Do you use Lancers?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Do you ever use the Lancer unit?

Yes, man, Lancers rock!
22%
When I have fancy.
35%
Only as scouts.
2%
Only in very short campaigns (like A Tale Of Two Brothers).
4%
No, only a fool would use them!
17%
No, but with after-max-level advancement I may give them a try.
20%

Total votes: 46

Bandobras

Do you use Lancers?

Post by Bandobras »

Hi! My very first poll ever! :oops:

Horsemen can advance to Knights or Lancers. Lancers are pretty fast but they have not much HP and can advance no further --- not 3rd level unit there. Am I right they are complete loosers? :?

Currently I'm playing with the after-max-level advancement in the simplest and weakest form: every highest level unit receives 5HP per 100XP. This puts Lancers in a new light. I've just found the after-max-level advancement changes my strategy a lot: I fight with Delfador, instead of using him as a scout, etc. Just now I consider using Lancers --- the extra HP every now and then could make them sensible. What do you think?

Note, that this poll is *not* lobbying for the 3rd level unit for Lancers, not for higher HP. I like the trade-offs offered by 2nd level only units. However, I wonder whether currently the trade-offs are fair and if after-max-level advancement could make the choices real.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Re: Do you use Lancers?

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Bandobras wrote:Horsemen can advance to Knights or Lancers. Lancers are pretty fast but they have not much HP and can advance no further --- not 3rd level unit there. Am I right they are complete loosers? :?
Wrong! Check the math:

Grand Knight Charge Attack: 17*2*2=68 damage max.
Lancer Charge Attack: 12*3*2=72 damage max.

See how it's better than the Level 3 in a direct comparison? (yes, I know the Grand Knight has loads of other advantages, but still...) And, there are other factors. Strong. Leadership. Daytime. All advantage Lancers more than Grand Knights.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Bandobras

Re: Do you use Lancers?

Post by Bandobras »

Elvish Pillager wrote: Wrong! Check the math:

Grand Knight Charge Attack: 17*2*2=68 damage max.
Lancer Charge Attack: 12*3*2=72 damage max.
Yeah. But consider that the first attack of a Grand Knight is 17*2 = 34 (even that of a Paladin is 15*2 = 30 and of a Knight is 14*2 = 28 ) and is greater than the first attack of a Lancer, which is 12*2 = 24. So the Grand Knight may kill some opponents outright or at most after the first retaliation, while Lancer has to receive two (doubled!) retaliations before delivering his full charge. At this point, with his lousy HP, Lancer may already be dead.

However your leadership point is valid --- I didn't think about that.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Lancers are a very cool unit, but difficult to play with properly, due to their fragile nature.

Personally, I use them along with Elvish Riders to create a nasty rapid attack force - the Elvish Riders soften up anything too strong for the Lancer to kill in two hits, then the Lancer charges in and wipes the unfortunate unit out. Very few enemy scouts or lone units can survive this combination.

I've briefly toyed with creating graphics for a "Royal Lancer", but as I believe Dave wants the Lancer branch to end at Level 2, I'm not sure it's worthwhile. I was considering giving it leadership, as it would be able to provide leadership anywhere on the battlefield with its fast leadership.

[edit: Whoops, got a bit ahead of myself there]
Last edited by Sangel on August 25th, 2004, 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Elvish_Pillager

Sangel wrote:Lancers aren't quite so useful, though their Leadership can prove handy
Lancers have no Leadership.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Circon

Post by Circon »

I think he means that Lancers can be affected by leadership, while GKs and Paladins can not.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Ambivalent pronouns.... :roll:
Elvish_Pillager

Sangel wrote:they can provide instead leadership
Assuming 'instead' is a typo, (instant?) it looks like Sangel is saying they can provide leadership, thus implying that they have it.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Assuming 'instead' is a typo
Actually, I think the words 'provide' and 'instead' have been accidentally transposed.
Elvish_Pillager

Dacyn wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote:Assuming 'instead' is a typo
Actually, I think the words 'provide' and 'instead' have been accidentally transposed.
Yes, that makes a lot of sense. Sangel could even have meant them as they are, in the way they would more obviously mean if they were switched.
Last edited by Elvish_Pillager on August 25th, 2004, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bandobras

Post by Bandobras »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Yes, that makes a lot of sense. Sangel could even have meant them ass they are, [...]
I don't believe Sangel could have called them so. Some mean people might be calling Lancers names, like Pony-Riders, or even worse, but we all know the Sangel's respect for the valiant cavaliers.
:lol:
Elvish_Pillager

Bandobras wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote:Yes, that makes a lot of sense. Sangel could even have meant them ass they are, [...]
I don't believe Sangel could have called them so. Some mean people might be calling Lancers names, like Pony-Riders, or even worse, but we all know the Sangel's respect for the valiant cavaliers.
:lol:
That would be donkey-riders, you fool! :lol:

Making fun of typos is NOT on topic, though, funny though it may be. Edited.
Na'enthos

Post by Na'enthos »

Lancers rock! Especially on occasions where you need a fast hard-hitting unit.. as in Test of the Clans. That's the scenario that truly proved their worth to me.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

I use them as suicide bombers, mainly for killing leaders and other important units like healers or leaders. But I don't really use them that much.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom