Replay Review

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
saiko-chriskun
Posts: 14
Joined: January 3rd, 2011, 12:43 am
Contact:

Replay Review

Post by saiko-chriskun »

Hey guys! I found wesnoth I think five days ago now.. it's awesome. Can't get enough of it. Simply the best. Amaz...well, you get the point.

Anyways, I've played quite a few games now but can't quite seem to get the upperhand while playing against other people. I've saved a replay of my most recent game here.. maybe if people could help point out my most blatant mistakes I might remember better for next time :P. Much appreciated!
Attachments
2p_-_Sablestone_Delta_replay.gz
(12.63 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor
Posts: 3991
Joined: January 24th, 2007, 12:56 am

Re: Replay Review

Post by Velensk »

First thing I’d like to point out is that you’re playing Faello who is a very experienced and skilled player, no shame in losing to him.

Turn 1: No comment

Turn 2: It may have been better to move to the keep and recruit. There are advantages to your choice (waiting to see what enemies faction is can help you recruit, less upkeep before troops are needed) however recruiting early gives you more ability to press forward and control terrain which can be very important especially for knalgans.

Turn 3: I find your choice of recruit a little odd though it comes down to a style issue in most respects. I find that when fighting loyalists you want to get a couple guardsmen onto the field so that you can more easily limit the map control of cavalrymen. Alternatively if you were pressing a turn earlier you could have gone with a couple thieves instead of the fighters for a push though it will not work all that well against a heavy infantry.

Turn 4: I would keep a higher concentration of power on the right side of the map. You cannot reliably break through the center and there are no real good targets on the left that you can get to without being flanked but the village the heavy infantry is guarding is relatively hard to defend, also, move your troops forward more. The advantage of getting 70% defense from the mountain as compared to the 60% from the hill next to it is negligible compared to the potential tactical advantage of being able to reach a different hex when you consider that your opponent is most likely not going to counter attack you (and it would be rather foolish to counter attack you at the moment).

Turn 5: Not moving the fighter further forward came back to bite you. If you had you could have attacked with 4 units instead of 3 (thus removing your foes ability to escape and replace the spearman. Even then the attack would be somewhat risky. Other things to note: committing the griffon was likely a mistake. After the fighter missed every time you had no chance to kill the spearman in a turn which means that the spearman can be shuffled out and replaced by a full health unit no matter what you do, in the meanwhile the position you put the griffon in is a poor one and very likely to lose you an expensive unit. It would be better to not commit the griffon but if you are going to commit the griffon you should have reversed its position with the fighter to increase the odds of keeping the more valuable unit.

Turn 6: This turn was filled with questionable choices. You recruit an ulfserker when your enemy has absolutely no ranged units on the field and you harass a spearman you have no chance of killing (And likely will not even do significant damage) while you are away from support and dawn is coming. It will be very easy for him to make it so that escape is impossible for those units and you will not even be able to effectively take advantage of his units being used to trap and kill them.

Turn 7: I trust that the move with the thunderer was meant to be a ‘if I hit, I will follow up if I don’t then I won’t overcommit’ deal, however that is not the way to do that particular trick. Generally you do it when you have a couple footpads or guardsmen or other units that you can safely put in the open to support it and give it a chance to safely retreat if it misses this way the move is not very much of a risk at all. On the other hand, a lone thunderer in the woods attacked on four sides is probably dead so looking at it from a different perspective there is a 40% chance that you might have a small chance to take out a 14gold unit and secure a mountain hex at the cost of having a large number of units in the open against loyalists at day and a 60% chance that you lose a 17 gold unit for very little gain at all. Also, be careful with your ulfserker and try to keep it in an area where the death of a single likely to be killed unit won’t expose it. He could have attacked it with the cavalryman (if I’m any guess roughly a 70%-90% chance for the cavalry to win); he didn’t, probably because he is confident in his ability to get an even better chance soon. He needs but keep one unit in his army safe from the ulfserker because the rest are ulfserker killers and day is coming.

Turn 8: Dwarven toughness and hills can fool you into believing that you can hold the line against loyalists at day. Sometimes this is true sometimes it isn’t. I can almost guarentee this is a case of isn’t as those mages will cut through your defense and resistances and your front fighter can be attacked from 4 sides. The outlaws on the right should be doing their best to get out of the way as at day they do very little damage and lawful loyalists have very little trouble killing them. A few notes about alternative plans. If you are set on holding that center position then what you actually wanted to do was to put the guardsman in the open at 9,14. The guardsman will take more damage if attacked however he will reduce the number of hexes the vanguard fighter can be attacked from by 1 increaseing its chance of survival significantly. Odds are you will still take a beating but this way theres a chance that you’ll survive long enough to deal a beating back. A better alternative might be to pull back everybody which could reduce the number of breaker units he can attack you with to 0. You might also try if you want to hold but don’t want to be attacked by all those mages/heavy infantry switching to holding the fortifications on the side of the map you’ll still have to deal with some of them.


Turn 9: Replay ends.

Overall: A lot of the things I saw here looked like lack of experiance problems. Experiance will help you evaluate all your options more effectively because you know what to look for better. Although I’ve picked apart some of the choices you made in this game every game will bring it’s own choices. My advice for you is that you just keep playing and try to learn what things need to be considered, valued, or avoided.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
User avatar
saiko-chriskun
Posts: 14
Joined: January 3rd, 2011, 12:43 am
Contact:

Re: Replay Review

Post by saiko-chriskun »

thanks for the tips Velensk!

and yeah I had a feeling Faello was one of the better players.. :P
Post Reply