Can we make drakes stronger?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

rykus

Can we make drakes stronger?

Post by rykus »

I was wondering if we could maybe beef up the drakes a bit. I was just playing a drake-based campaign and fully realizing how weak they are, opposed to my expectations.

Since they're pretty expensive, I'd expect them to take a bit more beating than they do. Also, their terrain defense isn't that great, and they seem to take far more damage than they inflict.

Or maybe it's just me... I really enjoy the Drakes, but I keep getting spanked when I use them. Anyone else faring better than I am? Or have any suggestions to make them a bit more durable?
pauxlo

Re: Can we make drakes stronger?

Post by pauxlo »

The usual anwer is: The factions are balanced for multiplayer, and are considered quite balanced now. If you think some inbalance exists, post a replay - better with you on the winning side against drakes.

If in some campaign they are too weak, post in the campaign feedback thread about this (with details, too). Campaigns have quite some possibilities to balance apart from changing unit stats.

There are some discussions about drake strategy in the "strategies and tips" forum, too - most is for multiplayer, but some of it may be applicable on campaigns too. Other than this, you can create a new thread there asking for feedback on your replay.

Generally about drakes: try to use your mobility, this is quite more important than your standing power.
rykus

Post by rykus »

Thanks, I'll look into those! I saw someone mentioned using the Leadership ability, so I'll see if I can't play that into my strategy a bit more and see if I get better results.

My problem usually arises when I get stuck trying to kill off one or two enemies, which takes about 8 or so drakes, and they all end up losing about half their health. Then the rest of the army catches up and smashes what I have left.

I was just thinking it would be cool for some units to have a "hit and run" style ability, so they can move afterwards. There are some weak units with great mobility but I rarely get a chance to use them because even if they pick off a weak enemy, it puts them in range of 3 others. I'll have to look through and see if this has been suggested anywhere.

I guess also I was expecting more standing power from the drakes because, well, they're dragons (little ones, though). So when their typical terrain defense is only 30%, I tend to get cut down extremely quickly.

I think Drakes have less healing than the other factions, too, don't they? Undead have drain, Elves and Humans have healers, Dwarves have the "healthy" ability (or something like that), and Trolls regen.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Drakes are pretty tough they just can't dodge to save their lives.

If they are supported by saurian auxilleries (like in multiplayer) drakes have plenty of healing.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
ScipioAfricanus

Post by ScipioAfricanus »

Oddly enough, this topic come up just days after one saying that drakes are overpowered... :shock:
rykus

Post by rykus »

haha, yeah, I suppose you'll always have people seeing it both ways. I forgot about the Saurians! So I guess there is healing - my bad.
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

rykus wrote:My problem usually arises when I get stuck trying to kill off one or two enemies, which takes about 8 or so drakes, and they all end up losing about half their health.
I strongly suspect you're doing something wrong. Are you attacking a chaotic faction at night with lawful units? You shouldn't need four drakes to kill most enemy units, and they certainly shouldn't take half their health in retaliation. The exception to this is attacking Loyalists during the day, in which case you should be fighting at night.

Drakes do hit-and-run. They hit during the time of day they want, where they want, then run when the ToD changes, etc. :)

Also, I laughed when I saw this thread because two threads below it was this thread, in which someone complains the Drakes are terribly overpowered and asks the devs to nerf them :lol2:
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

You should also have both ranged and melee drakes - attacking enemies with whichever attack-type they're bad at should significantly decrease how much retaliation damage you take.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

Does anybody else find it humorous we have "Can we make drakes stronger" and "Overpowered faction" which is also referencing drake on the same page?
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

joshudson wrote:Does anybody else find it humorous we have "Can we make drakes stronger" and "Overpowered faction" which is also referencing drake on the same page?
Yes, which is why they pointed that out four posts ago. :P
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
Sorrow

Post by Sorrow »

Download cackfiend's replays if you want to see how to play drakes well:

http://ladder.subversiva.org/profile.php?name=Cackfiend
Let us all measure in milliyards, that way we can all get along.

Replay Archive: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Replays