Pick your ideal recruits

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Desertofsounds1

Re: Pick your ideal recruits

Post by Desertofsounds1 »

Glowing Fish wrote:Well, I can always dodge this with:

"Depends on the map, depends on the amount of starting gold, depends on the turn limit, depends on the..."

Etc.

It also depends on what my opponent is going to get, or what I think they are going to get.

But, I would say:

1. Elvish Shaman: Slows, heals, and is oh-so-pretty
2. Ulfserker: For use with the above.
3. Stalwart: For defense.
4. Orcish Assassin: Poison enemies, slow them, let the ulfserker finish them off.
5. Elvish Scout: And while my opponent is trying to deal with those four, I sneak around the back and steal their villages.

Of course, having stated that, there is a pretty effective counter to these five units.
Oh nonononono
And what is stalwart? :)
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

He means guardsman.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Velensk wrote:He means guardsman.
Indeed, a stalwart is a level-up of a Dwarvish Guardsman. Easily confused, actually... :hmm:
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

Horus2 wrote:
Battlecruiser_Venca wrote:and what leadres are good in this era?
For leader, everything works what you would choose in default for your faction. Use one of them as a patch for the not-so-obvious weakness of your team.
Personally i vote for Elvish Marksman, Drake Warrior and Troll as the best.
Glowing Fish wrote:Well, I can always dodge this with:

"Depends on the map, depends on the amount of starting gold, depends on the turn limit, depends on the..."

Etc.

It also depends on what my opponent is going to get, or what I think they are going to get.

But, I would say:

4. Orcish Assassin: Poison enemies, slow them, let the ulfserker finish them off.
5. Elvish Scout: And while my opponent is trying to deal with those four, I sneak around the back and steal their villages.

Of course, having stated that, there is a pretty effective counter to these five units.
Well, this team can't offer resistance to anything what has a core fighter, believe me. Brainies die, musculars win...
Also, assassin and ulfserker are totally an anti-combo. They require entirely different strategies.
Well, the biggest problem with it is it is too expensive. Such an elegant and multifaceted approach...but a Ulfserker costs 19 gold and a grunt costs 12 gold. So yes, that is a problem.
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
Battlecruiser_Venca

Post by Battlecruiser_Venca »

what about shaman, ulf, DA, drake fighter, drake burner?
Atz
Art Contributor

Post by Atz »

Horus2 wrote:
But, I would say:

Well, this team can't offer resistance to anything what has a core fighter, believe me. Brainies die, musculars win...
Also, assassin and ulfserker are totally an anti-combo. They require entirely different strategies.
Well, assassin + shaman is okay, since the slow makes it harder for poisoned units to run back to a village. Probably doesn't make up for the poor assassin + ulf match, though.
Last edited by Atz on November 27th, 2010, 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Desertofsounds1

Post by Desertofsounds1 »

So there is a pick your 6 recruits era too.
If you can't choose 5, say 6

btw: played 1 game with Horus2s recruits and did quite well :)
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Saurian Augur, cos they're plain awesome against everything but undead.
Mage, cos they're versatile and can deal with undead. They just need HP soaks so...
Drake Clasher, for HP soak.
Gryphon Rider, because they're [censored] awesome scouts...
Orcish Assassin...just because.

Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Huumy

Post by Huumy »

Elf fighter
Spearman
Dwarf fighter
Adept
Bat
I will have my cheap elf fighters + spearmen backed up with 1 or 2 dwarvish fighters. For killing units in villages I have adepts and ofc Bats are for cheap scouts. This inmobile force would be hard to stop in any time of the day (hopefully).
"And the girl that you want is directly out in front, And she’s waving her caboose at you, You sneeze achoo, She calls you out and boom!"
The offspring, trolling you since forever.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

I'm a campaign player, but here is my list:

Walking Corpse
Footpad (before they're nerfed)
Saurian Auger
Orcish Archer
Spearman

The idea is that all units are cheap, so I can spam a lot of Footpads and the other level 1's, controlling upkeep by supplementing with Walking Corpses. Scouting/village stealing would by provided by quick Footpads, backed up slowly with WC's that serve as village security guards. By day, Spearman take the front line in a mostly defensive stance to protect the Augers. Any wounded Walking Corpses and Footpads can seek healing from an Auger, avoiding wasting valuable village medical facilities. Melee damage would come primarily from WC's at night. My nighttime Footpad-WC front lines would be brittle, but that may be okay, as I'll be going crazy on offense then, and also I have no expensive units to protect. Note that the arcane vulnerability of WC's is offset by arcane resistance of Footpads. If my opponent has impact- and pierce-resistant units, then I could have trouble. However, Woses would fall to the fire arrows.
Battlecruiser_Venca

Post by Battlecruiser_Venca »

woses, clashers and burners?
socialcharlotte

Post by socialcharlotte »

I would use elvish shaman as a leader, stalwart for defense, calvary, then depends on the map
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

socialcharlotte wrote:I would use elvish shaman as a leader, stalwart for defense, calvary, then depends on the map
Shamans are level 1s. Do you mean the Druid or the Sorceress?

Crushmaster

Post by Crushmaster »

Five units, huh? I did something like this back in the day, but...

1. Spearman (good all-around unit, cheap, etc.).
2. Bowman (my two "necessary" units. The bowman is cheap and effective, so can't beat that).
3. Merman fighter (only necessary if there's a decent bit of water. Fairly decent against drakes).
4. Calvaryman (good for soaking up attacks, fighting against orcs under certain circumstances, etc.).
5. Heavy Infantryman (used sparingly...).

Or, something like that. I'm pretty much a Loyalist-only guy...

Merry Christmas! :)
God bless,
Crushmaster.
Godspeed, random person!
NeedGod - User:Crushmaster