Need help for The Western Invasion.

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

xombie123

Need help for The Western Invasion.

Post by xombie123 »

I am currently in the stage where we need to kill all those gryphons and trolls.
Here is the image for helping you to recognize:

All my units available are showed in the map.
I cannot protect my leaders and wizards completely.
Those gryphons walk too fast that they can ignore my guardians who cannot be put perfectly since the ice gounds and the mountains hinder.

Any tips for my units?
Icarusvogel

Re: Need help for The Western Invasion.

Post by Icarusvogel »

The Iron Maulers are totally useless in mountains. I would strongly advise you not to recruit them here, but just attack with hordes of level 1 units.
You are a Necromancer - Intelligent and powerful, yet reclusive and misunderstood, you dabble in dark arts that everyone else can only dream of.
xombie123

Post by xombie123 »

But other units are easily killed due to the enemies' strong attack.
And their mobility.
Icarusvogel

Post by Icarusvogel »

The point is, it doesn't matter if a few are killed - you don't want to recall. Your army will be big, and you will win not throuh quality, but quantity.
You are a Necromancer - Intelligent and powerful, yet reclusive and misunderstood, you dabble in dark arts that everyone else can only dream of.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Unless you're playing on the easiest difficulty, you're going to be screwed anyway with those units in the next couple of scenarios. And even on the easiest difficulty it'd be be hard. So better just backtrack several scenarios and try to level up some other units as well (such as cavalrymen).
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

xombie123 wrote:I am currently in the stage where we need to kill all those gryphons and trolls.
Here is the image for helping you to recognize:

All my units available are showed in the map.
I cannot protect my leaders and wizards completely.
Those gryphons walk too fast that they can ignore my guardians who cannot be put perfectly since the ice gounds and the mountains hinder.

Any tips for my units?
Its' been a while since I played this, but I recall I had trouble with this as well. I would just try to either keep my leader/heros back away from the front, or surround them with other units as much as possible. Make sure you have a healer near your leaders just in case.
zookeeper wrote:Unless you're playing on the easiest difficulty, you're going to be screwed anyway with those units in the next couple of scenarios. And even on the easiest difficulty it'd be be hard. So better just backtrack several scenarios and try to level up some other units as well (such as cavalrymen).
The thing is, I can see how, in a campaign where the enemy is primarily Undead, one would think the logical approach is to level Mages and Heavy Infantry. Problem is, of course, you then hit a scenario where they aren't worth as much. And it would be a good idea, in general, to field more Cavalry, as they are generally useful for scouting and not a bad way to take out Adepts either in my experience.

Edit: And you should probably try to have leveled your leader/heros up to level 3 by this point. That would reduce the risk of them getting killed in this scenario.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Icarusvogel

Post by Icarusvogel »

Hm... as the main enemies in this are level 2 (16xp each, leveling party), I would say you still stand a chance if you start making a varied army, NOW!
silent

Post by silent »

You need to go back several levels, at least even all the way back to the second scenario.

There is no other way, both leaders, if I recall correctly require passing through mountain hexes to get to, and horses/iron maulers cannot do this. Your loyal units are far too weak as well, and you will get absolutely annihilated in about 2 scenarios time, even if by some miracle you manage to beat this and the next scenario.

Here are some tips for you
-levelling your loyal units should be a priority, especially for gweddry, who can dispense leadership to everyone at level 4, and owaec, who really stinks and will cost you scenarios if not leveled soon.
-In scenario 3, if you can, you should make every effort to kill the western dark sorcerer, and try and proceed to mal ravanal's capital, in order to obtain a loyal paladin at the least (if you're lucky, it may also be possible to obtain a knight or 2 as well).
-Cavalrymen, with the exception of vs skeleton archers at dusk/night, are very good mobile walls, and can soak up damage, run away to heal, and level into stronger mobile tanks. while they will be weaker than HI, there will be several scenarios where this can be advantageous.
-Make an effort to level some horsemen into paladin, they are easily one of, if not the best unit for this campaign.
-any unit that obtains holy water (preferably a loyal unit e.g gweddry, or spearmen) become indispensable, at least up to a certain point, and should be protected at all cost.
-When you get to the scenario "the two paths", although it may require more effort, you should kill the orc leader, there is a slightly better reward awaiting you if you take the next scenario as a result of killing the orc leader, and then the orc leader in the following scenario.

You will have to go back potentially many scenarios though. This is one of the, if not the most frustrating campaign to play, and is very difficult if you have not done all you can to take advantage of every possible bonus along the way.
xombie123

Post by xombie123 »

Thank you all so much.
I thought it would be a good idea to have those units.
Since it had so many skeleton units.

Also, should I have some pikemen?

Edit: I found that I cannot level my calvaryman into paladin?
only dragon knight...not sure if it is called dragon knight in English version
Aisling

Post by Aisling »

Within the human faction, there are two kinds of soldiers on horseback: The cavalryman and the horseman.

The cavalryman can level into the dragoon and finally becomes a cavalier
The horseman can become either a lancer or a knight, the knight, on its turn, can become a paladin or a grand knight.

for more information on what units can become what unit: Wesnoth unit tree
Guided by reason, informed by science
inspired by art, motivated by compassion