Why it is difficult to be good at Wesnoth

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Caphriel

Re: Why it is difficult to be good at Wesnoth

Post by Caphriel »

It's worth noting that even if you already lost the game, if it's not an overwhelming defeat, it's worth sticking it out because your opponent might make a mistake or two to even it out... like, say, pressing the attack at the wrong time of day because they're trying to finish up a 'won' game :wink:

If you lose, and your opponent is willing to take the time, asking them when they felt like they were winning, and why, can be a worthwhile endeavor, since not everyone has an equally-skilled friend to play against who they can count on to help them out. It never hurts to ask; the worst that can happen is your opponent will call you a noob and leave, right?

usr-sbin

Post by usr-sbin »

I'm new and i find it hard to find a good move too make quickly and also I feel under pressure to finish the turn quickly incase the other player moans at me.
Continuing Siege of Soradoc

Killer595

Post by Killer595 »

just slow down and take your time. a good wesnoth player will be playing his gameboy and watching tv at the same time, so there's no rush. :wink:
if a good move is made for bad reasons, is it still a good move?

Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

usr-sbin wrote:I'm new and i find it hard to find a good move too make quickly and also I feel under pressure to finish the turn quickly incase the other player moans at me.
While you shouldn't take forever on a turn, don't let another player rush you either. Take your time, think out your moves, and go with what you feel is best. You will find that as time goes on, you will be able to pick the best move to make much faster as you start to get an understanding.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time

Wurmish

Post by Wurmish »

Being a fairly inconsistent player, I doubt I have enough experience to put too much into this that hasn't already been said.

However, I would like to note that I DO tend to realize when I have made a critical error (relying on the RNG for victory, for example), more often than not it's that reason I mentioned, although I try to figure out what I did wrong.

As opposed to suiciding per se, I try to amass whatever forces I have, preferably with a healer, and give one last PUSH through a hopefully weak spot in enemy lines. More often than not that has unbalanced my enemy enough to deal crippling blows, and a few times, actually let me win the match in a desperate kamikaze. Most experienced players realize what it is when they see it though, and tend to wear my force down. I'm a predominantly Drake player, so my force usually moves at a fairly good clip. Most medium or small maps I might have half a chance of reaching the enemy leader.

In general, my usual problems are relying on the RNG in roughly equal circumstances (forgetting to supply reinforcements as a result), occasionally forgetting a critical village, and pressing my attack for too long.

That's my 2 cents.

Edit - I just played a 2v2, Rebels and Drakes vs Rebels and Drakes, I wound up being the victor after reading this and trying to be more cautious. That and blue didn't do so hot.

I was thinking about uploading it (1.6.5 version) for a few things that can be pointed out.
Attachments
4p_-_Narrow_replay_-_Wurmish_Drakes.gz
(32.15 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
Currently quietly developing a small faction as part of my master plan to develop an entire era independently. Art is the only concerning point for me.

chaoticwanderer

Post by chaoticwanderer »

Let's not forget the power of human emotion. I can't tell you how many battles I've lost/nearly lost because of a temporary flare of anger when my enemy made a succesful attack, and my desire to 'get back' and make up for my losses kicked in and I led an unsuccesful attack that often resulted in my loss.

I've noticed that I tend to play better when the position is in my favor, even slightly, because I tend to be a lot more cautious and make sure I maintain my slight edge.

When I'm behind, in terms of units killed or village control, even when the difference isn't too large, I typically play worse because I have a tendency to make bad decisions in an attempt to even out my losses, e.g trying to get my kills/losses ratio even again if I'm behind.

I've learned time and time again that trying to make up for your losses is only going to hurt you, the kill/loss ratio only gives an idea as to who's winning; it in itself does not mean anything or determine the winner.
The RNG helps those who help themselves.

Darkmage
Translator

Post by Darkmage »

chaoticwanderer wrote:Let's not forget the power of human emotion. I can't tell you how many battles I've lost/nearly lost because of a temporary flare of anger when my enemy made a succesful attack, and my desire to 'get back' and make up for my losses kicked in and I led an unsuccesful attack that often resulted in my loss.

I've noticed that I tend to play better when the position is in my favor, even slightly, because I tend to be a lot more cautious and make sure I maintain my slight edge.

When I'm behind, in terms of units killed or village control, even when the difference isn't too large, I typically play worse because I have a tendency to make bad decisions in an attempt to even out my losses, e.g trying to get my kills/losses ratio even again if I'm behind.

I've learned time and time again that trying to make up for your losses is only going to hurt you, the kill/loss ratio only gives an idea as to who's winning; it in itself does not mean anything or determine the winner.
Sure it does not ;) on a game i was on the back ofkill/loss, of course i was... I used WCs to back my defense while the other didn't, definetly, it is a pity how most people underestimate them, i discovered them a month and a half ago and... surprise!! well used work! do not expect a great sucess with them they are low HP and hardly level but they are nice shields or skeleton-DA bore ;)