Worst Trait/Unit Combinatons

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

AThousandYoung

Worst Trait/Unit Combinatons

Post by AThousandYoung »

What traits make you groan inside when you see them crop up on certain units?

For example, Strong on Elvish Shamans (or Mages...or the Undead mages especially! CAN they get strong?).

Another for me is Quick on Move 6 units.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Re: Worst Trait/Unit Combinatons

Post by Astoria »

Intelligent AMLA unit....
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Gwilendiel

Post by Gwilendiel »

Um.

I actually don't like to see Quick. On anything. (except occasional merfolk, maybe)
It is some times a help I guess but I can get by without it more often than it actually benefits me, especially when I tend to pull up short with movement anyway, to avoid getting too far into threatened territories... unless I just have units traveling across open space with no enemies around (and usually it's mobile units doing that anyway)

Not that it's bad on its own, just that I would rather have that trait spot filled with something else... but that's just how it is so I make use of it as best I can (especially since the enemy can have it too)
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Quick is useful to me, but it depends on the campaign. If it's a campaign where I could use the quick unit to gain villages or maneuver around an enemy, sure, that's great, but when I get it on campaigns that have a number of moving scenarios (get from Point A to Point B, fight through to here, do a fighting retreat, etc.), I find that having one unit that always goes a bit further than the others is a pain when I am trying to keep units together.

It's also just great to have on dwarfs, as having a couple of them who can actually move like the enemy units is a nice benefit.

Really though, I just try to make the most of what I get. Sometimes I get a whole bunch of quick units and then there's one guy who's left behind to slow the enemy down. ;)
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Akkarin345

Post by Akkarin345 »

AThousandYoung wrote:What traits make you groan inside when you see them crop up on certain units?

For example, Strong on Elvish Shamans (or Mages...or the Undead mages especially! CAN they get strong?).

Another for me is Quick on Move 6 units.
I think quick on fast units is great. If you get a quick and strong horsemen then when they get to Lv 3 they can take villages with ease while being able to have added strength.

I guess i don't mind traits on any units for a campaign. For example if you got a strong mage why not level him into a mage of light? Strong liches with drain and Slyphs with strong magical melee attacks are good.
Barsoom

Post by Barsoom »

Quick is always useful IMO. When keeping units together, having a quick unit means that it can take care of something and then catch up without the others having to wait. I actually don't like Intelligent on a unit that can only level once. That's probably worse than Strong on a mage.
Gwilendiel

Post by Gwilendiel »

Barsoom wrote:Quick is always useful IMO. When keeping units together, having a quick unit means that it can take care of something and then catch up without the others having to wait. I actually don't like Intelligent on a unit that can only level once. That's probably worse than Strong on a mage.
I wouldn't say it's always useful. :D You can't really use it in every situation, and you can make do in situations where you don't have it.

It isn't always useless either, I have made good use of quick units. But I figure that a trait that boosts HP or damage (or a pair of traits that boosts both) is good to have all the time.

With quick you not only have resilient units and then average units, but you also have units with below average HP as well, and to me more HP is useful more often than moving an extra square in exchange for being the least durable unit you could have for that type.

Of course, thats just my personal (and biased?) opinion. I'm not saying quick is bad, I'm just saying I dislike it.
:D

Edit: Though resilient + quick isn't so bad I guess. Loyal + quick is probably my least favorite (for example on the mermen it means 2 less hp than average at level 1, with even more disparity at higher levels since it is percentage based) but luckily that combo doesn't appear very often.

Edit edit: Though I recall that I do find it useful on healers and units that have low HP to begin with, (like on Shamans its a 1 hp difference I think) but if in a campaign I had to choose between a Grand Knight with Strong (or Resilient) and a Grand Knight with Quick, I'll take the non-quick one almost always.
csarmi

strong casters

Post by csarmi »

Well, I love strong shamans. Also, strong/resilient for mages is one of the best combinations for them. HP matters a lot, and the extra damage is useful more often than you would think.

Shamans also use melee quite often and that's NOT negligible vs undead.

In campaigns, I tend to ignore intelligent units because they level fast enough without that trait already. In survivals too, because there levelling sooner is often BAD for you (upkeep).

In multiplayer, intelligent is useful very often.
silent

Post by silent »

My least favourite trait has to be quick/intelligent

while it can be useful later on in a campaign, I really feel such a combination makes it far too easy for an opponent to slay such a unit, with the exception of something such as a dwarven guardsman.

It especially annoys me on magi.

Or it could just be I hate the combo as I find it is detrimental against drakes, which I enjoy playing when playing multiplayer
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

I hate getting strong on anything that's primarily a missile unit and doesn't have any melee to speak of (shamans! mages!) or even melee units that don't get many attacks (grunts sometimes... trolls... heavy infantry), because that tiny bit of extra damage rarely makes a difference, and resilient/intelligent, or fearless/something, or quick/fearless is a much better combination. I especially dislike strong/quick trolls, because almost any other combination makes them a much better tank, in my opinion.
uzy5o

Post by uzy5o »

silent wrote:My least favourite trait has to be quick/intelligent

[...]

It especially annoys me on magi.
IMO quick/intelligent is the best trait on mages, at least in campaigns, because many campaigns have scenarios that involve fighting undead in caves, and 6 move mages are very useful there. Intelligent is because mages take a lot of exp to level, so it saves exp for other units.
Zachron

Post by Zachron »

I love strong Shamans, my favorite combination on any unit is Strong/Resilient.

Quick/Intelligent together, I won't recall unless it's a horseman. On any other unit, it's my least favorite combination.
Project Battlescar: An rpg engine of my own design.
http://battlescar.wikispaces.com/
gs3user007

Post by gs3user007 »

Is there a page somewhere that has a list of these traits and their effects?
AThousandYoung

Post by AThousandYoung »

There is in-game in the Help menu.

LightFighter wrote:Intelligent AMLA unit....
What's an AMLA unit? I kind of like the idea of getting more frequent AMLAs, especially for front line heavy fighters. It's a full heal and 3 HP permanent boost each time!
uzy5o

Post by uzy5o »

Why would you even try to level max-level units in the first place? I usually use them to soften enemies for not-max-level units to kill, since they make much better use of the exp. I only let max-level units get kills in emergencies, like preventing someone from dying, and in difficult scenarios.