Do you cheat?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Do you cheat?

No! I'm honest!
24%
Yes, I save&reload at some important moves.
52%
I save&reload almost each turn
13%
I edit savegames to add more gold
5%
I edit savegames to improve my units and/or heal them
No votes
I even edit the game sources to cheat!
3%
Other (please specify :)
3%

Total votes: 62

Asereje
Art Contributor

Do you cheat?

Post by Asereje »

It's simple, is interesting to know the percentage of players that cheat.

If you'd like to choose more than one answer, choose the answer that is the biggest cheat, or the cheat taht you commit more usually (at your opinion).
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

I voted 'No, I'm honest'... because it's closer than the other options.

I DID change the source code once to cheat, but then it doesn't count because I wasn't 'playing Wesnoth'! Cheating is not part of playing Wesnoth, and I don't spwnd much time 'cheating Wesnoth'.

Actually, sometimes I saveload at important moves, and sometimes I saveload at unimportant ones... I'm really unpredictable.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Le Gnome

Post by Le Gnome »

During my first games, I did save and reload a lot to pass through difficult scenarios.
Now, after having played many times the same scenario, I began it from the beginning trying to find a better way.
It teachs me more but is longer to achieve only the Bay of Pearls scenarios. :)

Le Gnome
Shade

I'm other. . .

Post by Shade »

I generally play on medium and don't cheat. But if I'm doing a playthrough of something I wrote I save every turn, and if I lose a 'speaking' character I go back a few turns. I think if you're just playing for fun you should try to avoid save / load playing. . .
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
yeti

Post by yeti »

I save often a load occasionally -- when I realize I messed it up around turn 20, I just start from a save before this point. I don't see much fun in playing the first 18 turns again, with the same strategy.
-std::string font_name = "Vera.ttf";
+std::string font_name = "Bepa-Roman.ttf";
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Are you implying that those are the only two ways that savefile editing can give you an advantage?
Gimli

Post by Gimli »

I do some save/reload, because some scenarios are simply too annoying to replay from scratch everytime some stupid charachter gets killed.
Also, the only way I've found to complete The Sceptre of Fire is looking in the savefile where in the hell the Sceptre is.
Mkgego

Post by Mkgego »

When i started playing Wesnoth 0.6.99.5 i always did that ^^ !!!

Nowadays I have made myself a promise...I can only rload one time per level :P ...
WoW C-Mode activated...
For the horde :D
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I'll reload when, say, a revenant with a 40% chance to hit hits every time and kills Gweddry... other than that, i'm pretty 'legal'. :)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Asereje
Art Contributor

Post by Asereje »

Dacyn wrote:
Are you implying that those are the only two ways that savefile editing can give you an advantage?
Mmm no, I'm not implying nor making any logic statement... They are only the two options that came first to my mind.

There's an "Other (plase specify)" option in the case that somebody had more imagination than me and applied it to cheat.
yeti

Post by yeti »

Gimli wrote:Also, the only way I've found to complete The Sceptre of Fire is looking in the savefile where in the hell the Sceptre is.
Hm, I normally save turn 1, and explore a different part of the map when I don't find it the first time (which happens rarely).
-std::string font_name = "Vera.ttf";
+std::string font_name = "Bepa-Roman.ttf";
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Last trip through Sceptre of Fire I got lucky. The Sceptre of Fire was after the first two leaders, but in a big cavern before the last two.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Na'enthos

Post by Na'enthos »

I edited the saved game of sceptre to 'teleport' my units close to the sceptre.. really, that is one of the most annoying scenarios in the game, and I had no intention of doing it all over just because the sceptre happened to be somewhere else (way on the other side of the map).

For the rest.. I try to refrain from save-reloading, but sometimes I can't help it. :x
lilepo2023

Post by lilepo2023 »

lol... if u need ta cheat when u play wesnoth u got some problems...
im sinning but im winning at the same time/took a couple shots from a coward tryin ta take mine/back in the hood wit a chopper an a tech nine... im doin 100 on the hi way/u doin the speed limit then get the f*ck outta my way...
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

I use debug mode for what it's supposed to do: debug. But I have edited savefiles before. I doctored a TROW file to make Edmond a Mage of Light, Sir Ruddry a Grand Knight, Haldric a Lord, and Burin a Lord. Also, I added the ability to recruit dwarves, and gave myself 5 runemasters to boot.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom