Bats: Flying Wonders?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Scipion121212

Re: Bats: Flying Wonders?

Post by Scipion121212 »

Araja wrote:
Scipion121212 wrote:Mushroom groves DON´T EXIST, so they are unused to them
Hmmmm, no that one really doesn't do it for me :wink:
Well, have you ever seen one? :P
Araja

Post by Araja »

Yes, I'll show a photograph:
Winterhg.JPG
You can clearly see a grove of giant mushrooms near the bottom of the picture :mrgreen:
Scipion121212

Post by Scipion121212 »

Argh, you got me. :x
Yoyobuae

Post by Yoyobuae »

I wonder how many of those trees are really woses xD.
Araja

Post by Araja »

I'm sure none if them are...OH GOD NOOOOO!!!
OMFG.JPG
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Araja wrote:I'm sure none if them are...OH GOD NOOOOO!!!
OMFG.JPG
You should had used at least a transparent version of the sprite ...
Orin

Post by Orin »

This is why competitive maps don't have large patches of forest.
Attachments
OMFG2.jpg
My motto: "Never trust anything on 70% defense"
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

Araja wrote:I like sitenuker's explanation best,
Rigors is so complex it's funny :D
that is because huge chunks are true :)

although i must confess that i invented a little story about the psychodelic spores :eng:

i find sitenukers explanation great as well - the only drawback is, u cant use this explanation for drakes and gripphs, whilst mine is universally valid ;)
sitenuker

Post by sitenuker »

Rigor wrote:
i find sitenukers explanation great as well - the only drawback is, u cant use this explanation for drakes and gripphs, whilst mine is universally valid ;)
Not quite universally. Though I do picture drakes, (except gliders) bumbling along close to the ground (too heavy to fly properly) a gryphons place is high in the sky, far out of reach of any dangerous spores. Of course it would have to come down to fight but crossing hexes would be done at high altitude.

Maybe the mushrooms are just ridonkulously huge? Like, kilometres high?

Hang on, maybe the correct conditions for the giant mushrooms to grow depend on volcanic activity, this is why they do not spread all over Wesnoth. They need the heat and minerals provided by a volcanic crater (or something). The heat causes a thermal updraft leading to a mountain-high toxic pillar of spores(this is a cool image, if nothing else). Ground level is quite safe though. which is why units ending their turn on a mushroom grove do not suffer any ill effects.

Drawback - makes Rigors complicated explanation even longer and more complicated! :lol2:
Araja

Post by Araja »

I had to open the image it in paint and cut-paste it over to the forest, then copy-paste it everywhere I needed it.

The unit images are actually on a white background, which was carried over, and even if I carefully cut out the woses, it added a black outline.
It rather spoils the effect I'll admit, but if you think you can do better I await your result :P

And on the mushroom slows flyers debate, how about this one:

Gryphon Rider:" Oh wow look at the size of those mushrooms! slow down so I take a picture!"
Gryphon: "Kreeaaaeeiiiaaaaaa!" (Translation: "Oh not another one! you have dozens of mushroom pictures!"
Skrim

Post by Skrim »

sitenuker wrote:Not quite universally. Though I do picture drakes, (except gliders) bumbling along close to the ground (too heavy to fly properly) a gryphons place is high in the sky, far out of reach of any dangerous spores. Of course it would have to come down to fight but crossing hexes would be done at high altitude.
Nonsense.

We all know that every flying unit in the Wesnoth world skims just a few feet above the ground. If Gryphons actually flew at high altitude, they couldn't be trapped by a pair of Orcish Grunts or Merman Fighters or other melee-only land-bound unit that could never pose a threat to a high-flying creature.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Every single flying critter in Wesnoth has severe acrophobia...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
grrr

Post by grrr »

thespaceinvader wrote:Every single flying critter in Wesnoth has severe acrophobia...
Wow! ... *stunned* ... This is brilliant! Such clear logic, so convincing! TSI, please - update the flyer descriptions ASAP =)
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

sitenuker wrote:
Maybe the mushrooms are just ridonkulously huge? Like, kilometres high?

....do not spread all over Wesnoth....heat causes a thermal updraft....units ending their turn on a mushroom grove do not suffer any ill effects....

Drawback - makes Rigors complicated explanation even longer and more complicated! :lol2:
slowly our sophisticated explanation makes sense:

1) given that mushrooms are really huge, and given that there is more heat which supports their perfect growing conditions, and of course that spores are not heavy entities but very light ones, these spores get up in the air very quickly like dust particles over the furnace.

2)this can easily explain why only FLYING units are affected (a concentrated particle cloud drifts upwards and gets diluted after the wind blows them into other hexes where they pose no threat to anyone).

3)the units which are on ground level are also affected: but this variable is depending on their sensitivity - e.g. horses with their large nostrils. btw, the bats are hanging from the mushrooms bottom side so they are not in contact with the updraft.

im looking forward to your answers.

this guy (Carollia perspicillata) is really cute id say
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

well, the thing with the whole "they fly kilometers in the sky" thing only makes sense for scouting missions. for things like combat, resting, and village claiming they would actually have to be either very near the ground or on the ground, where they could be affected by the spores without needing thermal updrafts or gigantic mushrooms. also, the spores would probably have a distribution area around the actual mushroom patch, since they are so light. they could also be affected by the spores simply by coming into contact with another unit that had been in the mushrooms, which is very likely since most races have units that get better dodge on mushroom groves than flat. they may be asymptomatic at such a low level of exposure, but it would become a problem at higher spore levels, such as when they are flying over/through the grove (kind of like an allergy. pollon can float hundreds on miles on the average breeze.).
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code