How many veteran units do you keep for recall?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lokiju

How many veteran units do you keep for recall?

Post by lokiju »

I'm starting the Heir campaign (On the 5th mission right now), and just wondering how many units you guys bother leveling vs. level 1 fodder each scenario? I am keeping 3 archers, 3 fighters, 2 horsemen, 1 scout, 2 druids, and 2 mages (plus a few Merfolk). Is there any reason to focus on leveling more than these?

I should state up front that I am the kind of person who will reload on high level unit loss, so losing them is not a concern (I know, I know, weaksauce). I'm just wondering how many units you want to spend money recalling each scenario?
PeterPorty
Translator

Re: How many veteran units do you keep for recall?

Post by PeterPorty »

I waste most my money recalling, mostly level 2, but I do recall level 3s if I have something with leadership or healing. I also like to keep around a lot of levle 2s much more than some level 3, in fact, I'd much rather have a huge army with half the troops being level 2 and half being level 1 than the same army but with most being 1 and only a few being level 3. (Just personally, I love mages, and I think you should have more. I mean, 2 on the white mage line is pretty good, and 2 on the fire mage line too, since you can get both level 3s.)

Although, it's been ages since I last played Heir to the Throne, so I wouldn't know.
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."
Zaroth
Inactive Developer

Post by Zaroth »

I think that this issue was raised already in a very recent topic. (read the replies)

In short: yes, if you don't plan on save/loading through the campaign or playing on easy mode then effective use of level 1 units is essential.
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Basically, as many as I can then unleash them all in the last scenario! And no, I don't recall much usually in scenarios, only loyals and and few level 2s, with exceptions, of course. Like a Mage of Light when fighting undead, for example. I usually abuse leadership with my level 1s and use them as the bulk of my force.
Rowanthepreacher

Post by Rowanthepreacher »

I used to go into battle with recalled troops only, but I discovered the joys of disposable troops and I've never looked back. Every now and then a disposable troop gets the final hit and adds themselves to the ranks of the recall.

Also, some troops cost more than 20, so because every 4 coins now is 1 coin later, it makes sense to buy them just so they're hanging around and cheaper later.