I learnt the importance of retreating

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

tuahaa

I learnt the importance of retreating

Post by tuahaa »

after losing several of my hardest games, I tried a different/smarter strategy: go defensive when you can't win at the time! Many people have said that to me, yet I've never followed it. This time I did and I was successful!

PS. I play drakes, the match was against undead
5dPZ

Re: I learnt the importance of retreating

Post by 5dPZ »

tuahaa wrote:after losing several of my hardest games, I tried a different/smarter strategy: go defensive when you can't win at the time! Many people have said that to me, yet I've never followed it. This time I did and I was successful!

PS. I play drakes, the match was against undead
Yeah, retreating is important for all factions, but most important for drakes, since they are bad at holding ground.
Tonepoet

Post by Tonepoet »

Great! Now if you could only relay this information to other such relatively new people, we'd suddenly have a renaissance of actually decent players! ^_^ >_> Yeah... Also, does this mean you've actually played something other than Isar's Cross finally? It's rather hard to retreat on that map as some sort of engagement is almost virtually required by the relatively close quarters. I'd personally suggest retreating into defensive positioning every time it's feasible after you gain a tangible advantage, so that you don't lose it shortly thereafter.

I'd go into more detail but there's just not that much more to input on without specifics. What sort of scenarios have you learnt to retreat in? Have you anything that's a bit more descriptive than what's above?
Htonsew Rof Elttab Eht is just too cool for school. I've got no words to describe it. Have any of you guys tried it? ;-)
terrorbot276

Post by terrorbot276 »

Speaking of that, I'm stuck on Heir to the Throne, on Mage Isle. I tried sneaking up to the right, defending, or slowly advancing. Konrad dies after 20-30 turns.

Suggestion?
Radament

Post by Radament »

terrorbot276 wrote:Speaking of that, I'm stuck on Heir to the Throne, on Mage Isle. I tried sneaking up to the right, defending, or slowly advancing. Konrad dies after 20-30 turns.

Suggestion?
Speaking of that, I'm stuck on Heir to the Throne, on Mage Isle. I tried sneaking up to the right, defending, or slowly advancing. Konrad dies after 20-30 turns.

Suggestion?
My suggestion would be to search or open a new thread instead of hijacking this one :wink:
Aelaris

Post by Aelaris »

Retreating is probably my most effective tactic.

Wesnoth makes it easy for people: most of the time you can just look at the time of day, and if it favors you, press conflict, and if it does not, avoid conflict.

Partly because of the day-night swing, retreating is very important. If my enemy is lawful and I am chaotic, I will incur horrible losses if I stick around during the day, and even if we match alignment, if I am in a weak situation, that's still a 25% increase to killing my units, rather than them surviving until back-up arrives.

Additionally, increased attack power always demands the initiative when the defender cannot hit back (no ranged, etc.), since the attacker chooses the attack type. (This is how skeletons are my anti-mage tech. During the night they hit hard in a way mages can't manage, and don't let the mage do ranged at all. During the day, they hope all the mages are dead, and run away.)

Obviously, some units have defensive bonuses in terrain that can override this. Elves in forests, and Dwarves in Mountains spring to mind. This is one of my problems with the HttT campaign - it causes beginners to go rebel, and teaches them to grind apart units attacking them while they are in a forest, rather than the flowing strategy of, say, Drakes or the Undead or even the Northerners. Push and give should be taught at the start.
"Let's all agree that Konrad simply represents 'Konrad and his female ninja bodyguards'." - Gambit, explaining how a character could also be a battalion.
terrorbot276

Post by terrorbot276 »

Great, thanks. And, I tried to find the most suitable thread.
There are 11 types of people in the world: those who know binary and those who don't.
You just lost the game.
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

This thread isn't at all related to your question. If you can't find one that is related, why not post a new one? :)
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Already solved, Caphriel ;)

Also, about retreating--agreed. One of the least fun things in the game is to be stuck w/ a teammate that doesn't get the idea of falling back.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Josh327

Post by Josh327 »

If i have enough men i often in stead of retreating bash my way to a defensible spot forward of me during the dusk if im lawful it can overextend me though