Hero basics

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SarimRune

Hero basics

Post by SarimRune »

Hello.

Just curious if anybody had some basic suggestions concerning your Hero.

What I mean is, when playing a typical scenario, is it better to get your hero out into the action (to lvl them up), or hold them back so as to create more troops?

Thoughts?
Lu Mong
Location: Somewhere near:/ (Well... not exactly... some bloody Czech Republic...)

Re: Hero basics

Post by Lu Mong »

I think it really depends on personal preference. I tend to stay in the castle in most maps with fog of war. On the other hand, if I see my opponents I recruit what I think is enough to defeat them and then charge my hero into the fray.
Darkness beyond twilight,
More crimson than the blood that flows,
Lost in the depths of time,
I call upon thy name!
Ferrous

Post by Ferrous »

I like to send out my hero in the second or third wave in a campaign mission - with enough units out in front so I know I can beat the mission and don't have to recruit more (or rely on my hero(es)), but open up chances for my hero to gain XP.

Once my hero has reached top level, I almost always keep him/her in my castle to let other units gain XP. I typically only recall top tier units in desperate situations or if it's the last campaign mission for similar reasons.
batoonike

Post by batoonike »

Basicly in multiplayer, if there are only the 2 starting keeps on the map, I would stay most of the time somewhere between the main battle and my keep, so that it looks scary and the hero can rush in if neccessary or get to keep in 1 turn. That in case your hero happens to be something useful, like a healer or leadership dude or something that deals damage and doesnt die easily, like a troll.

That doesnt apply if youre doing some meaningful strategy or theres more keeps on the map than just two.

Always try to utilize the hero if the battle comes close to your keep.

I wouldnt give any XP to my hero in a typical 1vs1 game though.
styles1005

Post by styles1005 »

I typically leave my hero in the castle in a normal game, but in a campaign, where leveling your hero will improve your chances later, I will wait until the battle is well in hand then send him out. Also if the scenario has no time limit, try to find a good defensive position with healing, team the hero with others, and give him the killing blows as enemies attack you. I first tried these strategies in the campaign Dead Water and I would be able to bash through masses of enemies with a team of level 3 heroes.
*has nothing else to say*

Necromancy most foul! - Doc Paterson

All hail my new campaign, Lords of the North! Now on the add-ons server!
Chris7mas

Post by Chris7mas »

I think usually you have to find a balance between getting him out and recruiting. Usually, this also depends on the hero's hitpoints, movement points, and eventually time of day (I wouldn't leave a Drake lvl2 with leadership in the keep during the day). However, if your leader is frail, like a mage or healer, it's better to keep him always behind your troops, and on good defense.

On small maps, a leader really can make the difference if he is out on the battlefield, and can be more useful than if it stands in the keep, recruits 1-2 units, while on the front his army is getting slaughtered just because of a small troops advantage. However, it's good to retreat him at the opportune moment (just in time to recruit more units).
Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air...
TuxArena - Linux news, tutorials, articles & reviews
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

I would say that you should, in multiplayer, use your leader as much as possible without taking unnecessary risks or negatively impacting your recruiting. How much is that? Depends on the map and situation.

In campaigns, you generally want to do some recruiting, and then move out. Getting your leader to max level will make later scenarios in most campaigns easier, and your leader in many campaigns has leadership, which helps a lot. Use your leader to help feed experience to other units once he hits max level. Just remember that he's a non-expendable free level 3.