What is the minimum amount of experience for recalling

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MRDNRA

What is the minimum amount of experience for recalling

Post by MRDNRA »

that you generally tend to look for? (Sorry, couldn't fit all the question in the subject heading)

I generally try to get units that have a least 8 experience as my main recall list, occasionally, I will go for units with less (for example an intelligent unit that has only 7EXP, or if i need a unit with specific traits for a certain situation). This is, however, in contrast to how I used to recall when I first started playing, when I would just recall any units I had, even if they didn't have any EXP and it would have been cheaper to recruit. (Of course, if there is a unit that is cheaper to recall than recruit, for example a horseman, I will recall even if it has no EXP.)
fog_of_gold

Re: What is the minimum amount of experience for recalling

Post by fog_of_gold »

MRDNRA wrote:that you generally tend to look for? (Sorry, couldn't fit all the question in the subject heading)
Sorry, I can't really understand your question.
I generally try to get units that have a least 8 experience as my main recall list, occasionally, I will go for units with less (for example an intelligent unit that has only 7EXP, or if i need a unit with specific traits for a certain situation). This is, however, in contrast to how I used to recall when I first started playing, when I would just recall any units I had, even if they didn't have any EXP and it would have been cheaper to recruit.[...]
Like you said, it also depends on traits. E.g. a strong Mage isn't really usefull. And I always try to recall the units with the biggest level and the biggest experience. I'm usually not able to ask myself that question. But a unit have to have at least half of the needed experience if it didn't level up already before I recall it. If the unit doesn't fit all these conditions, I usually recruit new ones to save the leveled ones.
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

fog_of_gold wrote:Sorry, I can't really understand your question.
The full question is "What is the minimum amount of experience for recalling that you generally tend to look for?"

i.e. "How much experience should a unit have before you think it's worth its recall cost?"

To me, even 0 experience is worth the recall cost if it has the traits I want. ;)
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

It heavily depends on the scenario, the campaign, and the type of unit.
Icarusvogel

Post by Icarusvogel »

And also the cost of the unit. For instance, I would never recruit a Gryphon Rider or Horseman when I have 1 on my recall list and want 1. When recalling Mages - I would always recall a mage with experience.
You are a Necromancer - Intelligent and powerful, yet reclusive and misunderstood, you dabble in dark arts that everyone else can only dream of.
fog_of_gold

Post by fog_of_gold »

Icarusvogel wrote:[...]When recalling Mages - I would always recall a mage with experience.
Not always. If this mage have got, let's say, strong and resilient and 6 exp, I wouldn't recall. There's just a chance of 12.5% to get a mage with that much weak traits (for a mage).
Lastmerlin

Post by Lastmerlin »

Hey resilient is a really nice trait for a mage in my opinion.

To the question: You should also ask yourself, if you intend to level that unit or if it is just cannon fodder. Never recruit only units that should survive, because this wont work. Cannon fodder for 20 gold is too expensive, if you can get it for 14.
Dan-the-Terrible

Post by Dan-the-Terrible »

I often recruit instead of recall, particularly early in the campaign, or in easy scenarios where i know I will have a ton of extra gold, to get a broader pool of trait combinations to choose from when recalling in later scenarios. I am constantly looking for the quick trait, particularly for units with base move five... in caves or rough terrain, six move is way faster then five. If recruiting undead, no traits apply, so there is no reason for stockpiling these "known trait" units.

I do wish the developers would give level 0 units a reduced recall cost. It bothers me that there is never any real justification for recalling a level 0 unit, they simply aren't worth the 20 gold. I did recall some of the loyal peasants when I played The South Gaurd, hoping to advance them to level 1 loyal units that would be upkeep free. But in the event, I did not succeed in leveling any of them, and wasted a lot of gold trying.

it is convenient to get units to just short of a level in a scenario, so that when next recalled they can level up at will. You can use these guys as damage sponges, then heal them back to full by feeding them a kill so they level up and refill their hit point bar.
Icarusvogel

Post by Icarusvogel »

I think the lvl 0 cost of 20 is totally justified - if the difference between lvl 4 and lvl 1 is not there, why should there be one between 0 and 1? It would also not be good if you could recall, say, a peasant with 17 out of 18 xp for 8 gold, and get a near-free spearman.
You are a Necromancer - Intelligent and powerful, yet reclusive and misunderstood, you dabble in dark arts that everyone else can only dream of.
Speedbrain

Post by Speedbrain »

Icarusvogel wrote:I think the lvl 0 cost of 20 is totally justified - if the difference between lvl 4 and lvl 1 is not there, why should there be one between 0 and 1? It would also not be good if you could recall, say, a peasant with 17 out of 18 xp for 8 gold, and get a near-free spearman.
So instead, are you going to pay 20 gold for a spearman?
Not unless he's loyal.
Ferrous

Post by Ferrous »

Dan-the-Terrible wrote: I do wish the developers would give level 0 units a reduced recall cost. It bothers me that there is never any real justification for recalling a level 0 unit, they simply aren't worth the 20 gold. I did recall some of the loyal peasants when I played The South Gaurd, hoping to advance them to level 1 loyal units that would be upkeep free. But in the event, I did not succeed in leveling any of them, and wasted a lot of gold trying.
I'll fully admit that I have a tendency to recall level 0 bats because I really really really want at least one pet doombat to fly by me as I wreck havoc and destruction. I think of it as a "familiar." That, and I'm a dork.

Personally, I have a tendency to probably over-recall. If I have an abundance of gold, I'll take advantage of the opportunity to recall as many units as I can (assuming they have at least some experience) in order to build on what they already have. However, to recall in a smarter manner I think depends on several factors:
  • How far along the campaign are you? It's of little use to recall maxed-out units late in the game unless you're on the last stage. Their XP gain is relatively useless, soaking up valuable XP points that could be better spent on lower-grade units. Early in the campaign, of course, you will have no choice to but to recruit entry-level units. My general train of thought is as follows: First mission (recruit anything and everything), early campaign (recruit and recall level 2's), middle of the campaign (recall as much as you can to get units up to level 2 and 3), end of campaign (finishing touches on your army, recruit to fill holes), last mission (pull out everything you've got).
  • How expensive would it be? Recalled units are not always cost effective. The main advantage is that they typically have at least some experience on which to build on. But how much experience? Here are a few benchmarks I find useful:
    -If you're low on cash, only those that will have to kill a unit to go up a level
    -If you have some cash, units that are roughly 50% of the way towards the next level
    -If you have a lot of cash, units that have at least 8 experience points (indicating they can at least kill a unit)
    -If you are simply overflowing with cash, anyone and everyone
  • What your enemy is using: This should be obvious, but recalling spearmen against skeleton archers really isn't gonna work very well. Recalling heavy infantry that has a significant amount of XP will serve you much better.
Elvish_Conquerer

Post by Elvish_Conquerer »

Depending on your gold, how valuable the unit is, and obviously the initial cost I'd say anywhere from half to two thirds experience. Although I rarely recall non-intelligent mages. Also don't disregard strong for mages, since a Silver mage could utilize it.

Humbly,

Elvish Conquerer
"Not only that! He made the AI so smart that, it changes the RNG without affecting statistical analysis! So even if you calculate the probability of getting what you got, it seems reasonable, even though it isn't. We've uncovered a massive conspiracy!"