of day.

I would be glad if your adepts came out to attack my units at day, because It would make it so much easier for me. While at dusk/night, I would retreat back and hopefully keep losses at a minimum.. I am talking in flawless and perfect situations here, but hopefully I got my point across.. :|
Superking

Post by Superking »

cavalry pick would get turned into mince by someone with pikeman picked though.. 50% of your unit roster would be horribly inefficent
lover de wesnoth
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

Easy enough to create an era where you can pick two recruits exactly. But it would be a paper/scissors/stone game I'm afraid, only much longer.
Superking

Post by Superking »

I dont think so.. grunt or pike/adept will probably just roll over everything
lover de wesnoth
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

By pikeman, you mean spearman, right? I know they probably don't translate well, but "spearman" is the level 1 unit, and "pikeman" is one of the things it levels up into.
ZhuQ

Post by ZhuQ »

There are plenty of people who would use different combos, though Im afraid most would infact use the grunt-adept combo. If i can get less dodgy internet (in china atm) I would be willing to play a few games and mess around with this two unit game idea.
Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

I'd take anyone on with my Dwarf Fighter and Adept combo.
ZhuQ

Post by ZhuQ »

Great_Mage_Atari wrote:I'd take anyone on with my Dwarf Fighter and Adept combo.
Sounds great! I am willing to give you a game using my drake fighter and augar combo.. Only things are firstly, I cannot play for at least 4 days, possibly more If I cant fix my dodgy internet, and secondly, I am currently based in china, but am moving to australia soon.. This puts me at GMT +8-10 (?) so it might be awkward to find a suitable time :hmm:

But anyway, the point is, I would be happy enough to play anybody using this, because I am getting just slightly bored with typical 1 vs 1 and survivals..

ZhuQ
Gnork

Post by Gnork »

ZhuQ wrote:On another note, we could run a tournament?
I'm willing to participate too! I'd go with spearmen and trolls :)
ZhuQ

Post by ZhuQ »

Gnork wrote:
ZhuQ wrote:On another note, we could run a tournament?
I'm willing to participate too! I'd go with spearmen and trolls :)
ugh... that will be a pain if I run into you :annoyed:

spearman counter my fighters, and You got troll-immovable-object-on-mountains-spam to counter any augar pushes I could make.. :augh:

But hey, this is a fun idea, so, as long as it goes ahead!

Anybody else willing to play a few games/get involved?

ZhuQ
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

the spearman/troll combo would be pretty slow, you would probably die of attrition. Also, it's much more defensive than offensive, you lack a reliable damage dealer (DA is pretty popular in that respect). IMHO, anyway
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth