Upkeep

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

fluminor

Upkeep

Post by fluminor »

Hi, I'd need some explication about how upkeep works in BfW. I thought it was like "1 gold per turn per unit" but I've noticed it doesn't work like this... I need understand how it works because I think it is one of the key element to play well, even if it comes after strategy :wink:
Many thanks
sanna

Post by sanna »

It's the same amount of gold per turn as the units level, i.e., 1 gold for level 1 units, 2 gold for level 2 units etc. This however can be modified by the trait loyal. Loyal units never cost more than 1 gold per turn no matter what their level.

This and much more is explained in the in-game help, which you can access either through the Menu, or by pressing f1.

In the Gameplay section, there is a subtopic Income and Upkeep.
Fortify

Post by Fortify »

Also as I understand each friendly village provides unit upkeep and 1 gold. Where 5 villages can pay for 5 units with the free upkeep and 5 units with gold. If you have less than 10 units you collect the extra gold. If you have less than 5 units you will not collect more than 5 gold.
The shovel saves more lives than the sword.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Villages give money from the amout 1 till 5, you probably experimented with 2 gold villages.
Fortify

Post by Fortify »

Neoriceisgood wrote:Villages give money from the amout 1 till 5, you probably experimented with 2 gold villages.
This was what I saw while playing TRoW recently.
The shovel saves more lives than the sword.
Bandobras

Post by Bandobras »

Neoriceisgood wrote:Villages give money from the amout 1 till 5, you probably experimented with 2 gold villages.
No, I have the same effect: 1 upkeep + 1 gold from each village. I only wonder if the 1 upkeep makes one 1st level unit free, or could it possibly make 3rd level unit free, and if so how is decided which unit.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Neoriceisgood is talking about M(ulti)P(layer). village gold in campaigns are indeed 2, always. :)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

turin wrote:village gold in campaigns are indeed 2, always. :)
You mean 1.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Here's the deal with default settings:

- each village gives you one gold in income.
- each unit has an upkeep cost. Usually this is equal to the level of the unit. Loyal units never have an upkeep higher than 1, and units that join you voluntarily, rather than being recruited, generally have an income of 0.
- If your upkeep cost is less than or equal to the number of villages you control, you pay 0 in upkeep. If your upkeep cost is higher than the number of villages, you have to pay the difference between your upkeep cost and number of villages.

In-game the amount of upkeep you are paying is displayed next to the coins with the red arrow. It is in the format x (y). x is the amount you are actually paying in upkeep, and y is the amount you would be paying in upkeep if you had no villages.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming