Help wanted with Northern Rebirth: Stolen Gold.

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

denelic

Re: Help wanted with Northern Rebirth: Stolen Gold.

Post by denelic »

When I did NR I usually had about 10-12 Dwarven Lords (lv3 dwarf fighters) by the end of the first cave scenario. The one with the mine and lich at the end.

When I got to this scenario I recalled 9 of the dwarves and moved into the mountains to the south of the starting area. I then setup a triangle with the corners next to the hills and keep. In these mountains your dwarves will have a 70% defense and with the trolls in the hills (50%) and keep (60%) you have a slight advantage, and in rive (20%) where you will kill them constantly. I would have it so one WM or the druid behind each of your corners.

The objective is to rotate out hurt units to get healed in the center and to keep strong ones on the outer edges. I would sit in this spot the entire fight and kill every troll and then when the enemy was thin I would push out to their leaders. The AI will come to you so just wait. Don't attack at night unless its with a caster, to finish off a low health troll, or if the unit is in the river. You will kill them fast enough don't rush it.

I usually ended the scenario with no casualties (minus drakes) and also not letting them escape.

If you have Krash at this point I would send 1 dwarf and 1 lich to the western mountains to support at the very beginning
silent

Post by silent »

The Great Rings wrote:I went back a couple scenarios and replayed it with a different recall list (some griffons I think, a thunderer (level 2), and a Longbowman ended up in my force). However, I still couldn't zoc the troll even with a quick griffon, and this time around I lost the fire mage before hand. In the end, I beat it by replaying turn one until the lichs managed to take out the blue leader in one turn by luck, and defending the centre against the rest (I think the thunderer helped too).

Something odd happened in the next scenario, though. Around turn 35, the orcs looked like they were finally running out of troops, only recruiting a few a turn, etc. Then suddenly, out of nowhere, at the end of one turn they recruit about as many as at the start of the scenario; that is to say, dozens. I didn't know the AI hoarded gold, but I don't know how the hell else that could have happened.
If you're now referring to the eastern flank, that would be because one of the leaders forgets to jump back on the keep (in my case, the purple warlord)

that should explain it
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

silent wrote: If you're now referring to the eastern flank, that would be because one of the leaders forgets to jump back on the keep (in my case, the purple warlord)

that should explain it
Btw this is related to a nice piece of speech by one on of the orc/troll leaders in the very beginning which goes along the lines:
Out of my way, I'm trying to recruit soldiers here!

One of my favourite lines!

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
silent

Post by silent »

HomerJ wrote:
silent wrote: If you're now referring to the eastern flank, that would be because one of the leaders forgets to jump back on the keep (in my case, the purple warlord)

that should explain it
Btw this is related to a nice piece of speech by one on of the orc/troll leaders in the very beginning which goes along the lines:
Out of my way, I'm trying to recruit soldiers here!

One of my favourite lines!

Greetz
HomerJ
Ah yes forgot about that, unfortunately, just as I break into the keep they decide to let the stockpiling leader back on to recruit and it threatens to go really badly.

Seeing as he's got that far I'll offer some bizarre strategy I used. Get Tallin into a recruiting hex as soon as you break in and proceed to fill all vacant tile slots with peasants. This will stop you from having to refight your way through a lot of orc spam, and therefore just a little, which your undead allies, mages and Tallin can easily blast through.

You should do a similar thing with Krash for extra hole-plugging, since the peasants will die horribly, but they do the job, since the turn limit is tighter than it seems if you're trying to keep the 10-14 Dwarf lords you've leveled alive.
dELFador

Post by dELFador »

I don't know if this belongs here, but how do you get tallin to become a grand marshal? when I level him, he becomes a royal guard just like any other peasant... :cry:
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Try to teach a man to fish, and he will resent you for trying to make him work.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Wait until after The Pursuit. Once you win that level, the Dwarves will be able to make equipment for you, and this will allow you to recruit Bowmen and Spearmen, and Tallin will turn from whatever you levelled him to, into the equivalent level in the sergeant line.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
dELFador

Post by dELFador »

thank you very much :D
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Try to teach a man to fish, and he will resent you for trying to make him work.