DID- A Haunting In Winter

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

shawnl13

DID- A Haunting In Winter

Post by shawnl13 »

Holy crap I can't beat this, from what I've looked at it seems you have to use ghosts, but since they just rebel.. how do you use them? How do you beat this? Thanks guys.
CheeseLord

Re: DID- A Haunting In Winter

Post by CheeseLord »

hmm...I think only the first ghost that gains xp rebels - the rest of them are normal ghosts that are obedient :wink:
Lord of Cheese.....especially Parmesan!!!
None shall stand against the Dwarfs in their homeland

Top 3 quotes by a developer:

1. Locked
2. Do it yourself
3. "No"
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Start with a single ghost and keep him in reach of your two leaders. As soon as the rebels, kill him, take bandit keep, recall/recruit more ghosts.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
silent

Post by silent »

I would say recruit almost exclusively ghosts for this scenario, maybe recall a ghoul, or if you have one, a blood bat as the bladed damage can be useful here too.

generally it takes a while for the ghost to rebel, by which case you can have the bandit leader dead, and a level ghost or 2 if lucky. a shadow and another ghost are enough to finish the rebel, as level 2 ghosts will not rebel (so if one is particularly experienced before the event, level it quickly).

Having Malin and Volk nearby is also useful, as their arcane attacks will kill it in one turn, from Volk at least, not too sure about Malin.

Oh and finally, you should also make sure when the dwarves are arriving to aid the outlaws, simple, but mentioning it anyway, don't let them get out of the swamp, you can milk them for lots of free xp for your ghosts for even more leveled ghosts
Dan-the-Terrible

Post by Dan-the-Terrible »

Yeah, I found this tough as well. I could clear the caves but not within the time limit. There are few key tips I found helpful.

1) The rebelling ghost event only occurs once. Once you have put down the rebel you can recruit more ghosts freely with no concern they will rebel.

2) While ghouls are nasty and walking corpses are cheap, they are both too slow to complete the scenario within the time limit. You must recruit plenty of ghosts, otherwise you will always find yourself running out of time.

3) There is an area in the northwest corner of the map with 5 unowned villages the computer players ignore. Get a bat there early and claim the villages, this will give you an important boost to gold so you can recruit more reinforcements.

4) Unfortunately, it is not really enough to just defeat the scenario. The next scenario is even harder. You need to carry over a good gold bonus and have at least a couple of level 2 units to recall in Beginning of the Revenge.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I actually advise starting with more ghosts and focusing on leveling ghosts. If you can get a wraith and a shadow it becomes so much easier to beat this level in the time limit. Keep your leaders close to your ghost army to immediately destroy the rebel when he occurs.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
CMaster

Post by CMaster »

To adress your problem, the most important thing to do is to keep your units together. By doing so, you ensure, that enough troops are near the rebel to finish him off. The worst case would be, if you send a single ghost to grab those vilages and he rebels, because by the time you get to him, half your army will have turned against you. Once you have a rebel, do anything(!) to get him down quickly, it doesn't matter if you loose a ghost or two to kill the rebel, if the alternative would be that he lives a turn longer (one ghost less for you, one ghost more for him which you need to kill as well).

Apart from that: I find, that it is best to start this scenario with only ghosts and to try to avoid losses. I never recruit more than I can right at the start, since you will want all the money you can get on the next scenario.
I'm a reciever!
shawnl13

Post by shawnl13 »

Thanks everybody I beat it pretty easy when I found out only one ghost rebels trying to get through the swamp got me raped before hand lol
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Post by StandYourGround »

Also, it works very well to recruit at least three bats, and use them to village-snitch. They will distract the outlaws very easily, allowing you to ambush them with ghosts. Best of all, the bats can retreat out of all enemy reach in a single turn. Also, look up in the North just to the left of the entrance to the swamp. There's a little branch off tunnel that leads to 4 villages. Take 'em all with the bats, and you'll have an easy spot to retreat to, and extra income for recruiting more ghosts in the outlaw keep.
I will now resume lurking silently.
peet

Post by peet »

One thing I noticed is that the ghost that rebels first is always the one that is furthest to the left, and if two are in the same column the one at the top is the one that rebels. So keep that ghost close to your necromancer guy (can't remember the guy's name) and your own character, with another ghost close by, and you should be able to swat him down the moment he rebels.

Try to level up your other ghost - you probably want to have more than one, actually (not counting the rebel). If you level him up into a shadow, you will be able to slip him by the dwarves before they block the mouth of the cave leading to the swampy area; otherwise if they do that you may run out of time trying to get past them.

Also, I would definitely recall one of your loyal ghouls from the last scenario (maybe more). Loyal units are cheap units, and the dwarves are pretty tough but have no healing so poison will be useful against them.

In the first round I always recall my loyal ghouls and then summon some bats, and in the second round I summon some ghosts. I also might recall a soulless in the first round if I have one from before since later on it can be useful to have zombie dwarves (because of their cave movetype). If you do that be sure to send the soulless north right away as he is too slow and cannot waste time dealing with the bandits.

Peet
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Just for the record, I just beat this scenario on the easiest difficulty by recruiting only WC's. I had the three ghouls (leveled two of them during the scenario) and a couple of soullesses to recall. I needed two attempts, since the main problem is reaching the dwarf leader before turns run out - I killed him on the last turn on my second attempt.

So, with that in mind, I doubt it's impossible...of course it does more or less require you to know the map layout beforehand.