Saved game for Rise of Wesnoth?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

RISCOSnoth

Saved game for Rise of Wesnoth?

Post by RISCOSnoth »

Could anybody send me a saved game for the Rise of Wenoth? I've probaby been back at least a couple dozen times and can't get past the final level. I think I have around 700gold, 5 L3 or 4 mages, 4 grand knights, two level 3 iron maulers and a few other level 2s and 3s.

Failing that, is it wrong to concentrate on horsemen and mages. Should I be concentrating on the other units?

I've tried it on 1.4, and 1.6 on Windows.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: Saved game for Rise of Wesnoth?

Post by Velensk »

By my standards that looks like a very large amount of gold and a very small amount of leveled units.

Mages and horsemen are fine (having 3-4 healers is very important), but you will want a large quantity of melee tanks, especially those who can hold rough terrain. It looks to me like you have not been doing a great job of bringing in enough fresh meat over the course of the campaign or keeping your units alive (I notice that you're missing one of the loyal iron maulers and Burin).

Royal Guards, Halberdiers, Highwaymen, Fugitives, Iron Maulers, and Great Knights all make fine tanks, but you need more of them than you have if you want to hold the line (not only do you need enough to put up a front but enough that you can cycle them around for healing). It is these units that make this scenario much easier if you can field enough of them. Their level two forms also work but by this point in the campaign you should be able to field over a dozen level three tanks and the healers to support them. Other units such as silver/great mages, high level archers, and assassins all have their uses but in experience per use I generally find that tanks and healers are most efficient. Also I would be sure to keep all my loyal units alive because using those will save on a large amount of gold over the course of the campaign. (the exception being trappers who level very easily and can fight the orcs in the forest)

EDIT: I had a save but it's too old for you to use.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
RISCOSnoth

Post by RISCOSnoth »

I did have Burin, the third iron mauler got sacrificed by the Dragon which seemed a good compromise considering how much I usually lose on that level. I'm not sure what halberdiers are but when are these units supposed to be picked up? I've found I get slaughtered on most of the first 3 levels. I've tended to focus entirely on fugitives, horseman and mages as the other units didn't appear particularly effective against orcs or undead which is what you're up against most the time.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Halberdiers are lvl 3 spearmen who go the pikemen route. They are very tough and their bladed attack makes it so that they are not bad against undead. These and royal guards are the most generally strong units. Even if they are not especially good against undead or orcs they are good at holding the line against about anything and will hit back hard. Highwaymen are level 3 bandits who make a very strong wall against chaotic factions at night.

However the biggest thing is that you need more leveled units. In order to do this you need to keep recruiting more level 1 units.

Generally I wouldn't even use the iron maulers against the dragon. They are vulnerable to saurian magic and would have major mobility problems while in the swamp. I tend to just soak up the saurian attacks with cannon fodder then use the effects of leadership against saurians in the open to clean them up.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
RISCOSnoth

Post by RISCOSnoth »

I got to the Kalian levels with around 7 halberdiers but then started to come unstuck. Would you recommend a mixture of high level units e.g. highway men and halberdiers for the whole campaign or something more complicated?
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Well personally I'd have gotten a few more Royal guards rather than halberdiers (they get blade/impact resistance rather than pierce which I find to be slightly more useful much of the time), however reguardless of what level 3 units you have you will need more of them.

For the final level I'd think that you'd need somewhere in the area of
12+ lvl3 melee tanks (Royal Guard, Halaberdier, Highwaymen, Great Knights, Burin, Iron Maulers)
2-4 whitemage/mage of light
a few level 3+ mages or archers
16+ level 2 units hopefully including some knights or lancers.

EDIT: now admittedly this is modled of my experiance where I came into the fight with something like this many then I couldn't afford to bring them all onto the feild, so...
friar tuck

Post by friar tuck »

Velensk wrote:By my standards that looks like a very large amount of gold and a very small amount of leveled units..
It's ages since I last played this campaign, but I distinctly remember having a lot of gold and even less high-level units.

I put mostly cannon fodder in the forest (and maybe some healers) and sent two parties of heroes west (to go after the orc leaders) and east (to finally reach the lich).

These parties were not very large and mostly tried to keep out of sight, while in the forest there definitively were no high-level tanks.

I can't give any precise numbers, unfortunaltely.
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

I have recently completed "The Rise of Wesnoth" in medium using Wesnoth 1.8.1.This is the only hard campaign I have played and my favorite so far.I'm posting replays of some difficult scenarios,in case some newbies are interested (as I'm by no means a great player,my strategies often vary a lot compared to the walkthroughs).
Attachments
TRoW-Rough_Landing_replay.gz
(40.88 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
TRoW-Return_of_the_Fleet_replay.gz
(54.35 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
TRoW-Lizard_Beach_replay.gz
(44 KiB) Downloaded 246 times
TRoW-Clearwater_Port_replay.gz
This was the trickiest.Only solution is to let the allies commit suicide moves at first,meanwhile position your troops on favourable terrain and then force the enemies on frozen ground and charge them down.You also have to hold your position at the northmost village till the enemy is forced to withdraw.
(54.99 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
TRoW-A_Final_Spring_replay.gz
(52.5 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
Last edited by chak_abhi on August 8th, 2010, 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

Some more replays of TRoW.
Attachments
TRoW-Troll_Hole.gz
(20.47 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
TRoW-The_Vanguard_replay.gz
(44.59 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
TRoW-The_Rise_of_Wesnoth_replay.gz
(82.02 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
TRoW-The_Dragon_replay.gz
(48.7 KiB) Downloaded 258 times
TRoW-Sewer_of_Southbay_replay.gz
This level needs fire mages(red,arch,silver,great) which I lacked.So I used melee tanks(Royal guards,Paladin,Grand Knight) and white mages.
(32.66 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
RISCOSnoth

Post by RISCOSnoth »

Thanks for the final level save - I finally managed to complete it with enough level 3 units!