Necromancer vs Lich

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

AThousandYoung

Necromancer vs Lich

Post by AThousandYoung »

Why would anyone choose to upgrade a unit to a Necromancer? It seems like a much lamer unit than a Lich.
Joram

Re: Necromancer vs Lich

Post by Joram »

Well, it doesn't suffer the same resistance penalties to fire, arcane, and impact for one thing.
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Has a plague attack, too, which can be very useful in campaigns, plenty of free cannon fodder.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Necromancers are actualy a bit more resiliant than liches, especialy against enemies who do well against skelotons. They get +10 Hp and no vulnerabilities (as a minor note, Liches have less resistance to blade/peirce than most skelotons, less weakness to impact though they do have the same weakness to fire and arcane)

Necromancer damage, although less than the liches overall does it in two strikes which has some advantages and disadvantages.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Liches can summon 3 dread bats per turn. Necromancers get 9 soulless's.
AThousandYoung

Post by AThousandYoung »

Huh? Dread Bats?
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Gambit wrote:Liches can summon 3 dread bats per turn. Necromancers get 9 soulless's.
...say what? In which UMC is this possible, cos it sure ain't in mainline...?
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Dragonchampion

Post by Dragonchampion »

Probably in his Gambit's Empire Builder addon...
Ehhhh... don't mind me, I'm just the annoying little modder who gets on peoples nerves. I'll just lurk till Someone says my name. :P

Oh, and also Creator of The War Of Terrador
randomdragoon

Post by randomdragoon »

In addition to the other things that people have said, the lich gets better movement -- 6 movement and can move through deep water.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

The OP was asking why anyone would get a necromancer. We all know why you'd choose a lich, they do more damage then have a better melee attack with drain, they have semi-skeletal resitances and extra movement.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
ninjarealist

Post by ninjarealist »

Necromancer's are tanks. They have no glaring weaknesses to any damage type and a base HP of 70 is nothing to scoff at either. Lich's are usually much easier to kill with the proper units.
AThousandYoung

Post by AThousandYoung »

The only thing I've ever been able to kill lichs with were groups of suicide mages. That drain attack makes them really hard to kill by melee and their ranged attack is brutal. What are the proper units?
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Dwarf Lords on high defence terrain. Anything with a strong impact attack on high defence terrain, for that matter. It depends on what's available really. I've used suicide Footpads and Thugs in the past, from good terrain... The really important thing is to attack them on bad terrain from good terrain, which negates their drain attack fairly well, since that's not got the magical special. Using troops strong against arcane is a plus, too (Paladins, if you've got them, will do the trick nicely, but it's unusual to be able to field them against liches...).
Taimat

Post by Taimat »

Couple of mages of light. Silver mages do the job well too, since they have that great arcane defence.

Alternatively, thirty six dwarven ulfserkers.
Dragonchampion

Post by Dragonchampion »

:shock:

WOW...

That would be a GOOD I dea, sending Ulfserkers against a person with drain... :roll:
Ehhhh... don't mind me, I'm just the annoying little modder who gets on peoples nerves. I'll just lurk till Someone says my name. :P

Oh, and also Creator of The War Of Terrador