need help with LoW Costly Revenge

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Narchya

Re: need help with LoW Costly Revenge

Post by Narchya »

This is all well and good on medium, but on hard you'll be lucky to have a decent recall list after human alliance. I actually had some avengers and a marshall left, next to the 5 useless dwarf tanks and my [censored] of (for this level useless) sylphs and shydes, which both ditched me for this scenario.... I managed to level a fighter and an archer to lvl 2 in breaking the siege and still come out with 400 gold, but I don't see how this can work. The only loyal unit I have left is one avenger, as the others perished in human alliance, which I don't want to replay anymore. Also with the skirmishers, I can't leave any holes in my lines, or they surround my defenders and whack away.
kriskrosed

Post by kriskrosed »

I remember I lost most of my loyal units the first time I played through the campaign as well. I came into this scenario with just Landar and the minimum gold and got absolutely annihilated. It's really worth it to do everything you can to keep all of your loyal units alive, even going back to replay scenarios to get them back. It sucks to do, but it's worth it in the long run.

As for the replay above, it's from a playthrough on the hardest difficulty, not medium. It was just from v1.8. I ran this again though on v1.10, just to be sure everything still works. Turns out it was actually a bit easier. On the hardest difficulty, the saurians now start with 600g and 400g instead of 800g and 500g in v1.8. Also, the turn length has been increased from 25 turns to 30.

Here's a replay on the hardest difficulty, v1.10, using the same tactics as above. No cheating. Only used 200g which is 20g less than the minimum, although all five of my loyal units were still alive. Recruited 4 fighters and 2 archers. Recalled one each of the following: hero, champion, ranger, avenger, and sharpshooter. Even in the worst case, I would find it hard to believe someone having a worse recall list than that, and it sounds like yours was a little bit better. Won on turn 26 and only lost two units although I probably should have lost a third. I really don't know what else to say other than it can be done, and you can be the one doing it. Certainly, you can do it with 400g no matter how many loyals you've lost.

It does really help to have your loyals alive, though, and have two rangers/avengers to mess up the villages. The AI just goes berserk over them. Also, use the heck out of Kalenz. He's a beast in this scenario. The real key, though, is rotating your units properly. If you can level them efficiently, this scenario is a breeze.
Attachments
LoW-Costly_Revenge_replay.gz
(58.96 KiB) Downloaded 547 times
ike755

Post by ike755 »

I have the ios version, which is equivalent to i believe version 1.5. Unless any major changes have been made, the best bet is to develop a "fairy squad" of Shydes and Sylphs early on, so that by the time you get to this level, you can use your main troops against the southernmost saurians. Once this is done, send the fairies along the east side of the map to kill the northern leader. Don't worry about the north troops; they'll be bogged down in the snow, and by the time they get to you, your fairies will already be at the north keep.

By the way, the "fairy squad" can also be used in other levels where an assassination is needed, due to their excellent movement and powerful magic attacks. As long as they stay together, they can't be defeated.
taptap

Post by taptap »

It did change massively. There are no shaman line units and no wose available in this scenario.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Smedley

Post by Smedley »

Im fighting thru this scenario now (Normal) on 1.12. played it many times trying find out what works. Reading your tips, ya I gottao go back a few scenarios and build the loyals and come in with good cash,,, it _IS_ hard! :D