Elvish Archer or Elvish Fighter?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ParadiseCity

Re: Elvish Archer or Elvish Fighter?

Post by ParadiseCity »

In answer to the first question, I would say that I favor the fighter, through not because he is better than the archer. I generally tend to recruit in such a way that I will have some nice offensive units (normally archers or mages) protected by an equal number of defensive "tank" type units (in this case, fighter or wose). Since the fighter is much more versatile than the wose, i will normally choose him to make up the majority of my defense for the mages and archers. However, mages and archers (in my opinion) hold about the same worth, so i recruit equal numbers of them. Statistically shown:

50% defense
-10% Wose
-40% Fighter
50% offense
-25% Archer
-25% Mage

So by no fault of the archer, I recruit less of it than a fighter.

In answering the second question, I would lean towards the captain and marksman for reasons previously stated.

Good luck in your playing of Rebels!
"The harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." -Thomas Jefferson
usr-sbin

Post by usr-sbin »

Is there ever a point when you would choose a wose over a fighter?, although they have more health they move a lot slower and their resistances aren't as good as a fighters.
Continuing Siege of Soradoc
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

usr-sbin wrote:Is there ever a point when you would choose a wose over a fighter?, although they have more health they move a lot slower and their resistances aren't as good as a fighters.
They are a very important unit when you are fighting undead. They are also useful to a certain extent vs Loys (because they are often played pierce-heavy), but only if you don't face too many mages. Also many Loyalist players use cavalry extensively and due to the woses and cavalries resistances, that is not favourable either. They are indeed next to useless vs Drakes and you will hardly see them against Northerners as well.

Against undead, it's a little like Loys recruiting heavy infantry. There is almost no way around it when the undead player is heavy on skeletons, especially skeleton archers (mages are an alternative, but they have their own problems).
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

The wose is significantly better against the undead than the heavy infantryman. Regeneration makes it much less vulnerable to poison, and it lacks the cold weakness that lets dark adepts make mincemeat out of HI. Wose can be a great help against the Loyalists if you are forced to fight during the day, especially if they have insufficient mages. Cavalry soft counter them but won't kill them quite as fast.

They're also useful in a rebel mirror match if the other player is using a lot of archers, but not tremendously so. The Knalgan faction's best answer to the Wose is backstab, but if it can be protected from that, a wose can help anchor a line.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

To the original question:
I don't understand how you can choose one over the other or even compare them- they are totally different units, for different purposes. You need both to have a balanced and strong force. It's not the same as choosing one faction over another. If I'm just nuts and I'm completely wrong here or I totally misinterpreted the question or something, someone please yell at me. :wink:

About the wose vs. fighter thing:
That's a little harder. The units have differing strengths and weaknesses, but they are both primarily melee fighter units. Personally, if I could only have one or the other, I would choose the fighter, because it is more versatile. (and I can't use woses properly- I always tend to do something stupid with them and get them obliterated by some unit with fire or blade.)
Elvish_Conquerer

Post by Elvish_Conquerer »

Fighters should be the bulk of your force, with archers to get the shots on non ranged units. You should always keep both but i would say 1 archer for every 3 fighters, if you really love them. But best to have more fighters. and of course you need shamans for healing, but definitely fighters.
"Not only that! He made the AI so smart that, it changes the RNG without affecting statistical analysis! So even if you calculate the probability of getting what you got, it seems reasonable, even though it isn't. We've uncovered a massive conspiracy!"
sLaughter

Post by sLaughter »

usr-sbin wrote:Is there ever a point when you would choose a wose over a fighter?, although they have more health they move a lot slower and their resistances aren't as good as a fighters.
I'm new to the game myself, but my impression is that the game doesn't work this way.

Much of the unit "roles" in the game are arbitrary. You can see this by the fact that you have to change all of your paradigms if you change from fighting Northerners to fighting Undead. Thus, you can never have a blanket answer to "why would I choose wose over fighter" or vice versa without some context: Who are you fighting? What is he recruiting heavily?

Of course, it's a gross oversimplification to say that what you choose depends *entirely* on what the enemy has, but being able to play the resistance game is a pretty big deal.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

sLaughter wrote:Much of the unit "roles" in the game are arbitrary. You can see this by the fact that you have to change all of your paradigms if you change from fighting Northerners to fighting Undead. Thus, you can never have a blanket answer to "why would I choose wose over fighter" or vice versa without some context: Who are you fighting? What is he recruiting heavily?
Very wise words for someone who is "new to the game". :)
styles1005

Post by styles1005 »

For my initial recruit, I'd say archers. A lot of fast-moving units (e.g. scouts) are weak against pierce, and taking out enemy scouts early on should give you an economic advantage (and informational as well in a game with shroud on.) In addition, more units have only melee attacks than only ranged, so going ranged-heavy is (IMHO) a good move unless your opponent does the same. But then I've never played a multiplayer game, this is just what works for me against the computer.
*has nothing else to say*

Necromancy most foul! - Doc Paterson

All hail my new campaign, Lords of the North! Now on the add-ons server!
Elvish Scientist

Post by Elvish Scientist »

Argument when choosing how to level you elves:

Captain:
- if you have al lot of lvl1 around (often)
- intelligent / quick fighters: can more early/easily assist lvl1 colleagues

Hero:
- for strong fighters: as strong hero is somebody to fear
- if you need a strong defence, e.g. against northeners
- if you have enough Captains or are running out of lvl1's (happens against AI with 60% setting)

Marksmen:
- dextrous archers
- when facing high defence units: e.g. trolls in the mountains

Rangers:
- strong archers
- when in need of melee units (when running out of fighters protecting your army)
- when fighting drakes (marksmen die more easily, and marksmanship is no advantage)