How am I going?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Calza

How am I going?

Post by Calza »

Hi! I'm a new Wesnoth player and I think the game is amazing and challenging. However I find quite difficult to evaluate how a campaign is going, since I don't have a mean to know the challenges of the next scenarios.

Now I'm playing "The Valley of Death" and I can recall the following levelled units: 1 elvish shyde, 1 light mage, 2 white mages, 1 red mage, 1 elvish avenger, 2 elvish marksmen, 1 knight. Is that good enough or should I replay some previous scenarios?

More in general, how can I evaluate the goodness of my efforts in a campaign? Thanks in advance.
TheGreatRings

Re: How am I going?

Post by TheGreatRings »

Calza wrote:Hi! I'm a new Wesnoth player and I think the game is amazing and challenging. However I find quite difficult to evaluate how a campaign is going, since I don't have a mean to know the challenges of the next scenarios.

Now I'm playing "The Valley of Death" and I can recall the following levelled units: 1 elvish shyde, 1 light mage, 2 white mages, 1 red mage, 1 elvish avenger, 2 elvish marksmen, 1 knight. Is that good enough or should I replay some previous scenarios?

More in general, how can I evaluate the goodness of my efforts in a campaign? Thanks in advance.
This is the HttT scenario with the three Lichs, right?

In that case, its not a great recall list, but its not a terrible one. However, I can't say what your chances of beating it are without knowing how much gold you have.

My advice:
Spoiler:
And frankly, if you've only got one leveled knight, you might want to focus on leveling some more. Also, try to level some melee fighters. I would personally be worried about not having leveled some elvish captains in this campaign.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Calza

Post by Calza »

Yes, it's the scenario of HttT with the three liches and I have 322 gold. I suspected I should focus on some more melee units, but I hate to replay previous scenarios, so I'm hoping to develop some going further in the campaign :) Is this a mistake which will lead me to replay more scenarios or can I try that?
usr-sbin

Post by usr-sbin »

Hello and welcome to the forums. I believe that it is entirely possible to keep the important characters in the middle of the castle and just recruit level ones all around and stay in the castle for the whole scenario. I will test it out later and post a replay if you want.
Continuing Siege of Soradoc
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

If you can post a save of your game at the start of the level I believe I could turn it into a replay of the level. I'm not sure I could take out all the liches but I think that I could get through the level without significant loss and the next one is an easy one anyway.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Calza

Post by Calza »

Velensk wrote:If you can post a save of your game at the start of the level I believe I could turn it into a replay of the level. I'm not sure I could take out all the liches but I think that I could get through the level without significant loss and the next one is an easy one anyway.
I didn't say I can't beat the scenario, I never tried it! :-) I was just trying to figure out if my path through the first campaign of Wesnoth is going well or not. However I thank you for your kindness ;-)
Kalajel

Post by Kalajel »

usr-sbin wrote:Hello and welcome to the forums. I believe that it is entirely possible to keep the important characters in the middle of the castle and just recruit level ones all around and stay in the castle for the whole scenario. I will test it out later and post a replay if you want.
Hmm, I should try that, so far I keep getting my ass handed to me on that scenario…
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Moved from Users' Forum.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
silent

Post by silent »

Given where you are at, more melee units would be useful, but your magic/ranged units are very impressive.

There are some holywater bottles here in this scenario, which would allow you to level 2 horseman who go to get them.

You will need to level a few elven fighters too, but you should only need to make one a captain at most, given how far you are and the sort of scenarios you will soon encounter

looking through your recall list however, a few questions
1. I presume you still have your mermen, hopefully one with storm trident? and the initiate or leveled form of it?
2. In the crossroads scenario, there were 2 elves who appear to tell you the hills are not safe. both were loyal, one was a fighter. What happened to them? because you may wish to make that loyal fighter a captain.
3. After the bay of pearls, did you choose to go to elensefar via land (muff malal's peninsula) or sea (Isle of the damned)?

if you can get through the next few scenarios with few losses, you may however, become fine in regards to your melee problem.
Calza

Post by Calza »

silent wrote:Given where you are at, more melee units would be useful, but your magic/ranged units are very impressive.

There are some holywater bottles here in this scenario, which would allow you to level 2 horseman who go to get them.

You will need to level a few elven fighters too, but you should only need to make one a captain at most, given how far you are and the sort of scenarios you will soon encounter

looking through your recall list however, a few questions
1. I presume you still have your mermen, hopefully one with storm trident? and the initiate or leveled form of it?
Yes, I have some level 2 mermen, comprehending the one with the storm trident!
2. In the crossroads scenario, there were 2 elves who appear to tell you the hills are not safe. both were loyal, one was a fighter. What happened to them? because you may wish to make that loyal fighter a captain.
Ehr, they died... Now I'm regretting the lack of importance I gave to the 'loyal' trait!
3. After the bay of pearls, did you choose to go to elensefar via land (muff malal's peninsula) or sea (Isle of the damned)?
Via Land.
if you can get through the next few scenarios with few losses, you may however, become fine in regards to your melee problem.
I already replayed the previous scenario, now my recall list has fewer ranged units (1 white mage, 1 light mage, 1 shyde, 2 marksmen) but more melee units (2 knights, 2 avengers, 1 hero). I think that's a more balanced choice.
Calza

Post by Calza »

I finally defeated the HttT campaign! Normal difficulty, it was challenging, but not frustrating. I think the most difficult scenario was "The swamp of dread"... However, just a little question: wouldn't be a good idea to implement some form of "achievement" for the completed campaigns? Something as a tick on the cleared ones or something more complex, which takes in account many factors and gives a judgement on the ability of the player...

p.s. Which difficulty level should I try for "A tale of two brothers"?
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Your achievement suggestion has been implemented in the dev version already: I very much like it :). As for a 'campaign grade', that has not been implemented, but it is an interesting idea for the future.

I would recommend trying the more difficult setting for AToTB, and some others. Some day come back to HttT and complete it on hard, now that you know what to expect, and what types of units to level for the future.

Congrats!