TRoW "The Fall"

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Fortify

TRoW "The Fall"

Post by Fortify »

I thought I did pretty good on the "Summer of Storms" I upgraded to a Swordsman, Longbowman, Haldric L2, as well as 3 more spearmen at about 30% and a horseman at 50%. That with 427 gold.

Then you face a leader well hidden in his corner and you are forced to meet the bulk of the wesfolk forces at night accross the swamp/water at NIGHT because you are being chased/rushed by orcs.

I rush with the king and can get a small force accross but the losses at night are brutal. What are your experiences here?
The shovel saves more lives than the sword.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Use mages. Mages kill elusivefoots. I actually leveled two in this level. Also, as many Swordsmen as you can get, they're pretty useful. (nice and tough, elusivefoots weak to blade, etc.)
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Shade

Also

Post by Shade »

Also, in daylight any hit from a Horseman (Particularly with Eldaric's leadership behind then) will pretty much kill any given Outlaw. 'The Way' I would reccomend playing this map is as follows: Move your forces to the footbridge with the footpad on it. Force your enemies to fight you from the swamp and water. Slowly fall back with the Heavy Infantrymen to the north. Stay cool. You're not in trouble until a few turns after the Orcs catch up with you-- By the time they do there should be few outlaws left. . . When the Orcs get to your main force push hard at the Lady Outlaw. I made the Outlaws a smidgen weaker in CVS a few days ago, this should also help.
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
grochti

Post by grochti »

This level is plain simple (on medium/hard).
Evacuate your Heavy Infanterie (They will be worth gold later) recruit/recall one or two castles full of spearman,bowmen and mages. Move them over the mountains towards the outlawish castle. Most of the thieves and outlaws will die in fighting the orcs.
I lost this level only once because this stupid outlaw lady was killed by the orcs before i arrived her.
Fortify

Post by Fortify »

grochti wrote:This level is plain simple (on medium/hard).
Evacuate your Heavy Infanterie (They will be worth gold later) recruit/recall one or two castles full of spearman,bowmen and mages. Move them over the mountains towards the outlawish castle. Most of the thieves and outlaws will die in fighting the orcs.
I lost this level only once because this stupid outlaw lady was killed by the orcs before i arrived her.
Ok I finished it using the sneak across the southern mountains tactic. This was not 100% easy and it still took 3 tries. First if I left my retreating heavy infantry even look like a tasty target the outlaws would start picking on them and I would lose one by the time I finish. second if I had to hesitate slightly in the south or the rebels would be on me at night in significant numbers. No level ups but no losses and I got some good xp's.

Finally I am faced with the join me or die choice. I assume it is,
Allow her to join
and you get to recruit outlaws.
Die - kill the bandit leader
and you get 50 gold.
Are there any other implications here?
Bablefish

Post by Bablefish »

Acually I choose the second option, because I want my forces to completly be non-outlaw.... Right now I am in the 5th or 6th senario of the campain, and have seen know implications so far, but maby someone else has...
Tieom

Post by Tieom »

Acually I choose the second option, because I want my forces to completly be non-outlaw.... Right now I am in the 5th or 6th senario of the campain, and have seen know implications so far, but maby someone else has
I've made it to Southbay and so far for me, outlaw forces have been moderately useful in The Oldwood, and incredibly important in The Midlands. The Footpad's 70% defense in woods made them a lynchpin in holding the patch of woods to the SW of the starting castle from orcish assassins, and in initially pushing west.

BTW... The northern guards from The Fall are insanely useful. I managed to save one of them (the one that stands in back), and hoo boy are Iron Maulers good to have around. Beating that scenario with all three north guards alive would make Clearwater Port and The Midlands a breeze as long as you had enough white mage support.
Fortify

Post by Fortify »

Tieom wrote:
Acually I choose the second option, because I want my forces to completly be non-outlaw.... Right now I am in the 5th or 6th senario of the campain, and have seen know implications so far, but maby someone else has
I've made it to Southbay and so far for me, outlaw forces have been moderately useful in The Oldwood, and incredibly important in The Midlands. The Footpad's 70% defense in woods made them a lynchpin in holding the patch of woods to the SW of the starting castle from orcish assassins, and in initially pushing west.

BTW... The northern guards from The Fall are insanely useful. I managed to save one of them (the one that stands in back), and hoo boy are Iron Maulers good to have around. Beating that scenario with all three north guards alive would make Clearwater Port and The Midlands a breeze as long as you had enough white mage support.
I did complete the level with all 3 guards alive(I think EP did as well)they did no fighting, but this did take 3 restarts(not save/load). That is good to know about the outlaws. That almost makes this a branch. Completing future scenario's with or without outlaws.
Shade

You will eventuallu get

Post by Shade »

You will eventually get the outlaws anyway, in Return to Oldwood. . . Long term it just creates an early twist in the story that gets worked out. . .
caranha

Post by caranha »

Hey, shade, are we really supposed to keep that heavy infantrymen?

While it is cool to keep them, I think they would remain with your father to cover your retreat, right?

About tatics... send some cannon fodder to the middle area while you sneak your mages through the mountains... it will distract the bandits guarding the leader, and make them engage the orcs when these arrive.
--
Claus Aranha
Mad Scientist
Shade

I've been

Post by Shade »

I've been thinking about making them stay with Eldaric on Medium and Hard. Right now people seem to like being able to 'cheat' and keep them. They were originally put there to help keep the Orcs from slamming into your flank too early. Hmm. . . I should do a poll or something. . .
Fortify

Re: I've been

Post by Fortify »

Shade wrote:I've been thinking about making them stay with Eldaric on Medium and Hard. Right now people seem to like being able to 'cheat' and keep them. They were originally put there to help keep the Orcs from slamming into your flank too early. Hmm. . . I should do a poll or something. . .
I think you should force people to use them. The dialog says that you are being flanked. It would not be to hard to imagine a Wolf Rider or two who have slipped past the HI guards, which would force them to fight their way south then you would have to be good, lucky or both to get a heavy infantry out. :?

Alternately you could switch them to Spearmen, I know this is more boring :cry: but then there is no reason to try to save them.
Bablefish

Post by Bablefish »

Another idea that you could do is to place the heavy infantary really close to the orc castle. In this way people dont have enough time to retreat them, and must use them to defend against the orcs..... I know that the problem with this is that they might kill the orc leader before he has a chance to recruit units, but maby you could start him off with a few units to that this cannot happen..

My two cents
Shade

The maulers

Post by Shade »

The maulers being where they are isn't in question here. The aren't to reach the keep in the first turn if they charge-- that's also the reason why I don't want to use spearmen. The only thing that is really up for debate is the circumstances in which you get to keep them (I don't want to trounce on people's brainstorming, but I just don't want you to overinvest in this to have me come back and say 'No' 10 posts later.)
Invisible Philosopher

Post by Invisible Philosopher »

I don't think having them be Shock Troopers and you get to keep them is any good even in Easy. I think you should never get to keep them, because how many survive makes too much of a difference. But, that's not a particularly strong opinion.
Play a Silver Mage in the Wesvoid campaign.