heir to the throne the dwarven doors

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

tony5312

heir to the throne the dwarven doors

Post by tony5312 »

i cant beat the campain heir to the throne , the level called the dwarven doors!plz tell me tips and stuff i have 500 plus gold and a elvish ranger and a elvish high lord but i cant figure it out! :annoyed: :augh: plz tell me some strategies
norbert

Re: heir to the throne the dwarven doors

Post by norbert »

tony5312 wrote:heir to the throne , the level called the dwarven doors
See:
http://wiki.wesnoth.org/HeirToTheThrone ... rven_Doors
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8712
Dodgy Tactician

Post by Dodgy Tactician »

tony5312 wrote:i have 500 plus gold and a elvish ranger and a elvish high lord
By the time you get there, you should have a few more troops. You want to aim to arrive at the start of the level with a recall list something along these lines:
  • Konrad (Level 3).
  • Kalenz (Level 2-3) - Use him to weaken trolls, because they are weak to his Faerie Fire attack.
  • Delfador.
  • 1-2 Elvish Marshals and 3-4 Champions, Heroes and Captains (including Loflar the loyal one) - Leadership is worth a vast amount when getting low-level units to level up, so Captains, Marshals and Konrad should use their Leadership bonus as much as possible.
  • 3-4 Elvish Marksmen and Sharpshooters (including Niodien the loyal one) - I don't really bother with Rangers in HttT, I find that the Marksman/Sharpshooter line gives me a much better return on my investment (gold and XP) than the Ranger/Avenger line does.
  • 2-3 Rogues and Assassins (preferably the loyal ones) - The combination of Skirmisher and Backstab is great for killing off key units, especially at night.
  • 1-2 Elvish Druids and Shydes - Use them to slow enemy units and then have a melee unit attack on each side of them, those units will take half damage if you managed to slow the enemy and they will also be healed at the start of their next turn.
  • 1-2 Elvish Sorceresses, Enchantresses and Sylphs - I don't get that many because I tend to get more Magi. They have a better Slow attack than the Druid/Shyde line but no healing, also great against Undead and Trolls with their Arcane attacks.
  • 1-2 White Magi and Magi of Light (including Moremirmu if you went to Elensefar via the Isle of the Damned) - Healing speaks for itself and Illuminate prevents the enemy from getting his darnkess bonus against you; this in conjunction with Slow and Leadership can make a powerful enemy unit easy prey for your Level 1 units (gaining them experience rapidly).
  • 2-3 Magi, Red Magi, Archmagi, Silver Magi and Great Magi (including Elrian who I tend to make a Great Mage) - Great guys to have around against basically everyone except Drakes, I tend to make Elrian a Great Mage and all the others Silver Magi.
  • 3-4 Horsemen and Knights (including Haldiel) - I tend to focus on recalling Horsemen and promoting them to Knights because the Horseman to Knight promotion is a huge step change in power for the amount of XP required.
  • 1-2 Elvish Riders or Elvish Outriders - I rarely get more than one because most of the aboveground HttT maps have no shroud or fog of war, but they are superb scouts, village grabbers, screeners and distractions.
That is by no means a comprehensive list and everyone has their own personal preferences and quirks (I'm a huge fan of Sharpshooters but I dislike Lancers and Rangers for example). You won't need every unit on your recall list in every scenario, but if you keep on training up new units all the time, then you should have a recall list that has enough strength in depth that you have at least one way of playing each scenario (and often more).
Joram

Post by Joram »

I think that list is a bit harsh, in that it gives an impression you need more than you do (my opinion, of course). I've managed all right with 6-8 fewer units than his range, but on the whole, it's a pretty reasonable guide. If all you have is a Ranger, you should probably go back and replay some scenarios. Maybe even start the campaign over, or try a shorter one first (like Two Brothers or An Orcish Incursion). That would be my first suggestion. On the other hand, maybe it's still doable.

Send out screens of throw-away units to the left and right to slow down the orcs. Use a core of fast units (probably horsemen) to move north with Konrad, Kalenz, and Delfador. The northwestern leader will be a problem since you don't have many levelled units, so you'll probably have to recruit fairly heavily. This will allow the enemies time to also recruit and get their forces in position, so you're in for a tough fight. Try to draw the orcs out into the open and get some horsemen levelled up in the fighting.
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Just as a note, HttT has been completed with no recalls on hard.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

HomerJ wrote:Just as a note, HttT has been completed with no recalls on hard.

Greetz
HomerJ
And also only recalls. Like no recruiting. On hard too. So it's definitely possible with the troops you have.
Battlecruiser_Venca

Post by Battlecruiser_Venca »

but theese are challenges, you must first larn about basic flow of the game (how to level units, how to keep units alive, what units recruit etc.)
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Battlecruiser_Venca wrote:but theese are challenges, you must first larn about basic flow of the game (how to level units, how to keep units alive, what units recruit etc.)
Exactly. HomerJ and I are merely proving that it can be done with what tony5312 has at the moment.
Dodgy Tactician

Post by Dodgy Tactician »

Joram wrote:I think that list is a bit harsh, in that it gives an impression you need more than you do (my opinion, of course). I've managed all right with 6-8 fewer units than his range, but on the whole, it's a pretty reasonable guide.
Perhaps I wasn't that clear, I meant to imply that that is a typical recall list at that point in the campaign. You definitely don't need all of those units in every scenario.