Unnheulu's compilation of his failed mp attempts

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: Unnheulu's compilation of his failed mp attempts

Post by Velensk »

Turn 1: I generally prefer one ghost one bat but what you have is fine.

Turn 2: No comment

Turn 3: From the perspective of combat readiness it would have been better to claim the village in the back with the bat that was already in the back and sent the other bat out to scout.

Turn 4: I find it a bit strange that you retreat as night is coming, granted it is to early to expose yourself but you should at least try to advance so that you can carry out a threat next turn.

Turn 5: No comment.

Turn 6: No comment.

Turn 7: The move with the bat was very unlikely to be worth it. Stealing a village is worth roughly 3 gold worth of gain per player turn (so 6 gold for a full turn). Bats cost 13 apiece. It might have been worthwhile to send the bat further back to pull his forces away from you for day however judging by your opponents aggression it wouldn’t make that big a difference anyway.

Turn 8: No comment.

Turn 9:You could have edged forward a bit more aggressively though this is a style call.

Turn 10: Very poor planning here, you send the skeleton out to fight the burners but then you run his backup to a place where they cannot help support him. You also run them to a place where they cannot really effectively threaten anything other than a single clasher. This is a very aggressive match-up, you need to press your threat while you can (at dusk and night) your retreat sabotaged your ability to follow through with the skeleton or press an offense effectively giving him the skeleton for free.

Turn 11: You abandoned a flank unnecessarily. Don’t let your enemy take your villages for free.

Turn 12: What is it with you and attempting to mount an offense with your leader? Leaders work best as defense because this does not require you to halt your flow of reinforcements for long. You can sometimes get away with it with fast leaders but the cost of keeping your leader per keep is about 1 unit per player turn (2 for a full turn) more or less depending on villages and upkeep but it is not something that you can afford over an extended period of time. Now a nice thing about this is that you get all those units back as soon as your leader gets back to the keep however if you go on offense with your leader chances are you aren’t going to make it back to the keep.

Turn 13: You’ve committed to an assault you are unlikely to come out ahead in.

Turn 14: No comment.

Turn 15: Attacking a fire drake with a bone shooter at day, ouch.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

Ok, I decided to try playing on the EoM(agic) for a change...Unsurprisingly I lost, maybe due to an over-reliance on my leader, or as shadowblack said, all-or-nothing attacks.
Attachments
2p_-_Hamlets_replay(magic).gz
(12.49 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

I wouldn't mind some tips myself, since this is the first time I ever used this faction (though I have seen others use it before). I know I was rather reckless with my leader and could lose him if my luck had been worse, but I'm sure that's not the only mistake I did.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Notes: I’m not very familiar with EoMa metagame so I may give advice regarding how it seems that is incorrect. It is possible, though I am in no position to comment on it, that the match you were playing was unbalanced.

Turn 1: No comment.

Turn 2: No attempt to grab the village sin the upper left corner?

Turn 3: Again, moving your leader away from the keep halts the flow of reinforcements and reduces your ability to respond to your enemy though in this case as you are chaotic you can probably get away with it.

Turn 4: You attack seemed a bit risky for taking out a 16 gold unit. You have missed a village.

Turn 5: Instead of giving the wyvern the kill it could very well have been best to kill the alchemist with something else and run the wyvern away, you can hardly afford to lose a 27 gold unit like that. The other thing I’d note is that your tactics made it very easy to flank you.

Turn 6: No comment.

Turn 7: Your luck was poor, you had a decent chance to win right there but it didn’t work out and at this point you are quite far behind.

Turn 8: Not sure that wyvern was the best choice there, he has water elementals which should be quite a threat to the wyvern.

Turn 9: No comment:

Turn 10: probably would have been better to pull back for one more turn.

Turn 11: No comment.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

One thing I'd like to point out:
Your leader had no ranged attack at all, and only ONE of your initial recruits had a ranged attack. The rest were melee-only, which would leave you vulnerable to strong archers (and it did).

Oh, by the way, near the end you sent a Wyvern to the east end of the map. Because you placed it next to the border of the map you limited its movement, making it easy for a couple of fast units to ZOC it and keep it away from your keep, where it would've been a lot more useful.

P.S.: You probably realized this yourself, but sending you Leader out to attack the approaching enemies was a very bad move (even if we ignore the fact that you sent a melee-only unit against opponents with highly-accurate ranged attacks). It made it possible to surround and kill your leader without any real resistance
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

Due to a lack of time, I just had a multiplayer vs ai. I was bored, so 25gold ea.

Replay attached, pretty sloppy play on my part, but, the ai seemed fairly forgiving.

EDIT: I won this
Attachments
2p_-_Hamlets_replay.gz
(17.73 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
PainfulAC

Post by PainfulAC »

Just one thing; be sure that when you are the undead and the time of day changes to dusk, you are moving your units forward to attack. Don't leave them where they are as the enemy will most likely not attack.
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

Loss again^^

Random vs rebels, I turned out as rebels. Maybe I should've been more cautious. Economy fell apart. Boom.
Attachments
's_Ruins_replay.gz
(16.77 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Turn 1: You choose a very slow start for this map. In general you should either move to the castle next to yours and recruit some more units sending the first castles units to the east, or you should send your leader toward the castle to the east and send your first few units to the west (unless I have a 6mp leader I usually do the former).

Turn 2: You missed the mountain village right next to where you start. It’s better to claim that early than to grab the stuff in front of it then have to run back.

Turn 3: No comment.

Turn 4: You needed to send troops east else against any opponent who isn’t overly defensive you will have an impossible time preventing them from capturing your village.

Turn 5: Your past mistakes are taking their toll.

Turn 6: Essentially at this point you’re banking on assassinating his leader which is a long shot at best.

Overall: Plan your initially recruit more carefully and be mindful of weaknesses in your line.