Bats: Flying Wonders?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Bats: Flying Wonders?

Post by thespaceinvader »

Alternatively, chill out. If you try to apply physics to things which are supernatural, you will BREAK YOUR BRAIN...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
manored

Post by manored »

Pentarctagon wrote: if an enemy gets any unit, but scouts in particular, then it is very important to kill them before they disrupt your income to much by taking a bunch of villages. also, it is not that difficult to catch a bat with with 2-3 units. a good combination is an elvish scout to force the bat to move, along with an elvish archer both for the ranged attack and because the archer has 6 base movement.
Sorry, I was ambiguous. I dont mean "move dangerously" as in treating the enemy, but as in giving the enemy a chance to attack or surround the bat. Basically, dont move him in range of anyone or anywhere where he might have his retreat path cut-off in one turn.

About ghosts: Since Wesnoths world is magical, maybe we could say that all things on it are magical... water is the source of life, and thus opposes unlife. Since ghosts are "pure unlife", they are extremelly affected by this. How about that? :)
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Pentarctagon wrote:but that begs the question, how do ghosts, which need to absorb energy to exist, have enough left over to spend it on levitation?
I've got the impression that a ghost is not really this heavy, that flying is a problem. A ghost consists of not much more than air ...
Araja

Post by Araja »

If you consist of not much more than air, wouldn't you expect not flying to be the problem?

"Whaaaaaa I'm floating away again!" :D
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Why would you float if you were composed mostly of air?

Balloons don't float away, do they, unless they're filled with something explicitly NOT air, i.e. helium or other lighter-than-air gases.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

so the real question is: Is ectoplasm lighter than air? heavier? or about the same?
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Skrim

Post by Skrim »

palloco wrote:
Skrim wrote:There is no conservation of mass/energy in Wesnoth. Look at Trolls. They supposedly eat very little according to their race description, yet they have enough left-over protein mass to regenerate at such a rapid pace.
In no place of the description it says anything about trolls having proteins. Trolls have a strange physiology, more than animals they can be considered living minerals as most of they body is constituted by earth and rock. As such regeneration simply means restoring body placements. They are unconsciously capable of transforming kinetic energy into arcane energy, which is what keeps them alive and allows them to do what they do.

Skrim wrote:And Magi. They pull fire balls out of nowhere, violating energy conservation and thermodynamics at the same time. WINE.
They are able to transform inner and external kinetic energy into arcane energy

:shock:

:|

Ok....

I'm not going to argue. I've had enough fridge logic to last a couple of weeks.
Now I must go and chant the MST3K Mantra a few dozen times...
bobtheknight

Post by bobtheknight »

Pentarctagon wrote:so the real question is: Is ectoplasm lighter than air? heavier? or about the same?
I reckon ectoplasm changes density, that's how i believe ghosts to attack anway.
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

Fantasy is not subject to physics, anyone? :roll:
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
Skrim

Post by Skrim »

Indeed. Fantasy worlds cannot be rationalized using real-world physics. The entire discussion about Ghosts or Woses or Saurians is nothing but Wild Mass Guessing.

And anyway, this thread is supposed to be about Bats.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

yeah, we've kinda got off topic for the last two pages lol. so back on topic...i nominate the dreadbat as Wesnoth's Most Annoying Unit.
manored

Post by manored »

Pentarctagon wrote:yeah, we've kinda got off topic for the last two pages lol. so back on topic...i nominate the dreadbat as Wesnoth's Most Annoying Unit.
I agree, and I suggest we give it the nickname "flying powerhouse" :)

I have never really seen a dread bat in action though, but considering how awesome a blood bat is... :)
Araja

Post by Araja »

They're actually a hex slower than the Blood Bats, but they do make up for it.

I nominate the Vampire Bat as Wesnoth's most annoying unit, because they are so common that the sheer mass of their annoyances outweighs those of Blood or Dread bats, quantity of annoyance over quality of annoyance.
manored

Post by manored »

Araja wrote:They're actually a hex slower than the Blood Bats, but they do make up for it.

I nominate the Vampire Bat as Wesnoth's most annoying unit, because they are so common that the sheer mass of their annoyances outweighs those of Blood or Dread bats, quantity of annoyance over quality of annoyance.
Well, I suppose if we are going to use some criteria, it should be anoyance potential per cost... I think vampire bats indeed win :)
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

i would definitely say that ghosts come in a close second though, with their resistances and draining and 50% everywhere.