Stuck On The Princess Of Wesnoth

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

usr-sbin

Stuck On The Princess Of Wesnoth

Post by usr-sbin »

I am currently stuck on the princess of wesnoth, this is my first campaign as I am new to the game, it is on the easiest difficulty level but I still cannot beat it. I think one of the problems is that I started the campaign when I still did not grasp the concept of using bows against melee only units and I also did not understand leveling fully so I do not have many level 3 units. Here is a list of my units;

Level 3 Grand Knight
Level 2 Rogue x2
Level 2 Knight x2
Level 2 Elvish Marksman
Level 2 Elvish Rider
Level 2 Elvish Hero
Level 2 Elvish Ranger
Level 2 Lancer
Level 2 White Mage

And Level 1;

Elvish Fighters
Horsemen
Mages
Mermen

Thanks Adam
Continuing Siege of Soradoc
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Stuck On The Princess Of Wesnoth

Post by thespaceinvader »

You have a few options: the risky one is to recall all your fastest units (horseman line, elvish scout line), and fill up the rest of the castle with horsemen. Charge them north, and try to assassinate Li'Sar before she can recruit too much.

The other option is a more dwarn-out battle in which you grab the village by the bridge, array your troops along the river bank, and kill the enemy in the river, healing up behind the lines.

Either way, you probably won't avoid losses.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
usr-sbin

Post by usr-sbin »

Thank you for taking the time to reply :), I tried both of the strategies but neither of them seemed to work, i think that trying to hold the river bank was flawed because I did not no hold the bridge and this allowed Li'sar's cavalry to get around and slaughter my elven fighters. Also I am a bit confused about how to form an effective line and where to position the healers. Finally which units should I recall if I want a drawn out battle? I was thinking the elven druid and the grand knight to take care of the horsemen.

Thanks Adam
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Have you looked at the walkthrough? HeirToTheThrone Learning to form an effective line is an important thing to work out - remember that your units don't have to be right next to one another to block your enemies from coming past, as they have a zone of control around them, meaning that most enemies can't get past (the exception being those with the Skirmisher ability). There are also hotkeys which can allow you to check how many enemies can reach your units.

This is probably the first really challenging scenario in HttT, it's where I first got stuck when I played. It's something of a baptism of fire, I think...

IIRC, for easy, you probably need at least 2 castles worth of recalls/recruits to finish this one, with a few horse units to lock down the enemy horses which will otherwise raid your flanks and steal your villages. Mermen and mermaids are particularly useful too, to take care of the units hiding in the mountains south of your base, grab some extra villages and, if you're lucky and they're quick, move up the river and nip at the enemy's flanks.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
usr-sbin

Post by usr-sbin »

Thank you again for relying spaceinvader, I have read the walkthrough, it was the first place I turned and it suggested charging at her with lancers or fighting in the woods. With regards to forming a line does that mean that I can form a checker board like this;

x x x x x
x x x x

With healers at the back. Thanks for the strategy to be honest I hadn't really thought of using mermen to capture the village.

Thanks Adam
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

More or less, yes.
cobra

Post by cobra »

Yeah, the good way to do it is as Spaceinvader said. But whilst your doing that, you should still try to rush Li'sar, while holding them at the river. Thats how I do it.

Good luck, and hope you beat it! :D
Thank you President Bush
Ask not what wesnoth can do for you, but what you can do for wesnoth.-cobra
usr-sbin

Post by usr-sbin »

Thank you both for your help, especially you spaceinvader. The only problem cobra is should I use a grand knight or just take lancers and knights?

Thanks Adam
cobra

Post by cobra »

usr-sbin wrote:Thank you both for your help, especially you spaceinvader. The only problem cobra is should I use a grand knight or just take lancers and knights?

Thanks Adam
You should be careful not to risk their lives, maybe take a few horsemen as cannon fodder, supported by the lancer, and knights.
Thank you President Bush
Ask not what wesnoth can do for you, but what you can do for wesnoth.-cobra
usr-sbin

Post by usr-sbin »

cobra wrote:
usr-sbin wrote:Thank you both for your help, especially you spaceinvader. The only problem cobra is should I use a grand knight or just take lancers and knights?

Thanks Adam
You should be careful not to risk their lives, maybe take a few horsemen as cannon fodder, supported by the lancer, and knights.
Thank you, I have just tried the scenario again but I lost because that fencer appeared and I forgot to attack him on one turn and he killed Konrad, other than that I was doing alright, apart from struggling to rush her but now that should be easier.

Thanks Adam
Araja

Post by Araja »

Don't a horde of Royal Guards appear every time you go near her? :|

Or am I thinking of something else?
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

no, that's the Ford of Abez.
Radament

Post by Radament »

thespaceinvader wrote: It's something of a baptism of fire, I think...
I'd say the real deal is that valley where 3 undead bear down on you (Wasn't that the next level?)

On this level it's hard to kill units within 1 turn, so basically you wear them down at night and at dawn let them run into your cannon fodder (I'd suggest a fighter for 2-3 recalls) in the forest. Long time ago i used to push my attacks just to kill that 3hp-left pikeman, but you really get chopped if you're standing wrong, coz Li'sar just pumps a steady flow of reinforcements. They'll leave you no time to recover heavily wounded units, so watch your hp.

If you had Silver mages, it would all be a lot easier.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

How can you not beat this level with that recall list? Its probably better than mine usually is. You'll lose some units, but short of getting reckless it shouldn't be that hard.

I agree this is a tough fight, though. My usual cause of defeat is getting careless and allowing my leaders to be surrounded and killed. With that many level twos and threes, it might be safer to keep Delfador, Konrad, and Kalenze out of the heaviest fighting, since you won't need them as much.

The only other suggestions I can give are to make sure you're grabbing all the outlying villages, and to make sure that enemy units aren't circling round and getting behind your lines where they can threaten your weaker or leader units. This means that you don't want to make a stand around the bridge in the river only- my experience is that the AI will simply cross the river to the South if you do that. My usual method is to split my forces into two equal-sized groups, sending one to the bridge and another to ford the river further south. I've never tried the rush Li'sar with a group of cavalry approach, so I can't speak to its effectiveness or lack thereof. I usually go for a slower, more methodical advance across the map, while sending my faster units out to grab remote villages.

As thespaceinvader already mentioned, it is definitely worthwhile to recall a few merpeople in this scenario, and with luck you might get them some xp as well. Their are a few scenarios later on in HttT where leveled merpeople can be useful, so its something to keep in mind. Since they'll initially be down south grabbing water villages, they will be in a good position to help take out the fence when he shows up if Konrad needs help.

For forming a line, I'll just second what's already been said: melee units in front, healers behind.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
usr-sbin

Post by usr-sbin »

Thank you for all of the advice, one of my problems is that I always feel the need to kill that unit who has low hitpoints. How do you normally level mages quickly, I aways find that they die to quickly because they get surrounded by about three people. How do I stop this?

Thanks Adam