TRoW Southbay - actually Clearwater Port

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Fortify

TRoW Southbay - actually Clearwater Port

Post by Fortify »

Here is an interesting hold as long as you can scenario.

I started this one with the lets go for the hardest V/C. I recruited some quick units first to head to the northern lighthouse area and the Sea Orc Island. Then I recruited 1 castle of cannon fodder and 2 more castles of my best recalls.

I move out (day/night advance/retreat) and by the end of the second day I control the central mountains, the island and the 3 villages in the lighthouse area.

I have killed more than my number in all 3 arenas. Only the Island is firmly in my control. In the other 2 areas the enemies have about double my troops. It looks like I have been sleeping. :cry:

I keep a solid line of units backed up by leadership and healing but ocassionly 2 solid attacks from Orcs or other hard hitting units get lucky and wipe out something like a full health master bowman. In short I cant tell if I am winning.

I could easily make the first ship but was hoping for some stories of how far others have gone.

Cheers

Edit: yes Clearwater Port as you have suggested
Last edited by Fortify on September 29th, 2004, 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The shovel saves more lives than the sword.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Do you mean clearwater port? :?

I find that scenario rather easy, although it might have something to do with the number of advanced units i have at that point. :)

Arch mages with white mages makes a good combination, because it can get assassins with magic without the poison doing much damage. I also use several Master Bowmen, simply because i happened to have several leveled.

Lancers are IMHO vital to this scenario. :) I know you usually wouldn't have many, seeing as how it is a long campaign... but they come in handy. Charge at day, retreat at night...

And thugs/spearmen make good wallls when you start getting beaten and need expendable units.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Mindless

Post by Mindless »

Winning this scenario wasn't very hard.

I was able finish the battle even before second ship arrived so I didn't understand why normal victory is supposed to be when I get to the second ship.

As for the strategy I've took control of the northern lighthouse with knight, swordsman, mage and thief. Those three units were able to hold of the first wave of orcs. Which came to lighthouse. Later on they were asisted by bowmans and mages.

My main army marched agains the middle orc base while a small team of spearmans with support of white mage went to the south orc base. With the help of my ally who took on the hits of assasins and wolf riders I were able to quickly finish the orcs. The last one was easiest to defeat. While most of his army went for the lighthouse I were able to get my main assault to the orc chieftan and take him down in no time.

Note: I hoped it was meant to be about Clearwater Port as Turin mentioned not the Southbay in the topic.
Shade

Well

Post by Shade »

I think it is ClearWater Port. Well I made the map and I've had it go either way, but I win more often than I lose :) In the general case this map is pretty tough. You have a fairly useless ally, 3 rich foes with income, and periodic jolts of gold. . . To those of you that win (& win quickly), good for you, and to those of you that didn't and fled on the third ship, good for you as well, and for the rest of you... This can be a hard level and I sometimes we all have to run :) As long as you find it fun. . .
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
Fortify

Post by Fortify »

Don't get me wrong I like the level and have hardly given up (after 2 attempts). I just thought it was interesting and worth comment. BTW for those of you who finished very early are you playing on easy,medium or hard? I am on Medium.
The shovel saves more lives than the sword.
Mindless

Post by Mindless »

That would explain why you have more problems with the Clearwater Port than I do.
Playing on easy difficulity through all campaings at the moment. Still familiarazing with the game and rules ;)
alittlewoodelfe

Post by alittlewoodelfe »

I played it in medium difficulty and found it not too hard but not too easy too.

I succeed to take the third boat at my second or thirst attempts.

I send knights and some canon food to the lighthouse, kill the first wave and manage to go to the north leader but when I came close to him he begin so send lot of units and i was forced to flee (with a lot of losses).

On the south I send the princess, she take a village and then i send a silver mage on it and take the isle with them. Then I leave it alone because i was in need of reinforcements on the center where I have take the two advanced towers and take them during the whole game by recalling all my advanced units and provided canon food all the time.