Eastern Invasion - Undead Crossing

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Fortify

Eastern Invasion - Undead Crossing

Post by Fortify »

Hi all,
The eastern invasion is a great campaign - on medium! Most levels are the correct length as I am never finishing with many turns to spare I thought I was doing well as I have upgraded many units including 6 Shock troops, 1 Dragoon. And I have 2 mages, 1 shock troop, 1 horseman and Gweddey(sp?) almost upgraded.

I reach the undead crossing with only 155 gold so my best mix to buy is

Recall
1 Horseman
1 Mage
3 ShockTroops
1 Dragoon
and Recruit
1 Horseman

If I charge across the water I meet the undead at night and take significant dammage then the Cuttlefish are summoned and they have so much mobility that they can swoop in and pick off one of the main characters no matter where I hide them.

If I stay back on land I can easily with the fights but by the time I kill the fishies and charge across the game is over with me halfway there.

I have tried to sneak the horses around the long way but if they get there to soon they meet with too many Revenant/Boneshooters.

What do you suggest?

Thanks
The shovel saves more lives than the sword.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

I won this level with a holy-watered Lancer[1], and a bunch of Knights. The cuttlefish were too slow, I killed the Lich first.

However, even 5 Iron Maulers, Gweddry Level 3 with Holy Water, and Dacyn Level 3 have no chance in crossing the water. This is a very difficult level. I got across the non-Undead Crossing fairly easily in Hard with no recalls at all, so yu should probably go that way.

[1] Giving holy water to a lancer is overkill.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Fortify

Still couldn't finish

Post by Fortify »

I tried this about another 10 times and I got really close once. Sent horseman, knight, and Dragoon around the far side after I lure the Cuttlefish/L2 skelletons to the south. If I finish them quickly I can run everyone accross to join the 3 horsemen on TURN 18/18. To try and finish the Lich in one turn of combat at NIGHT!!!!

That one was possible if I was luckier.

I wasn't. Good challange but a little tough.

Maybe I will go back and try the other branch.

Cheers,
Fortify
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Re: Still couldn't finish

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Fortify wrote:TURN 18/18.
Turin is too skimpy with his turns IMO.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Fortify

Enough turns

Post by Fortify »

Elvish Pillager wrote
Turin is too skimpy with his turns IMO.
I like the levels that are tight so you can't build up lots of gold and walk through later levels but I don't think there are enough reasonable turns for undead crossing and since no one else has responded (except for EP thanks!) I think I am right.

Great work Turin but how about 2 more turns for Undead Crossing?

Cheers,
Fortify
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I like keeping turns in multiples of 6 if possible, but i might change the number of turns. I'm going to play through the campaign again to test all of the scenarios, so when i get to it i will do whatever changes i think are necessary.

IIRC, though, my strategy was to use paladins and dragoons with holy water to kill the lich, and use iron maulers to distract the revenants he recruits. I finished around turn 16.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Fortify

Post by Fortify »

Turin wrote:
IIRC, though, my strategy was to use paladins and dragoons with holy water to kill the lich, and use iron maulers to distract the revenants he recruits.
I didn't have holy water in my version I was using the one that came with release 8.0.

Maybe I should have paid more attention to leveling a variety of units(more horsemen and cavelrymen) instead of just Heavy Infantry. It might still be ok just bad my bad judgement having so many HI upgraded. I had no Paladins and only 1 dragoon.

Thanks Turin.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

The holy waters up to that point are in the northern passage in Escape Tunnel and in the middle of the lake in The Northern Outpost. They have been in every version i have released, so i'm pretty sure you could have gotten them.

Also, horsemen may be bad against undead, but they are good against many other enemies, and you fight non-undead in Elven Alliance, Northern Outpost and Two Paths, so you have a chance to level up some horsemen.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Fortify

Holy Water?

Post by Fortify »

Turin Wrote
The holy waters up to that point are in the northern passage in Escape Tunnel and in the middle of the lake in The Northern Outpost.
Have I been missing somthing in the rules, I thought that Holy Water lasted only for the rest of scenario not the rest of the campaign? Thus I thought the one in the lake on Northern outpost was a red herring.

Thanks again,
Fortify
Dacyn

Re: Holy Water?

Post by Dacyn »

Fortify wrote:Have I been missing somthing in the rules
I wouldn't consider the effects of holy water to be rules, since they are determined by the scenario designer and not the game engine.
Fortify wrote:I thought that Holy Water lasted only for the rest of scenario not the rest of the campaign?
That is true for HttT holy water, but in EI holy water lasts forever. This is explained clearly when you get the holy water, but maybe it needs to be explained before that?
turin
Lord of the East

Re: Holy Water?

Post by turin »

Dacyn wrote:
Fortify wrote:I thought that Holy Water lasted only for the rest of scenario not the rest of the campaign?
That is true for HttT holy water, but in EI holy water lasts forever. This is explained clearly when you get the holy water, but maybe it needs to be explained before that?
I don't think so, and i can't really think of a way i could do it anyhow, but if people really want to have it explained earlier, i'll try to find a way.
The World of Orbivm
Fortify

Changed the effect of holy water. Doh!

Post by Fortify »

Indeed it does say "Holy for Life". I think I was so proud that I was playing well and not restoring that I just saw what I expected to see. I read your message and ignored the for Life implications.

I don't think you need to change it. You need more careful players! (me :oops: )

Cheers,
Fortify
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I think that perhaps Eastern Invasion should use a different item to holy water to make weapons holy permanently.

The holy water in HttT should probably say "makes melee weapons holy for the remainder of the scenario"

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Dave wrote:I think that perhaps Eastern Invasion should use a different item to holy water to make weapons holy permanently.

The holy water in HttT should probably say "makes melee weapons holy for the remainder of the scenario"

David
what would be good? I can't think of anything... holy water seems like the obvious choice.
The World of Orbivm
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

holy ointment ?