How do you see enemy/friendly unit range minus other units?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Molean

How do you see enemy/friendly unit range minus other units?

Post by Molean »

I know of ctrl b, but that command doesn't tell you of individual unit reach.

What I normally want to be able to know is if I move a bunch of other units back, can X unit reach X square. You can move em back with fog delay off, or check individual spaces for enemy unit movement usage, but its a hassle to do repeatedly. Is there a way to check that with a hot key or something?

Likewise, is there a way to check for your own units, what their range would be if 1 or more enemy units weren't there other then manually counting spaces, space usage, and around other units ZoC? For this it would be nice if I could take all enemy units out of the equation, but even better if I could take selective ones out.(so I can see how far I can travel if I manage to kill X enemy units, before I make the kill attempt)
Molean

Re: How do you see enemy/friendly unit range minus other units?

Post by Molean »

No such option exists?
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

I see what you want now, put in other words, in a scenario with fog you would like to have the option to see how far you have to retreat your unit from the enemy scout to be safe, which is easy if your own movement is higher. If not it doesn't work because you can not highlight the enemy and see his movement (of course on only flat terrain you can easily estimate it but on rough terrain it can be different).

The other suggestion also sounds reasonable, to have a available hex estimation ignoring ZoC.

I don't know how hard this would be to code, at least the second idea seems easy enough for a feature request. Maybe some dev hints if idea no1 would go into experimental.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Molean

Post by Molean »

No, you have completely misunderstood. I will try again.

First inquiry, a vague example.

I am facing a group of enemy units, and I have a bunch of units in front of this group. Behind my bunch of units, lies a important unit or two, perhaps partially injured, needs to be kept out of playing defense as much as possible anyway. Said vulnerable units can't move very far for what ever reason. Lets say the time of day was wrong and I wanted to retreat back my bunch of units.

I want to know what enemy units/how many enemy units, can reach the vulnerable units if I back up the rest in a retreat. How can I determine this without actually retreating them all with fog reveal off and manually checking?

Second example for a different kind of feature.

Again facing that group of enemy units, I want to attack one or two of my enemys vulnerable units hiding behind lines.

I want to determine how many units will be able to reach the enemy vulnerable units if I take out sufficient ZoC blockers to free up access to them. How can I determine this without manually counting spaces and terrain movement usage in relation to total speed of different units?
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Molean wrote:No, you have completely misunderstood.
That might be the case. I still don't get it, I hope someone else does.

Greetz
HomerJ
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

It sounds like he wants to be able to do the range checks with ctrl+B and ctrl+V, except he wants to be able to tell which specific units can reach which locations, or do a range check for one unit at a time, for friendly or enemy units, which seems like useful functionality.

It also sounds like he wants to be able to ignore the ZoC of specific enemy units without ignoring the ZoC of all of them for range checking purposes.
Araja

Post by Araja »

I got that impression as well.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

maybe its too simple, but you can always look how much movement a unit has, and then count how far it can reach ;)
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

I think this is well known Mabuse, but can be tiresome to look up the movement penalties, calculate the movement (while not getting the rounding wrong) and do that for different possible routes that the units can take. I usually am to lazy to do that...

Greetz
HomerJ
taemyr

Post by taemyr »

Rounding is only an issue if your enemies are slowed.