Acquiring Death Knights

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Boulis

Acquiring Death Knights

Post by Boulis »

Hello everyone,

New to the forums and I'd like to say hello to everyone. This is, I suppose, a standard noob question but I did a search and could not quite find the answer though I did get 179 hits for "death knights." Simply put, how do I acquire them in-game? I played through Descent into Darkness and also played the AI on multiplayer a few times but I've never been able to figure out how to recruit/create these guys (and for that matter the Chocobone or the Skeletal Dragon). I do apologize once again for the noobish question.

Boulis
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Re: Acquiring Death Knights

Post by Anonymissimus »

All of these are not normally acquirable via recruiting or leveling.
A campaign author could allow you to get them but afaik there are no such campaigns (even among user made ones).
You could add
[campaign]
extra_defines=ENABLE_DEATH_KNIGHT

to DiD's _main.cfg to get Death Knights.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
silent

Post by silent »

Anonymissimus wrote:All of these are not normally acquirable via recruiting or leveling.
A campaign author could allow you to get them but afaik there are no such campaigns (even among user made ones).
You could add
[campaign]
extra_defines=ENABLE_DEATH_KNIGHT

to DiD's _main.cfg to get Death Knights.
Invasion from the unknown does allow you to obtain death knights via leveling skeleton's

There may be other campaigns too that allow this.
Kymille

Post by Kymille »

I think you can get Death Knights/Death Barons in the User-Made Campaign "Invasion from the Unknown." Though I haven't played it in a long time. No Chocobones or Skeletal Dragons though.
Boulis

Post by Boulis »

Thanks everyone for the prompt and informative replies! I was actually hoping to trot them out in multiplayer against a friend but, alas, it's not to be. Probably would not get to Level 3 anyway in a quick 1v1 I would imagine.
Mugumbo

Post by Mugumbo »

Heroes 3...
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

That's OK, Death Knight is rather overpowered in MP anyway. WCs get a 75% boost from its leadership.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

joshudson wrote:That's OK, Death Knight is rather overpowered in MP anyway. WCs get a 75% boost from its leadership.
NECROMANCER!
You'll almost never reach lv. 3 in MP, and if you do, you won't be using any WC at all.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
PeterPorty
Translator

Post by PeterPorty »

LightFighter wrote:
joshudson wrote:That's OK, Death Knight is rather overpowered in MP anyway. WCs get a 75% boost from its leadership.
NECROMANCER!
You'll almost never reach lv. 3 in MP, and if you do, you won't be using any WC at all.
utter crap. A lot of people get several units to level 3 in big maps and WC are REALLY useful.
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."
Just_end_turn

Post by Just_end_turn »

PeterPorty wrote:
LightFighter wrote: NECROMANCER!
utter crap. A lot of people get several units to level 3 in big maps and WC are REALLY useful.
A lot is probably not right, at least not on the "balanced" maps with "balanced" settings. Sometimes you see one or two l3 in long games, but it doesn't happen that often. (Or else, there would have been more talk about the ghoul getting a l3...)

About WC, you're right.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Yeah, to reiterate, basically multiplayer is considered balanced and throwing in even one unit would change the balance completely.

But IF you REALLY want a lot of lvl 3's, just set it to 30% EXP, which can get pretty hectic..
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Ferox

Post by Ferox »

LightFighter wrote:
NECROMANCER!
Bah. By turn 5 in one MP game, I already had a level 3 and three level 2s (3 more to follow over the next 4 turns). This was also on a rather large map.
Araja

Post by Araja »

Introducing 30% exp :P
PeterPorty
Translator

Post by PeterPorty »

There should be a 10% experience...
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."
Just_end_turn

Post by Just_end_turn »

Ferox wrote:
LightFighter wrote: NECROMANCER!
Bah. By turn 5 in one MP game, I already had a level 3 and three level 2s (3 more to follow over the next 4 turns). This was also on a rather large map.
:whistle:

I guess that was with 70% exp and your ennemy used is whole gold to suicide thieves on your units ?