Strategy for Knalgans: Village Grabbing?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Thunderclap

Strategy for Knalgans: Village Grabbing?

Post by Thunderclap »

Hi!

Me and a few friends started playing Wesnoth a few weeks ago, and we read most of the HowTo and so on
articles in this forum. There are many nice threads about game mechanics and what unit to use in what situation.

I've been playing Knalgans most of the time and I win most of the games I play against my friends (yes we are all
novice!). I follow a strategy I worked out myself (ok, it rather figured out to work during ordinary gameplay): I grab
villages and try to hold em as long as possible. I do not retreat with all my units. Due to the fact that a Dwarfish Fighter
can soak up tons of dmg, he doesn't get killed in one turn. I do not attack with that dwarf and in most cases that dwarf has
a "healthy" trait. Swapping the place with a second (or third) Dwarfish Fighter is quite sustainable.
I win those matches, because I do own nearly every village after quite a time (15/16 for exmpl.)

My question now is: Is it luck that I do win those matches? Is the reason for this the fact, that my friends and I are novice?

I'm looking forward to read your answers - could "Dwarfish village grabbing" be used seriously?

Sincerly,
Thunderclap
monochromatic

Re: Strategy for Knalgans: Village Grabbing?

Post by monochromatic »

The only problem I see with Dwarvish Fighters stealing villages is that they're so slow that the other units would get to the village before the DF gets there. Now if you says Footpads going out and stealing those villages and DFs coming in to hold them, that's scary.
noopy757

Post by noopy757 »

Grammer police: my friend and I :D
but i agree with Elvish Sovereign Dwarves holding villages ARE scary..
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

You technique will work fine against novices however it will fail against experianced players.

To elaborate: Dwarvish fighters are quite tough and can hold villages quite well however there are ways to remove them especially if you just sit there on the villages and do not either attack or retreat. A novice playe may simply just throw their units at your dwarvish fighters trying to push them off and get slaughtered but if somebody who knows how to bust forts prepares and you do not take inititive to either stop them or surrender land you will die. An experianced player will not attack unless he has good odds to break you and will know how to set up his offense so that he has good odds to do so.

Undead can fairly reliably remove a fighter if they can get access to three hexsides with dark adepts.
Loyalists can get through with mages/horsemen/fencers/heavy infantry
Rebels can get through with mages/woses/archers
Drakes can get through with augers/burners
Northerners can get through with poison/sheer numbers at night though they have a hard time of it.
Other Knalgans have the most trouble of it but even they can do it.

Once you have lost a village, if you fail to retake it attrician will turn against you.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Smu

Post by Smu »

Hi Thunderclap, I'm new to the game as well (by coincidence, I started playing it a few weeks ago also). Msg me for a game if you see me online any time, I play as Northerners or Loyalists mostly.

As far as your question goes, it is not easy to understand until you explain how you manage to get all those villages in the first place. Your opponent's probably don't play very too well to allow you to grab their villages like that. If you have 15/16 villages you have long since won the game, the fact that you are defending them as Knalga is not really part of any strategy, the hard part is getting them.
Huumy

Post by Huumy »

Dwarves are really good at holding their ground, so I say you should use the virtues of the knalgans where ever you can. Maybe in smaller conflicts away from your opponent main army you can hold villages as long as you want. But as general strategy it wouldn't work. Good players would patiently wait till it's the best time of the day for them and kill your army during it.
But maybe you are doing some sort of rush in the first night with faster and chaotic knalgan units and hold as many villages as you can with slower dwarves that back up the rush. That might work vs some factions.

In general theres nothing wrong to use the strategy that works as long as it works.
"And the girl that you want is directly out in front, And she’s waving her caboose at you, You sneeze achoo, She calls you out and boom!"
The offspring, trolling you since forever.